While tying down aircraft tail tiedown snapped?

Christopher

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Christopher
While tying down a c-150 the tail tiedown snapped backwards (I heard the snap I was tying it and it jerked backwards) the eyebolt is still 100% intact it just moves forward and backwards a little bit now

It has been changed inside before due to storm damage it was moving up and down on the tail trying to take off obviously damaging the tail tiedown. (A few years back)

A mechanic told me only 4 rivets hold it in place and was caused by a tail strike over the phone(Yet to take it in).. I have never felt or experienced a tail strike. I would imagine you could feel it or hear it. (And I can only imagine it being on a landing because I never ever pitch up like a wild man on take off I have plenty of room)

What are your thoughts do you think it was a tail strike? (There is no damage that I can see to the plane)

Last edited:
While tying down a c-150 the tail tiedown snapped backwards (I heard the snap I was tying it and it jerked backwards) the eyebolt is still 100% intact it just moves forward and backwards a little bit now

It has been changed inside before due to storm damage it was moving up and down on the tail trying to take off obviously damaging the tail tiedown. (A few years back)

A mechanic told me only 4 rivets hold it in place and was caused by a tail strike over the phone(Yet to take it in).. I have never felt or experienced a tail strike. I would imagine you could feel it or hear it. (And I can only imagine it being on a landing because I never ever pitch up like a wild man on take off I have plenty of room)

What are your thoughts do you think it was a tail strike? (There is no damage that I can see to the plane)
Wouldn't it be logical to have that same mechanic check it out?

The 172 trainer here has had the tail tie down eyelet changed numerous times from students over rotating or dragging it in nose high during landings.. Common problem...

If your 150 was EVER used as a trainer, you can bet the tailhook has hit the ground..... ALOT...:redface:

Last edited:
I am not very familiar with 150s, but in most other Cessnas, tail strikes usually result in grinding off or significantly deforming the eye of the tie down bolt.

Harford county, 0W3, has a grass strip that can kinda cross the pavement of another runway, but with a bit of a hill. There are LOTS is drag marks across the pavement there

Wouldn't it be logical to have that same mechanic check it out?

Yes he has it in his shop and I am waiting to hear back - But I would think a tail strike would more or less not do what happened. I would think it would be very loose if not bent I do not see any damage done to the eyehook that was not already there from the storm.

I also think it would not snap when I was tying it down but before if I had a tailstrike.

Do you see what I am saying ? Do the eyehooks become very loose? Or is it more of what I am describing? It is more for learning what the cause of it was. Maybe I am too rough tying it down? What is the feeling of a tail strike or can you not notice them?

Yes he has it in his shop and I am waiting to hear back - But I would think a tail strike would more or less not do what happened. I would think it would be very loose if not bent I do not see any damage done to the eyehook that was not already there from the storm.

I also think it would not snap when I was tying it down but before if I had a tailstrike.

Do you see what I am saying ? Do the eyehooks become very loose? Or is it more of what I am describing? It is more for learning what the cause of it was. Maybe I am too rough tying it down? What is the feeling of a tail strike or can you not notice them?

You should be able to tie it down so tight as to lift the front wheel off the ground, and not damage the tail eyelet... IMHO..

The tie down eye is simply a eyebolt anchored in place by a Anchor nut riveted in place to screw the eye bolt into.

The Little rivets simply corrode away and the anchor nut is free to move around.

Its simply a hell of a job to replace the anchor nut.

I know C-150s are easy to hit the tail. Students practice soft field take offs, hold full back stick and ram the power in and BAMM the tail is on the ground. Normally bends the eye, but the shock has to be taken up into the attach brackets.

Yes Cessna tail tiedown hooks are chained to heavy weights or to a ring in the ground to hold the nose up when nose struts are being worked.

Yes, if it was a tail strike, there would most definitely be some visible indication on the eyebolt itself.

Back