Who can verify Student Pilot info

edessa

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
edessa
Can an Advance Ground Instructor verify a student pilots info in IACRA to complete the student pilot application.
Reading 61.215 no where it states that an AGI can do such a thing unless I'm wrong.

An FAA-designated pilot examiner, an airman certification representative associated with a part 141 flight school, or a certificated flight instructor is who the FAA says may do these.

Last edited:
An FAA-designated pilot examiner, an airman certification representative associated with a part 141 flight school, or a certificated flight instructor is who the FAA says may do these.
Thank you for the reply.
Any chance you can point to the reg that states that or is the FAA just saying that?
I have emailed my local FSDO but it takes a while to get a reply. As soon as they reply I will post it here.
Thank you again.

§ 61.85 Application.
An applicant for a student pilot certificate:

(a) Must make that application in a form acceptable to the Administrator; and

(b) Must submit the application to a Flight Standards office, a designated pilot examiner, an airman certification representative associated with a pilot school, a flight instructor, or other person authorized by the Administrator.

Here is the response from my local FSD:

"We reviewed your question and our consensus would be “no” a ground instructor would not be able to issue a student pilot certificate. We cannot say that IACRA would not allow it, because it may, so we would defer you to the Airman Certification Branch: 866-878-2498 or http://registry.faa.gov They are the final authority on the issuance of an airman certificate.

We reference two regulations for our response:

61.193(b)(1) which specifically allows a flight instructor to accept a student pilot application. (Which is not included in 61.215).

61.85(b) which specifically specifies flight instructor (emphasis added).

I hope this answers your question. If you do find out otherwise from Airman Certification, please let us know.

Thank you!"

Back