Who was that aerobat??

jshawley

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Shawley
So I was on the northeast side of Fulton, MO on my way to Columbia. Working my way out to get on US 54, I glance up and to the west/northwest, and see a plane at an unusual attitude. I wonder why it's climbing while at such an increasingly steep bank. Then I figure it out: it's doing an aileron roll! Watch it some more, and see it doing a half Cuban eight (correct me if I"m wrong: climbed, (got obscured by trees so I am guessing it...) came over the top, rolled upright, dove back to the start altitude, opposite direction). So I'm guessing that's a half Cuban. At any rate, it was so neat! Couldn't tell the colors, with my amber sunglasses, but as it crossed over 54, I pull off the road, grab the binoculars in the S-10's console and try to get a look at the N-number: couldn't see, but I did confirm that wasn't Diana :)rolleyes: ). It was an open-cockpit, radial-engined biplane--I suspect it was a Stearman, yellow and blue.

It made my whole day... Sigh-h-h-h-h.

Jim

jshawley said:
Watch it some more, and see it doing a half Cuban eight (correct me if I"m wrong: climbed, (got obscured by trees so I am guessing it...) came over the top, rolled upright, dove back to the start altitude, opposite direction). So I'm guessing that's a half Cuban.
Sounds like a half Cuban. Although, my Immelmann's look like that too sometimes. :redface:

jshawley said:
At any rate, it was so neat! Couldn't tell the colors, with my amber sunglasses, but as it crossed over 54, I pull off the road,
Good thing you pulled off! :D

jshawley said:
grab the binoculars in the S-10's console and try to get a look at the N-number: couldn't see, but I did confirm that wasn't Diana :)rolleyes: ).
Nope, unfortunately, I haven't done acro since the Yak flight in July. :(

jshawley said:
It was an open-cockpit, radial-engined biplane--I suspect it was a Stearman, yellow and blue.

It made my whole day... Sigh-h-h-h-h.
It's the little things in life. :yes:

Jim, if you are ever this far west, stop by and we'll do some acro at the farm. :)

Back