Who thinks of this stuff?

wayne

Pattern Altitude
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
wayne
Departing out of Olive Branch, MS (OLV - under the MEM Bravo), I get "radar vectors to join the Memphis 098 radial, ...." WTF? 098, not 100? No, there's not a Departure Procedure for OLV. That was just part of the IFR clearance.

Of course on the way into OLV, they're using ILS 18 as the reported weather is "BKN024 BKN032", though at 3,000' I'm under all the clouds, OLV is 6.5 nm to my west and I call it in sight and ATC says there's a Cessna on a "12 mile final". WTF? I look for it on my iPad, yep, a 172, not a 421, and it's doing a whopping 63 knots across the ground, 12 nm out. I could have been in the FBO having a coffee before he landed. ;)

Departing out of Olive Branch, MS (OLV - under the MEM Bravo), I get "radar vectors to join the Memphis 098 radial, ...." WTF? 098, not 100? No, there's not a Departure Procedure for OLV. That was just part of the IFR clearance.

Of course on the way into OLV, they're using ILS 18 as the reported weather is "BKN024 BKN032", though at 3,000' I'm under all the clouds, OLV is 6.5 nm to my west and I call it in sight and ATC says there's a Cessna on a "12 mile final". WTF? I look for it on my iPad, yep, a 172, not a 421, and it's doing a whopping 63 knots across the ground, 12 nm out. I could have been in the FBO having a coffee before he landed. ;)

Even though there was no departure procedure for OLV they may have been vectoring you onto the ELVIS4.ETREE departure from MEM in order to separate you from other traffic they had.

So what’s the big deal? From your description I see nothing weird. 98* vs 100* radial? No big deal, dial it up.

Remember, weather is reported directly over an airport so while the ceiling may be different where you are doesn’t mean it’s the same as the airport’s.

Shoulda cancelled IFR and jumped the line then!

Even though there was no departure procedure for OLV they may have been vectoring you onto the ELVIS4.ETREE departure from MEM in order to separate you from other traffic they had.

Yep, that looks like what it was. I figured something odd like "098 radial" was part of a DP, but there were none for OLV. There are 19 DPs for MEM. :eek:

And it would have been easier, for me, to intercept MEM - ETREE than the MEM 098 radial.

Shoulda cancelled IFR and jumped the line then!

Yep, something I need to do more often. Not to "cut in line", but to make things easier, or at least more under my control.

Although in this case the MEM Bravo space overlaps the OLV Delta space, and the Bravo space is lower than the Delta space; 1800' floor on the Bravo and 2900' ceiling on the Delta. I'm pretty darn sure that means the Bravo rules where there is overlap. Just north of the Delta space it's clear that there's only Bravo and the floor is 1800'.

I call it in sight and ATC says there's a Cessna on a "12 mile final". WTF? I look for it on my iPad, yep, a 172, not a 421, and it's doing a whopping 63 knots across the ground, 12 nm out. I could have been in the FBO having a coffee before he landed. ;)
I've been on the other side of this many times. Just a month ago on the arrival to FTG, I was some 3 miles on base, when tower says: "head direct to runway, King Air on final". Because of Bravo I was already low to the ground and could not dive to gain any speed. I cut the corner as much as I could and popped onto final half a mile in. Talk about stabilized approaches. Right at that time they gave up and instructed the King Air to make a 360. I don't know what they expected. And if I landed gear-up because I was flustered, it would be on me.

I've been on the other side of this many times. Just a month ago on the arrival to FTG, I was some 3 miles on base, when tower says: "head direct to runway, King Air on final". Because of Bravo I was already low to the ground and could not dive to gain any speed. I cut the corner as much as I could and popped onto final half a mile in. Talk about stabilized approaches. Right at that time they gave up and instructed the King Air to make a 360. I don't know what they expected. And if I landed gear-up because I was flustered, it would be on me.

I think they expected you to comply with instructions or say "unable." Sounds like you did and all ended well.

Wait....you were in Denver, at FTG and didn't tell anyone in advance? We coulda had lunch, at least.

Yep, something I need to do more often. Not to "cut in line", but to make things easier, or at least more under my control.

Although in this case the MEM Bravo space overlaps the OLV Delta space, and the Bravo space is lower than the Delta space; 1800' floor on the Bravo and 2900' ceiling on the Delta. I'm pretty darn sure that means the Bravo rules where there is overlap. Just north of the Delta space it's clear that there's only Bravo and the floor is 1800'.
See AIM 3-1-3. When you're in B, you're in B.

Back