Who are you?

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
We had an incident on here some time ago, where it appears, someone misrepresented who they were, what they'd done, etc.

Now, on the Beechlist, we are going through the same thing with the pilot of the Colemill BE-55 that crashed on departure in New York about a month ago. Lots of folks knew him, was very involved in ABS and had a lot of dealings with Beechlisters. Now, some interesting facts are beginning to emerge.

http://tinyurl.com/2mlcy2

So, as much as we like to be open in our dealings with folks, keep in mind all are not who they may represent.

Best,

Dave

Wow. Interesting stuff. No MEL, no medical, false name, criminal record. How did he get and keep insurance? Or perhaps he had none. Definitely someone hiding his past. Imagine the stress of being constantly aware you could be caught at any time, if someone just asked for a documents check. Seems odd he would sue over a slip-and-fall under the false name, since it could lead to discovery.

This makes me wonder: Am I who I think *I* am? Starting to question myself...

Many of us who were on the Beechlist with Scott or had some dealings with him are a bit hurt and I'm feeling......well......kinda ordinary.

Best,

Dave

Goodgriefgollygeewhiz!!!

If there ever was a professorship for "Confidence Artistry", this man was well-qualified.

I have to wonder if his true identity will ultimately be linked to an unsolved, major bank robbery or fraud case.

Dave,

This situation is a real drag. You read about people like that in the paper from time to time but it's never supposed to happen to someone you know. You have my sympathies.

I'm feeling......well......kinda ordinary.

Nothing wrong with that (unless you're a superhero). Be well.

Regards,
Joe

Many of us who were on the Beechlist with Scott or had some dealings with him are a bit hurt and I'm feeling......well......kinda ordinary.

Best,

Dave

Dave, I want to assure you that I really am who I say I am. You can even check my pilot creds on the FAA listing.:D I only met with Scott last year at Simcom, but he sure seemed real. OTOH, I had a neighbor and friend who had been convicted of armed robbery, then walked away from a work release program halfway through his sentence and started a new life (including a wife and child). His past turned up when his wife found he was unwilling to apply for a passport to visit her native Ireland and he eventually went back to prison voluntarily to finish his term. But although there were a few things about him that always seemed a little off, I never suspected he had such a history.

Well Dave ,as lance said "i Am Who I Am'. Only thing i'm trying to hide is that i'm getting old. But then they say your only old as you fell. so I guess that mean sometimes i'm 15 other times i'm around 100.
Dave G.

Last edited:
Who pays $60K in CASH for airplane parts? A certified check, maybe; wire transfer, sure. CASH? Something's fishy.

Who pays $60K in CASH for airplane parts? A certified check, maybe; wire transfer, sure. CASH? Sounds fishy. I guess it might not be if I had that kind of cash! Sorry to hear the news, Dave.

Last edited:
I had an incident about 8 years ago when I was a brand new CFI in Iowa with a young man who claimed to have just been discharged from the Air Force. His story was he had flown F-18's, even brought in pictures of him in flight suit, the aircraft, etc, and was subsequently in a car accident that had caused back injuries so the Air Force wouldn't allow him to fly anything with an ejection seat. Unfortunately, all of this happened before he was pinned.

Having no military background myself, this sounded reasonable. BUT, there was something about this guy that bothered me. I chalked it up to his air of arrogance and cockiness.

He scheduled time with me for a checkout, stating that he did get his civilian private, but wanted to get the Instrument, Commercial and CFI. I agreed to the checkout in a 172 and an evaluation of what we needed to do to finish the ratings. When he showed up, he 'forgot' his medical and certificate, but did produce a log book with several hundred hours in military type planes.

I told him we could do the checkout, but he couldn't rent until he produced those documents. We went out and flew for an hour, and he was good, proficient to the commercial level and had understanding of the terms I used and tasks I asked to be performed.

He paid with a check, that bounced. We tracked down his mother, who had no knowledge that he flew (weird) and also didn't know where he was. About a month later I got a phone call from the local police asking about him and I thought it was in reference to the bad check. Turns out he went to a neighboring airport about 20 miles away, indeed did rent an aircraft and flew about 15 hours, with passengers. When he showed up there, he had produced a pilot certificate and medical that turned out to be fakes. The FBO there, for whatever reason, chose to rent to him on credit and when they didn't get paid, started tracking him down.

The police proceeded to tell me that he had no military service background and never had a pilot certificate or medical, EVER. He was wanted in several states for similar type crimes.

Last I knew they never found him.

Who pays $60K in CASH for airplane parts? A certified check, maybe; wire transfer, sure. CASH? Something's fishy.

Why is carrying cash considered 'fishy'? We pay cash for just about everything. No, not a check written on an account, but a stack of dead presidents, fresh from the bank. Some folks like using checks, some like paying interest. We happen to like using cash. And besides, when you show up with a wad of greenbacks, you usually get a better deal.

Last edited:
I think if someone came to me without a certificate and medical for whatever reason and they were new to my school, I'd say, "Let's go pull up your data on the FAA site." Citing it's for insurance reasons is sufficient excuse without saying you might not trust their motives.

It just seems strange to me to not have the docs on hand. Mine stay in the flight bag along with manuals, charts and headset.

You know the saying about things happening in threes:

1. We had something like this on one of the web boards recently; that fella isn't posting anymore.

2. A local friend called me about a "special Ops" guy working for him that sounded funny. Long story short, a gov'ment agency determined he had severed in the military briefly in a very different area, and that was long ago. He is now dealing with them.

3. The fella I posted about above was very involved in some flying activities with Beechlist folks. Gained a lot of folks' trust; not that he ever took advantage, just a breach of confidence.

So, just a word to the wise, trust but verify!!

Best,

Dave

...hey Dave, I ever tell you about the time I started a coup in South America....?

And here I am, known as "Jerry" to camera store customers from wide areas of Maine; "Lawreston" to folks back home or in legal matters or entertainment circles(the latter allowing some separation between my artistic endeavors and that camera store guy; and "Jerry Leyman"(my old radio broadcaster name which is how I'm listed in the telephone book)[cheap way of being nearly unpublished]). Y'all suppose I'm dangerous?

HR(oh yeah, and that guy, too)

Why is carrying cash considered 'fishy'? We pay cash for just about everything. No, not a check written on an account, but a stack of dead presidents, fresh from the bank. Some folks like using checks, some like paying interest. We happen to like using cash. And besides, when you show up with a wad of greenbacks, you usually get a better deal.
I have a friend who was an exotic car dealer in Miami in the 1980s. There was a WHOLE LOT suspect about carrying large amounts of cash in that city at that time. When the suitcases came out the salesguys knew they had an easy deal but the owner yanked back on their leashes.

We tracked down his mother, who had no knowledge that he flew (weird)
Nothing weird about that, mine don't know I fly either, they'd just worry too much.

I worked for the DOT. I can tell some stories, but I won't.

All the pilots I've met personally have stand up people, although I did "out" one non pilot in school. He was bragging about being a pilot, and I talked with him for about three minutes, and it became painfully obvious he didn't know a damned thing about flying.

I might have already posted this somewhere (oh, on the "question for the ladies" thread), but I almost went into partnership with a guy on an airplane. He was incredibly nice, spent a lot of time at the airport, everyone knew him. Another gal finally did go in with him. A few months later he was convicted for child molestation. Really shook everyone's confidence that they could judge people.

Judy

I told him we could do the checkout, but he couldn't rent until he produced those documents. We went out and flew for an hour, and he was good, proficient to the commercial level and had understanding of the terms I used and tasks I asked to be perfomed.
Weird. A lot of time on a Sim? How could you get that proficient w/o ever getting into the system with at least a student cert?

Back