Who should pay for the cost of rescues?

That's quite the contradiction.

An ex-military person asking me if I value human life. Hmm... Note that you use the word human too, implying you care little about other species.

I guess I do value life. I don't own a gun, if that's what you mean.

Finally, as to having an opinion: Scientists are taught specifically to never have opinions. We observe, gather data, and then come up with a hypothesis. We cheer when somebody comes up with a better one too.

Cheers.

What data did you observe in my question indicated I wanted to know if you owned a firearm? Interesting way to get to a hypothesis on whether search and rescue operations should be publicly funded or billed for services rendered.

How would you even test an hypothesis like that anyways?

I've heard this a couple times about the sub 'these rich idiots got on a piece of crap, F* 'em!'

You went way beyond what I said. I never said anything close to F' the rich idiots. I was responding to question asking what "about rescuing “wealthy adventurers” that can’t be said about saving anyone in a burning building?"

So, according to you, all military or ex-military personnel don't value human life, nor does anyone who owns a gun. Did I read that correctly?

And I don't think we were talking about rich Dobermans going out on a questionable adventure and requiring rescue, so it would make sense to specify humans. It doesn't imply "little care" about other species.
Is saying "all military or ex-military personnel don't value human life" the same as saying no military or ex-military personnel value human life. Seems a bit of a stretch.

What could be said about rescuing “wealthy adventurers” that can’t be said about saving anyone in a burning building?
I'd assumed they bill the surviving party's insurance. Kind of like how one avoids the $800 ambulance ride if at all possible.

Is saying "all military or ex-military personnel don't value human life" the same as saying no military or ex-military personnel value human life. Seems a bit of a stretch.

Yes, that is exactly what it means, and that's why I took issue with the poster who seemed to be saying that.

In a case like this, will there be a waiting period as to when they can officially declare everyone dead?

In a case like this, will there be a waiting period as to when they can officially declare everyone dead?

Depends on the jurisdiction issuing the death certificate. Lost at sea goes back the residency of the person lost at sea. Speaking only for the US, some states have statutory waiting periods for a declaration but may provide for expedited declaration if there is sufficient proof.

Death certificates are vital records and delays in issuing cam cause all manner of problems for those left behind, to include life insurance payout delays.

You went way beyond what I said. I never said anything close to F' the rich idiots. I was responding to question asking what "about rescuing “wealthy adventurers” that can’t be said about saving anyone in a burning building?"
Sorry - I didn't mean to imply you did. I used it as a tangent to some of the memes I've seen out there (some of them admittedly funny).. pardon, no ill intent meant!

Back