Who is the Taylorcraft Guru on this board?

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
I know, I know.
I SWORE I would never own another airplane.
Then two years ago, I found a sweetheart of an Airknocker Champ.
I paid for the pre-buy, and went over with a pocket full of cash and a new pen to sign all the papers and found that the owner had knocked the wing off it the day before. He wanted one last flight.
He paid me for the pre-buy, which I thought was a pretty stand up thing to do.
It must have been a sign from God.
So yesterday, my buddy shoves a picture under my nose.
It's the most beautiful 1946 Taylorcraft BC-12D I have ever seen.
Long range tanks, sealed struts, 85 HP, very low time engine and new covering.
I'm flying over to see it tomorrow.

I haven't flown (or even seen) a T-cart since 1965, and that one was on floats.
What do I need to look at, specifically, on this aircraft?

Thanks

Wish I could help but I haven't flown one since the late 70s, think it was a BC-12 but I'd have to look at the logbook. Fun plane as you know. Good luck Shepherd, sounds like a nice one.

Wings, look at the wings. I hear that they are very important. After that look for a place to put a cup holder.

Glad I could help. No need to thank me.

Pretty certain Bockelman had one for a while...

Taylorcrafts are still flying that are more than 75 years old. It’s remarkable, that they last so long.

I was a passenger in one a few years ago — it was very pleasant for a local ride. The owner got a list, from the FAA, of all previous owners, going back to the beginning — there had been about 50 owners!

A description of what to look for in a prebuy:
https://backcountrypilot.org/forum/taylorcraft-bc-12d-7137

OK.
I'm in love.
It's what my wife would call "an adorable airplane".
Ground up restoration in 2002. Low hours on the engine. All the logs. Not a perfect plane, but pretty close. A flying plane not a show plane.
It's a tight fit. My legs are right up to the bottom of the instrument panel. If I can cheat and move the seat back 1" it wouldn't be a problem.
After all these years, I still remember how to do the "Taylorcraft Tuck" to get in and out, back in. but at my age it's more, "tuck, pop and groan".
Bad stuff:
Original style brakes. Not even strong enough to hold the plane during the run up. A rolling run up works fine.
Trim mechanism slips. Easy fix.
sigh... I think I'm in trouble.

Do it!

Heck ya ought to see me gruntin' & groanin' getting into a 152! I feel your pain Shepherd! :yesnod:

Last edited:
Second on Vandy, he is more busy flying than chatting these days but I have his contact info if you want me to put the two of you in contact

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I had the fabric tear on the hammock seat on mine.

It left me sitting on the longerons, with my eyeballs barely looking over the bottom of the door glass. Wish there was a picture!!

Ive been there before! Hit me up with any questions, the brakes should hold a full runup if properly adjusted.

For those of you who don't know, Matt is a Taylorcraft god. I suspect, that if he doen't know it, it doesn't exist.
Thanks for all your help. It's been invaluable.

Well @Shepherd is she yours?
We're working on it.
Unfortunately, the plane is at a small, private grass airfield that is completely snowed and iced in. It could be weeks before I actually get to fly the plane.

For those of you who don't know, Matt is a Taylorcraft god. I suspect, that if he doen't know it, it doesn't exist.
Thanks for all your help. It's been invaluable.

Glad to help! But I wouldnt go that far! lol Ive been around them forever and have Forrest on speed dial :D

The field is a mess and they don't want to make it worse by trying to plow it. I was over there last week before the snow and ice and it was a mud bog. Now it's got a half inch of ice on top of 7 inches of snow and 2 inches of ice underneath that.
On the plus side, I have nothing to distract me from reading 72 years worth of airframe and power plant logs.

Ive been there before! Hit me up with any questions, the brakes should hold a full runup if properly adjusted.

I'm guessing my brakes need adjusting. When doing the runup, I park on the far side of the transient ramp. Push the power up, check mags real quick, check carb heat real quick, then pull the power. Figure 15 seconds or less. As I'm pulling the power back, I'm just at the edge of the runway.

I'm guessing my brakes need adjusting. When doing the runup, I park on the far side of the transient ramp. Push the power up, check mags real quick, check carb heat real quick, then pull the power. Figure 15 seconds or less. As I'm pulling the power back, I'm just at the edge of the runway.
There should be two 'nuts' on the inside of the wheel with clips in them. Jack it up, tighten until they drag, back up just enough they spin free and put the pin back in!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back