White film/residue on belly

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I have a white residue on the belly that I think is a result of the leaded fuel we all use. Carbon X cleans up the blackish oil residue on the belly but the white stuff is much harder to remove. Can someone suggest a good cleaning product to get this stuff cleaned off?

besides the fact that this thread title leaves things w i d e open for disgusting, immature replies, which is my specialty, I believe there is an entire recent thread devoted just to this very topic.

Most of that thread talks about the degreasers which is fine for the oily residue but the white stuff seems different.

besides the fact that this thread title leaves things w i d e open for disgusting, immature replies, which is my specialty, I believe there is an entire recent thread devoted just to this very topic.
I clicked on the thread just to see who would go there.

Touluene (white gas) AND elbow grease to get that stuff off. If you burn enough oil, you don't see that stuff because its mixed in with the oil. Maybe you should try some oil on it?

It's from the lead, this stuff works great for the white film

462963.jpg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1240462963/hoppes-9-bore-cleaning-solvent-liquid

Last edited:
Cheapest and just as effective as anything else- Mineral Spirits. That white residue means you are doing it right. If you run lean you will find that all over the bottom all the way back to the tail.

Any idea if this is really safe on aluminum (although the surface is painted, the seams are vulnerable). How about on the fiberglass cowling ?

On the Dakota the whole front is fiberglass - a top and bottom cowling. The bottom cowling has this white residue as well.

I don't have the data sheet in front of me, but folks soak old barrels and whatnot in it, I've had it get on wooden stocks too and never seen a issue.

Um, I suggested the belly wash on page one but it isn't "readily available." However, it works great.

Edit: Apparently "page one" of another thread of similar yet different color topic. Apologies.

Same company, but I've been using the red version for cleaning the white residue off our Mooney. Just cleaned it this morning and it made short work of it.

http://washwax.com/wet-wash-products-wash-wax-all-degreaser/

I'm also using the regular blue stuff for cleaning the bugs off the leading edges after each flight or for just removing dirt from areas on the plane. Makes quick work of that too. Really wish KRNO had a wash rack instead of flying over to Stead....

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/washwax.php?clickkey=66767

Cheers,
Brian

Goop hand cleaner works on the lead residue also.... Home depot has started carrying it in the Auto parts section.

I suggested earlier Mineral Spirits. Works for me pretty well. What is wrong with it that people need to go looking for more exotic and expensive alternatives??

We use simple green, soak it. Spray it down with simple green. Scrub it. Pressure wash it off.

Did not know that about #9, since my plane is white it's never been a issue, I've only used gojo w/o pumice.

Back