Who are the controllers who participate on PoA?

When I attended Air Force ATC we had the radar simulator and a tower sim also. So in the sim tower you see planes flying etc and work 'em in. Alright I can do this! Then you get stationed at a complex fighter base that has a fighter wing (F15s), a test wing (T38,F4,F111,F15, F16, A10 and more), a rescue wing (C130s, H60s), an airline terminal, aero club w/ 25 planes...then reality sets in. Much different than the sim with real birds. But fun!

Even a basic PAR in the sim is different. It's a computer so it always takes your headings. Can't simulate turb or the pilot not flying precise headings so they were easy after a while. In ATC school at Memphis we'd get so bored of doing approaches that we'd key up another dude's "freq" and try and make his "aircraft" turn. If your voice sounded like theirs, sometimes it would take it. "Turn right heading 360." Then the instructors would come in and tell us to quit screwing around!:p

When I first checked out on PAR the arrival guy was handing off 90 degree intercepts instead of 30! I knew it was coming and as soon as the pilot checked in I turned him to the final approach heading. It worked and he gave up after 3 or 4 of 'em like that. Surprised the Watch Supervisor didn't get po'd.

When I first checked out on PAR the arrival guy was handing off 90 degree intercepts instead of 30! I knew it was coming and as soon as the pilot checked in I turned him to the final approach heading. It worked and he gave up after 3 or 4 of 'em like that. Surprised the Watch Supervisor didn't get po'd.

We only did that if the RFC was also approach rated. Even then, that's really not the way the handoff should go.

Got a 90 from approach with A1 once. 210 kts and shot all the way thru final turning like a semi truck. 500 & 1 too. Got the Clintons back on course around 2 miles out.

Even a basic PAR in the sim is different. It's a computer so it always takes your headings. Can't simulate turb or the pilot not flying precise headings so they were easy after a while. In ATC school at Memphis we'd get so bored of doing approaches that we'd key up another dude's "freq" and try and make his "aircraft" turn. If your voice sounded like theirs, sometimes it would take it. "Turn right heading 360." Then the instructors would come in and tell us to quit screwing around!:p

Or change their airspeed to 700 kts. :D

And that while they were controlling a no-gyro, surveillance approach with recommended altitudes.

Or change their airspeed to 700 kts. :D

And that while they were controlling a no-gyro, surveillance approach with recommended altitudes.

Yeah we used to screw around with the speed doing sims at our facility. Have him declare an emergency short final and want the cable. School house didn't play games like that though. Same old thing over and over.

Tower sim used to be fun when the computer wouldn't take your voice.

"Navy alpha bravo two zero one, departure end, break approved."

(Computer voice) "Roger, Navy alpha bravo two zero one, cleared to land departure end." :eek:

Well, I just got reassigned from en-route to terminal, so scratch what I said above! Will be assigned to a tower or "up/down" tower/TRACON facility in May.

I know I'm late to the party. ZME controller here for 6 years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just in time. Wipe that table and take the trash out back...oh and lock up on your way out. ;)

Back