Who here lives in Eastern Pennsylvania?

Groundpounder

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Emerson Bigguns
Can anyone give some good recommendations on places to live in Eastern PA? I'm thinking Lehigh Valley and points north. Looking to stay within 1.5 hours of driving distance to EWR. Neither my wife nor I want to live in a downtown, but we'd also like to be close to the creature comforts of civilization.

Can anyone give some good recommendations on places to live in Eastern PA? I'm thinking Lehigh Valley and points north. Looking to stay within 1.5 hours of driving distance to EWR. Neither my wife nor I want to live in a downtown, but we'd also like to be close to the creature comforts of civilization.
Grew up in the Lehigh Valley, left in the late '70's. Now live about 20 miles south. Did like the area. Back then Bethlehem Steel, Western Electric, Mack Trucks and Air Products were going strong, now, a lot of those industries/jobs are gone. That said, still a decent economic climate, good health care and a number of good universities to add some flavor. I'll shoot you a PM.

Home prices have been higher than I think they should be. Bethlehem Township is pretty nice, as is Forks Township, Hanover Township. Easy access to Rt 22/33/78, which all get you to EWR pretty quickly. KABE is good to fly GA from, and there's quite a few other airports around. Hangar availability is ... spotty...

Grew up in the Lehigh Valley, left in the late '70's. Now live about 20 miles south. Did like the area. Back then Bethlehem Steel, Western Electric, Mack Trucks and Air Products were going strong, now, a lot of those industries/jobs are gone. That said, still a decent economic climate, good health care and a number of good universities to add some flavor. I'll shoot you a PM.

Remember this?

Grew up in Devon and Bryn Mawr.. May I ask why EWR and not PHL?

A friend just sold their home in Wayne, PA, and bought a place in the Quakertown area near a lake.. tells me the area is booming.

This one had me scratching my head..

I mean, I live in the Lehigh Valley, and I would MUCH rather make a trip to Newark than I would to Philthadelpia ...Just saying.... :lol:

As to the OP's reasons - maybe an airline pilot based out of EWR?

I mean, I live in the Lehigh Valley, and I would MUCH rather make a trip to Newark than I would to Philthadelpia ...Just saying.... :lol:

As to the OP's reasons - maybe an airline pilot based out of EWR?

Or, like my wife in her former job, a lot of travel to Europe for work?

I hear what you are saying, but almost a straight shot down 476 to KPHIL - don't have to go anywhere near Filthapadelphia.. Sad what has happened to Philly and other great places.. use to be a place I was proud to say I was from.

Where are you now?

Remember this?

Oh Yes! It was the major event at the time! Watched it from the lookout on South Mountain, maybe 3 miles away.. In the preceding year or two (prior to demo), the great adventure was to try to sneak in to Martin Towers and roam around a bit. The security there was pretty good... but not infallible!

Further than you want at around 3 hours each way - but I did like Williamsport area (I lived in Montoursville). Very scenic area. It has the creature comforts of civilization, but it is a smaller town so it will have fewer of those. Our main complaint there was we sometimes had to go a bit to get to one of the competing/other vendors that may have had a different selection. Home Depot vs Lowe’s etc.

We did really enjoy PA and overall miss it.

I hear what you are saying, but almost a straight shot down 476 to KPHIL - don't have to go anywhere near Filthapadelphia.. Sad what has happened to Philly and other great places.. use to be a place I was proud to say I was from.

Where are you now?
I'm in northwestern Northampton County, so about 20 minutes from KABE. Good place to live.

I’d be looking along the Delaware River, from New Hope to Easton. Bucks County prices aren’t cheap, but still a value compared to NJ.

Grew up in Devon and Bryn Mawr.. May I ask why EWR and not PHL?

A friend just sold their home in Wayne, PA, and bought a place in the Quakertown area near a lake.. tells me the area is booming.

This one had me scratching my head..

As someone else said, I am based out of EWR for a large airline.

DEN and ORD are also on the list of consideration. Both of them have their pluses and minuses

Where are you now?

I live in NH, so there isn’t going to be a huge change in climate or culture.

I lived in Palmerton part time during 2021. Loved the area. Was there temporarily for work but it turned into a home away from home.

WaWa - I worked at the one in Devon. It was short-lived - still remember the catchphrase - "to the american indian it meant wild goose, to you it is the finest in quality." Oye!

As someone else said, I am based out of EWR for a large airline.

DEN and ORD are also on the list of consideration. Both of them have their pluses and minuses

I live in NH, so there isn’t going to be a huge change in climate or culture.

My wife liked it as you're close to a lot of stuff, NYC, DC, and some great outdoor activities that are easy to get to. Also the "real" 4 seasons (California girl - only seasons she knows are fire, flood, wind, and earthquake).

Good luck with your decision.

Back