Who knew flying airplanes is a chic magnet

I took my first girlfriend flying about 2 weeks after I got my PPL. I was also 17 and we both enjoyed it. I normally don't take girls flying any more unless we've been dating a little while. Dave S took my girlfriend Becca flying last year at Gastons.....she liked the King Air! :D

I took my first girlfriend flying about 2 weeks after I got my PPL. I was also 17 and we both enjoyed it. I normally don't take girls flying any more unless we've been dating a little while. Dave S took my girlfriend Becca flying last year at Gastons.....she liked the King Air! :D

We've heard you're into moose these days. Girls have to wait. ;)

Everything Stratobee said is pretty true. Hit the nail on the head with the epaulettes :D. If doesn't matter if you have a 172 or a Beech Baron, if she's not into you, the flying will certainly not impress period. Boats always work. Never understood the motorcycle thing either. The girlfriend asks to go riding on the bike more than in a plane. I don't get it. I bought the bike cause I loved it and it saves on gas going to work(thats just an excuse to ride it more). But that is when I am up front, can't imagine riding on the back is very fun but she loves it.:dunno:

Boats are much better in this regard.:yes:;)

The one that really shocks me is motorcycles. Imagine for a day that you are a woman. I could think of nothing worse in this world (except for quadruple root canals, perhaps) than to sit at the back of a midlife-crisis Harley, holding on for dear life and with no forward vision as my pudgy husband roars down the freeway chasing some dream. Yet, you see them clutching on at the back all the time on motorcycle rides. And even smiling. It's beyond me. You couldn't pay me enough money to do that. If a Harley needs riding (and this could be contended), I'll be doing the riding up front.

I think it was 3rd date, I took my wife-to-be with me and showed her triple digits on the back of my sportbike.

I think we as men care more about our toys. They enjoy seeing the pleasure we get from our toys and love us for it.

Not many girls interested when it gets mentioned if anything it's a turn off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to me there are three categories of pilots here:

1. First one the chauffeur. Flies somebody else's plane for a living. They even wear a uniform. NOT IMPRESSIVE! Not going to score boasting about being an underpaid bus driver/chauffeur/glorified taxi driver.

2. Second one the owner or renter of a smelly 35 year old pile o' junk as described by Stratobee. This is going to be a total turn off to a woman not interested in flying!

3. Third one and seriously under represented here other than yours truly soon :D the owner and operator of something impressive. A plane with a real cabin where she can enjoy a glass of champagne and be spoilt and treated like the lady that she is. A plane that is fast, pressurized and can fly her above most of the weather and get her quickly to the destination she wants to go to such as Aspen not some nasty $100 hamburger joint, and allow her to arrive in style.

1. First one the chauffeur. Flies somebody else's plane for a living. They even wear a uniform. NOT IMPRESSIVE! Not going to score boasting about being an underpaid bus driver/chauffeur/glorified taxi driver.

2. Second one the owner or renter of a smelly 35 year old pile o' junk as described by Stratobee. This is going to be a total turn off to a woman not interested in flying!

3. Third one and seriously under represented here other than yours truly soon :D the owner and operator of something impressive. A plane with a real cabin where she can enjoy a glass of champagne and be spoilt and treated like the lady that she is. A plane that is fast, pressurized and can fly her above most of the weather and get her quickly to the destination she wants to go to such as Aspen not some nasty $100 hamburger joint, and allow her to arrive in style.

Are you twelve?

My wife isn't much impressed by flying anyway. As an attorney and self made woman, there is little on this planet that can impress her...

But when we were looking at my 66 year old "beater" Bonanza, she said "its cute". She bought a set of high heels to match...

Anyway, if you can't get a girl without an airplane, forget about getting one with an airplane. After 22 years of marriage, all I can say is you have a lot to learn...

brian];1538519 said:
Are you twelve?

A little older. :D

I did expect to get a lot of push back from category one and two pilots. Sounds like you are firmly in category two. There is no shame in that and you have confirmed what I said which is category two does not impress the ladies :D at most they will think "its cute" and maybe you will get some mercy you-know-what. Did you?

:lol:

Honestly, I have never pulled my Pilot Card in an attempt to get a chick. I'm not saying I'm above it or wouldn't, I just haven't.

Same here, I am in category 2 and I do not believe showing my ol' Chevy airplane to a girl would impress her.
Nor would a piece of plastic. Unless it is a credit card with no limit, they would jump on that instantly. :D But then they don't love you for being a pilot but a pilot with money. So you might as well not even bother becoming a pilot. :eek:

Listen, this 17 year old gentleman to be is hopefully ignoring part of this thread. This stared out as being "cute" and something that kinda made me smile..

But guys, there is a line here somewhere. There is one thing about recommending the OP consider this girl a keeper as she has compatible interests. But to suggest ... yea, ok ... just remembered, I was young once...

To the OP - there is a huge difference between being a gentleman and something else. You will respect yourself more if you respect any lady you meet.... Recommendation: get a college degree then chase the girls. It's easier to have fun and eventually raise a family if the bills are paid.

I'm out of this one...

WOW! I am a category 3! Of course, I have impressed all the women I can afford, one! :D
IF one is trying to impress young women, fly them to your boat!:yes: Non-pilots, women and men, only care about flying to get somewhere fun, the flying part isn't usually the attraction for non-pilots. :D
I just flew my wife and 3 female friends to Marathon Key for a wedding, they were impressed with the Keys, and appreciated the ride. But, the part they liked most about flying was getting from point to point in 2:45 vs a 12 hour+ drive. :D

Everything Stratobee said is pretty true. Hit the nail on the head with the epaulettes :D. If doesn't matter if you have a 172 or a Beech Baron, if she's not into you, the flying will certainly not impress period. Boats always work. Never understood the motorcycle thing either. The girlfriend asks to go riding on the bike more than in a plane. I don't get it. I bought the bike cause I loved it and it saves on gas going to work(thats just an excuse to ride it more). But that is when I am up front, can't imagine riding on the back is very fun but she loves it.:dunno:

As an ex of mine stated about motorcycles. It's a $10,000 vibrator and she doesn't have to do the work. :wink2:

A buddy of mine used to meet women for dates in his helicopter. The last one he married.

Never understood the motorcycle thing either. The girlfriend asks to go riding on the bike more than in a plane. I don't get it.

When I was single, the percentage was pretty much 100%. If she said yes to motorcycle ride, you were 100% guaranteed going for an after ride ride. :yes:

My wife loves riding on the back, and wants me to buy another Goldwing so we can do some long distance travelling.

Don't forget the pony, I'm sure that will fit in the cabin somewhere!

I was 49 the first time I took my wife up flying after getting my PP cert. She had ridden along on an XC lesson, as well. Given that we were coming up on our 28th anniversary at the time, I don't think flying had much to do with our meeting, courting or getting married. :D However, we just celebrated 41 years, so I think it is safe to say that flying hasn't chased her away. She really likes the fact that we can fly across the state in just over 2 hours, rather than the 5 1/2 to 6 hour drive.

Reading this thread is like watching a trainwreck.

Any guy using airplanes, money, bikes, Whatever to "impress" women is beyond help as it is.

Wake up and realize its your PERSONALITY that will make or break everything with the opposite sex in the long run. NOT any material possession, $$$ or accomplishment.

Any guy who is smart would be driving an average car (at least for the first several dates), for no other reason than to WEED OUT golddiggers.

Sigh............

Any guy using airplanes, money, bikes, Whatever to "impress" women is beyond help as it is.

Wake up and realize its your PERSONALITY that will make or break everything with the opposite sex in the long run. NOT any material possession, $$$ or accomplishment.

Any guy who is smart would be driving an average car (at least for the first several dates), for no other reason than to WEED OUT golddiggers.

Sigh............

+1

I remember having a "thing" for a Norwegian foreign exchange student in college. Asked to take her up flying as I thought she had a thing for me too. Flying around I felt pretty much like Tom Cruise impressing the ladies until I looked over and saw she was asleep. She slept all the way home in the car too. Turned out she had been partying the night before with another guy.

::sigh::

Last time I saw pretty girls just jump into a vehicle it looked like this:

1959-nash-001.jpg

Haven't had one want to just hop into a car, airplane, bike or anything else since. Except Mrs. Steingar, who has gamely rode in or on everything I've driven, bless her heart.

Still being in high school, i took my first pax from my school friday afternoon, up for a flight around the city

Just curious Ryan, where are you based? Collegedale? Dallas Bay? CHA? Mocs Flying club?

Just curious Ryan, where are you based? Collegedale? Dallas Bay? CHA? Mocs Flying club?

Bill, I'm based at dallas bay, but fly over to collegedale too, N97642 sounds familiar. What about you?

Btw this was meant to be a comical thread, the girl i took is just a friend of mine.

Last edited:

Sigh............

Totally agree.

Lines I have heard from girls on the first meeting in no particular order.

Girl: So (insert friends name here) tells me your a pilot.

1. How much money do you make?
2. How much money do you have in the bank.
3. Will you make a car payment for me.
4. Will you pay my rent for me.
5. Can you get me free tickets to (insert name of some beach here).
6. Can you buy me a new (insert name of popular electronic musical device here)
7. Will you buy groceries for me and my roommate.
8. Will you pay my cell phone bill.
9. I really didn't want to go out with you, I just wanted a free meal at a good restaurant.
10. I usually go out with guys that make more money than you.

The gold diggers usually weed themselves out quickly.

The ex and I had many fun times flying together. But yes, I've had many girls my age hit me up for rides. Back when I was bar tending, I could still afford to do it, but now that I fly professionally, I don't have much cash available for fun flying. Figures :p

Last edited:
Bill, I'm based at dallas bay, but fly over to collegedale too, N97642 sounds familiar. What about you?

Btw this was meant to be a comical thread, the girl i took is just a friend of mine.

BS. You got her in a plane, she thought you were a pilot stud and the rest was history.

Last edited:
I have 4 boats, and 3 bikes. Some girls are into one or the other, and a select few are into both. I've had plenty of girls enjoy riding on both, but I cant say that I've really used any of them to "pick up chicks" but they haven't hurt either. The toys certainly give you something fun to do on a date which generally makes the dates go better but usually they dont get to enjoy either the boat or the bike until a couple dates in. I've learned my lesson on the kinda girls who care more about the toys than who you are. They are generally as much fun as a migraine, and sometimes give you one too.

I've had a few girls hit me up about flying, but since I just got my PPL I haven't had a chance to see if the same holds true for flying. I'm betting it does. Fun girls who like to do exciting things and also like you are awesome. Girls who are just hitting you up for the cool factor are not.

Based at Collegedale. Mark still half owner over there at Dallas Bay? Cool dude he. We were based there for a while, nice place to learn to fly.

And yes, I know you were having fun about the girl thing. Thread divergence can be quite entertaining here, you'll see. :lol:

Sigh............

LoL :lol:

Depends on your mission. ;)

Based at Collegedale. Mark still half owner over there at Dallas Bay? Cool dude he. We were based there for a while, nice place to learn to fly.

And yes, I know you were having fun about the girl thing. Thread divergence can be quite entertaining here, you'll see. :lol:

He is still half owner, and definitely a good guy! I'll look out for you next time I'm at FGU.

Totally agree.

Lines I have heard from girls on the first meeting in no particular order.

Girl: So (insert friends name here) tells me your a pilot.

1. How much money do you make?
2. How much money do you have in the bank.
3. Will you make a car payment for me.
4. Will you pay my rent for me.
5. Can you get me free tickets to (insert name of some beach here).
6. Can you buy me a new (insert name of popular electronic musical device here)
7. Will you buy groceries for me and my roommate.
8. Will you pay my cell phone bill.
9. I really didn't want to go out with you, I just wanted a free meal at a good restaurant.
10. I usually go out with guys that make more money than you.

The gold diggers usually weed themselves out quickly.

As Pink Floyd sang, you better RUN LIKE HELL!!

LoL :lol:

Depends on your mission. ;)

I was about to say, sometimes ...

"you get what you pay for."

Most older successful men don't mind a girl being a little 'materialistic' if she's a drop dead gorgeous 10 and she can suck a watermelon through a garden hose. :D

Back