Who flies REAL VFR?

You're not a REAL pilot unless you fly dead reckoning legs between pilotage fixes that are all towers sticking up into the clouds, with occasional landfall navigation elements. ;)

I fly from balloon marker to balloon marker.

I once convinced a girl that (this was before GPS was a common thing) that when we fly instruments we flew on airways and made turns at intersections. And that the intersections were marked with huge balloons on cables and had signs on them so we knew when we were at the intersection, and which way to turn.

I only fly in simulated VMC.

vfr-training-goggles.html
unnamed_9_9.jpg

Nothing but paper charts and dead reckoning. No radio, cause who needs that when you can look out the window?

back in the day when I was learning to fly, an airline pilot shuffled in with his wife and a VFR sectional in hand. He took a look around; just me and the instructor with an E6B and maps splayed out over the tiny table. He walked over to us and said "i haven't seen one of these in years. I'm going to rent a cessna and i need a little brush up".

And I'd wager that these blokes are flying the realist VFR around:

I never leave my hangar without two operating GPS, my GNS530 and 430W, )and my iPad and iPhone running ForeFlight.

back in the day when I was learning to fly, an airline pilot shuffled in with his wife and a VFR sectional in hand. He took a look around; just me and the instructor with an E6B and maps splayed out over the tiny table. He walked over to us and said "i haven't seen one of these in years. I'm going to rent a cessna and i need a little brush up".

Back in the day I was sent to fly a mode S transponder certification flight in Cedar Rapids. It was VFR. I hadn't flown VFR in more than 10 years. A kind stranger in the hangar handed me a sectional and told me where not to fly.

I still use those concrete arrows on the ground, though, some are now overgrown.

Real pilots tear every instrument out and throw them away, too much added weight and annoyance. Then burn all charts, and if something breaks you never go to a shop, just put on more duct tape.
The whiskey bottle is the only thing in their flight bag as well.
Anything less and you're just a pilot wannabe. ;)

Next thing is, you VFR hot shots will say you hand fly.

Now do you mean "REAL VFR in REAL VMC" or possibly "REAL VFR in REAL IMC"?
Because REAL men fly REAL VFR in REAL IMC with no VFR or IFR equipment. Well, they do cheat with a duck and a cat. But that's an entirely different thread.
Well, that’s kind of the question. ;)

I always figured “IFR” weather gave me an 80% chance of completing my flight without having to deviate. LIFR kicked me out of VFR flying.

I fly from balloon marker to balloon marker.

I once convinced a girl that (this was before GPS was a common thing) that when we fly instruments we flew on airways and made turns at intersections. And that the intersections were marked with huge balloons on cables and had signs on them so we knew when we were at the intersection, and which way to turn.

And to think you’re not married.....go figure. :)

I took my American Yankee up a couple weeks ago to see if I could fly out a low cylinder. Turned out I had to pull a cylinder and have it repaired. Anyway, I headed west out of Lantana KLNA and got over the Everglades then figured well let me see if I can find some airports. All I had for navigation was a paper sectional. Okay. Headed north and found F45. Cool let's see if we can find Pahokee KPHK to the west. Little dead reckoning and picked up some pilotage points off the sectional and lo and behold, overflew Pahokee. When I got back my friend says but but what did you use for navigation? I wave my sectional at him.

Next thing is, you VFR hot shots will say you hand fly.

Funny - Did a flight review yesterday in the 182 and was headed to an approach fix and commented that trying to trim out the ball with rudder trim created a significant right roll. The CFI was concerned the autopilot wasn't dealing with it. Umm, buddy, I'm hand flying it.:rolleyes: He looked at me like I had three heads and asked why. :confused:

I told an FAA inspector that once on a 135 oral...end of oral, “Let’s go fly.”

I bet you also said 'Who needs to check the weather, we're going anyway'.

Just so everyone knows, in my mind I am a complete jokester online and fully realize these things have killed many of us. (including an acquaintance this summer)
I've never had trouble separating reality "We are very prudent with our weather decisions because lives are at stake" ........from online kidding around.

I bet you also said 'Who needs to check the weather, we're going anyway'.

Just so everyone knows, in my mind I am a complete jokester online and fully realize these things have killed many of us. (including an acquaintance this summer)
I've never had trouble separating reality "We are very prudent with our weather decisions because lives are at stake" ........from online kidding around.
Same inspector, different day.

While he never appreciated my sense of humor, he did acknowledge it.

Back