Which?

Which would you rent? (See description in post)

• SR20

Votes: 34 50.7%
  • Lance

Votes: 33 49.3%

• Total voters

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
So if you had had to make the rental choice I made, what would it have been:

1) Near-new, highly capable SR20 with Perspective and integrated AP, AC, synthetic vision, etc. for $215 per hour, wet.

2) Early 80's straight-tail Lance with steam gauge panel (no HSI), wing leveler, Riot-Red interior, but with six seats, for $189, wet.

It was a hard choice, but with the amount of hours I fly, I felt I had to pick one or the other.

1) Near-new, highly capable SR20 with Perspective and integrated AP, AC, synthetic vision, etc. for $215 per hour, wet.

2) Early 80's straight-tail Lance with steam gauge panel (no HSI), wing leveler, Riot-Red interior, but with six seats, for $189, wet.

It was a hard choice, but with the amount of hours I fly, I felt I had to pick one or the other.

Unless I had to haul a load that required the Lance, I would take the Cirrus. $25hr difference isn't much, the SR-20 is faster as well isn't it?

The SR20 is definitely a more exciting ride and probably faster. The Lance is the SUV that can haul anything you can fit into it. :dunno:

don't like the side-stick

Unless I had to haul a load that required the Lance, I would take the Cirrus. $25hr difference isn't much, the SR-20 is faster as well isn't it?

The speeds are basically identical, although, you burn MUCH less fuel in the SR20. (But since rates are wet, it didn't factor into my choice.)

The speeds are basically identical, although, you burn MUCH less fuel in the SR20. (But since rates are wet, it didn't factor into my choice.)

Still better to use less fuel regardless, plus you get a chute.

I'd go for the SR20. At my age, an old plane doesn't really have that much novelty.

Try the SR2 and get rich selling inflatable cellos that you will invent....

I'd go with the SR20 unless the SUV aspect was absolutely needed.

Inflatable cello, hmm...development project anyone?

I'd go with the SR20 unless the SUV aspect was absolutely needed.

Inflatable cello, hmm...development project anyone?

Why not just a take-down cello?

:)

They have a guitar equivalent of a pluck bass, I don't see why they wouldn't for a cello.

LOL, it's carved wood. Extremely long to make.

But there are electric cellos which are more compact--just far heavier!

LOL, it's carved wood. Extremely long to make.

But there are electric cellos which are more compact--just far heavier!

Lead cellist in a rock opera, is that where this is heading? You could do Broadway with that.;)

Everyone has different uses, so its all about what fits you and your mission

I wish you had included more information in your original post. Is this a one time rental, or are you committing to on going rentals? Do you plan to fly a lot of IFR? Are you checked out on glass? Why can't you rent both planes when desired? What's the condition on the Lance? Is it ratty, or nice?

The SR-20 is sexier, probably more comfortable, has a cool panel and has a parachute. Wife will probably like it better.

The Lance can carry more if needed and probably a quicker transition from whatever you were flying. Also a big plus is cheaper and cheaper is really good these days.

If I had to pick one and only I would go for the Cirrus as long as I was comfortable with the cost. If stepping up to these planes is a bit of a financial stretch, then I'd go Lance.

I'd probably rent the Lance. Wet rental, so the fuel consumption doesn't matter.
You have the additional capability of the Lance if you need it.
Plus, you're getting HP and complex hours in your log (neither of those with an SR20).

If I was buying, I'd get an SR20. Fixed gear and smaller engine is good for fixed and variable costs.

Last edited:
Back