who does the 337?

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
An A&P removes an elevator, sends it to a repair shop, the repair shop re-skins the top and bottom wrinkle skins, and sends it back to the A&P for paint, and reinstall.

who is responsible for doing the 337? (yes it is a major repair)

I'd hope the part would come with some kind of certification paper work allthough that dosnt have to be a 337 if the repair shop is a CRS.

All the more of a reason to use Williams air motive, I'm not hanging my ticket on someone elses repair that I'm probably unable to fully inspect.

I'd hope the part would come with some kind of certification paper work allthough that dosnt have to be a 337 if the repair shop is a CRS.

All the more of a reason to use Williams air motive, I'm not hanging my ticket on someone elses repair that I'm probably unable to fully inspect.

Agreed.

An Elevator?? all you might get is a work order.

would you sign block 6 or 7 for work you did not do? the A&P in this case did not do the major repair work on the part. all he did was the removal and replacement which is not in its self a major repair.

If its a 145 repair station with appropriate capabilities, you'd hope to get the part back with an 8130 and the status block indicating repaired. If it is and A&P/IA shop using their own tickets, they should complete the 337 indicating that the major repair was done in accordance with all requirements and has been approved. Paint and installation is a separate matter. We used to send helicopter stabilizers in to a couple of shops for large crack repair all the time and got them back primed with either an 8130 or a work order, logbook entry stating what they did, and a copy of the 337 form.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

would you sign block 6 or 7 for work you did not do?

Absolutely not.

the A&P in this case did not do the major repair work on the part. all he did was the removal and replacement which is not in its self a major repair.

Correct. He just needs to do a log book entry stating the part was removed and sent out for repair, the painted, balanced and reinstalled (with all the correct references) and also remark there is an associated Form 337.

It's not.
Then without an A&P's signature under the documentation IAW Part 43, for the work done, the elevator is now essentially useless, since the A&P didn't supervise the work and doesn't know who did it, and thus can't install it and sign the log entry as it stands. The receiving mechanic is going to have to document the undocumented repair to the elevator, and since it's a major repair, that means filling out and signing a 337 decribing the repair in sufficient detail, noting the work was done by persons unknown, but has been inspected and determined to have been performed by accepted methods and complies with approved data. And that means an IA, not just an A&P.

Correct. He just needs to do a log book entry stating the part was removed and sent out for repair, the painted, balanced and reinstalled (with all the correct references) and also remark there is an associated Form 337.
I get the impression the part did not come back with a 337 or other appropriate documentation for the repair, and that's the issue. In that case, the A&P cannot simply reinstall the part and say somebody else repaired it.

Then without an A&P's signature under the documentation IAW Part 43, for the work done, the elevator is now essentially useless, since the A&P didn't supervise the work and doesn't know who did it, and thus can't install it and sign the log entry as it stands. The receiving mechanic is going to have to document the undocumented repair to the elevator, and since it's a major repair, that means filling out and signing a 337 decribing the repair in sufficient detail, noting the work was done by persons unknown, but has been inspected and determined to have been performed by accepted methods and complies with approved data. And that means an IA, not just an A&P.
you again, are reading way too much into what's been written, you do not need to be an A&P or have any ratings to re-skin a flight control.
The way this works is, the part comes back to the A&P with a 337 signed by the A&P-IA in blocks 6&7 for the repair of the part. with block 1&2 blank and a description of the repair in block 8, because the repair facility doesn't know where the part came from or what aircraft it will be installed on.
It doesn't matter who did the rivet pounding, it matters who signed the 337.
Then the installer does as R&W stated above. fill in blocks 1&2 and complete the log book entry. as a return to service under their name and number.

Last edited:
I get the impression the part did not come back with a 337 or other appropriate documentation for the repair, and that's the issue. In that case, the A&P cannot simply reinstall the part and say somebody else repaired it.

I asked who was responsible to fill out the 337. and the simple answer is the person who did the major repair. then they must get it approved as a major repair before they return the part to the owners.

Last edited:
you again, are reading way too much into what's been written, you do not need to be an A&P or have any ratings to re-skin a flight control.
The way this works is, the part comes back to the A&P with a 337 signed by the A&P-IA in blocks 6&7 for the repair of the part.
Then why did you ask who fills out the 337 and signs blocks 6 and 7 if the elevator came back with a 337 with an IA's signature in those blocks and you know that's "how it works"?:confused:

An Elevator?? all you might get is a work order.

Sure, and if we are dealing with a repair station fine. So long as the party who did the actual repair documents it as required by the FARs I'll do a log book entry for the R&R, paint and balance. No CRS? Better send that APPROVED 337. All I want is to push the liability for the work I didn't do onto the person who did.

As I said, not gonna hang my ticket on work I can't verify.:no:

Then why did you ask who fills out the 337 and signs blocks 6 and 7 if the elevator came back with a 337 with an IA's signature in those blocks and you know that's "how it works"?:confused:

Did every body here know?

You made the assumption, and got it wrong.

Remember RTFQ ?

Back