Who can install a GPSS?

JohnAJohnson

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JohnAJohnson
I'd like to install a DAC GDC31 GPSS in my Cardinal. It will connect to a GNS430, a DG, and an autopilot. Not sure if the DG connection places it in the instrument realm. Can I do this installation under the supervision of an A&P?

Last edited:
I'd like to install a DAC GDC31 GPSS in my Cardinal. It will connect to a GNS430, a DG, and an autopilot. Not sure if the DG connection places it in the instrument realm. Can I do this installation under the supervision of an A&P?
Anyone who knows how to read an installation manual and can crimp pins onto wires can do the installation. You need an A&P to sign off on the work and it's totally up to the mechanic how much you'd be allowed to do and what level of "supervision" is required. In addition to mounting the control box, you'll need to mount the switch/indicator in your panel (requires a square hole about 1" per side) and find the connection between your heading source and your autopilot. Other minor issues are installing a CB for power, determining the new maximum "continuous current" requirement (and whether your alternator and wiring can support that), and a new W&B.

The DAC GPSS is installed under a STC, so you need to have an IA sign it off along with the 337.

I agree with John. While the installation isn't hard, the paperwork requires an IA.

Back