Which way would you go..

cleared4theoption

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeremy
So, after a quick check of my logbook, I have 21 hours with 20.5 Dual and .5 solo (my first and only solo)...problem is, it has been 2 years since that last .5 logged. I had realy hoped I would be back at it by now, but it is looking like I will need one more year of financial magic to be able to really dive in and finish...so here is my ponderance to you...

Do I

A: Go ahead and try and take one lesson a month or even two every three months as I can afford them over the next year...just to try and not let the rust get too thick, then about a year from now dive in and finish

or

B: Just wait out another year and try to shake off three years of rust when I can dive in fully

I realize Option A will cost more money over the long haul...but at least it will keep me somewhat fresh...or do you guys think that only flying once a month doesn't keep you "fresh" enough to warrant the extra money?

Thoughts...opinions...firsthand experiences???:dunno:

If it were me, I think I'd take that 21 hours, and get with a CFI in a LSA, finish out the SP requirements and checkride, then you can fly that once a month or so without an instructor, cheaper.

Just a thought.

If it were me, I think I'd take that 21 hours, and get with a CFI in a LSA, finish out the SP requirements and checkride, then you can fly that once a month or so without an instructor, cheaper.

Just a thought.

I probably will go the SP route...but my thing is if I only take 1 lesson a month...it slows down learning...and I'm not sure if progression would even be possible at that slow a rate...so I would go into it not expecting to progress, just not "regress" until I have the ability to do the lessons at a more rapid pace.

Wait, one lesson a month is a waste of money as far as training goes. If you want to just fly, that's another matter.

I probably will go the SP route...but my thing is if I only take 1 lesson a month...it slows down learning...and I'm not sure if progression would even be possible at that slow a rate...so I would go into it not expecting to progress, just not "regress" until I have the ability to do the lessons at a more rapid pace.

Good point... I haven't been there, so I don't know how quickly the skills fade, but I'm wondering if you couldn't get to the sport standard. Again, haven't been there, so just thinking out loud.

Another vote to wait until you have the $$$ to hit it hard. When you're still learning, sometimes once a week isn't enough!

Yeah, one lesson a month will keep your head into flying to some degree, but will not progress you toward your license, LSA or PPL either one.

I've been on those financial shoes before and that's why I was 62 before being a private pilot. It's best if you can somehow put the money aside and then fly your butt off for a few months. If you've only been out two years, you won't have lost so much that you're almost starting from scratch as I was after 20 years.

There are sorts of hurdle's in the course of getting a pilots license, but the financial one is a tough one.

Find lots of good aviation books to read and keep your head in the game while going all out to save every quarter you can get your hands on.

Best of luck with it.

It depends on your goals.

If you want to get it done quickly and as inexpensively as possible, then wait and save up.

If your goal is to get your "aviation fix" on a monthly basis, then go ahead and do a monthly lesson. Understand you will not progress in your skills, but if you want to just get a chance to go up in the air, go for it.

I guess I could just rotate through the local flight schools taking Discovery Flights...just do one a month...it'd be cheaper that way...:D

I guess I could just rotate through the local flight schools taking Discovery Flights...just do one a month...it'd be cheaper that way...:D

The car salesmen of metro Atlanta taught my wife to drive a standard. :D

Arrange some more lunches and I'll get you some time in the 172.

Or see if your flight school offers a 'block rate' discount, many do. You put down $500-$1000 on account to fly off and they give you a discount on your rate. Save up for the block and then fly when you want till that's gone. That way you have some pre-budgeted flying you can do at a discount while maintaining a relationship with the flight school; that way your time can be spent logging something you need. I will warn to only do this with a solid flight school, there have been a lot of closures where people lost their money on account.

Watch Groupon - one of the guys I work with is working on his hours through Groupon-priced discovery flights. He uses the line that he's comparing flight schools / instructors. I'm not sure how many hours he's gotten that way, but he said he might write a book about how he got to solo with Groupon. :goofy:

The car salesmen of metro Atlanta taught my wife to drive a standard. :D

Arrange some more lunches and I'll get you some time in the 172.

I have access to a 172 as well, but California is a long way to drive to buy me lunch for a flight. Are you ever here on business etc?

Arrange with the owner to trial fly the plane for 10 hours or so over a weekend....
Fly it an hour and then take an oil sample... Change the oil and filter on your nickle (if you don't buy he got a free oil change) and pound out the other 9 hours and sample that...
Let the oil lab know what is going on and ask for an opinion if it is making metal...

If you don't buy then there will be a quiet agreement for compensation for the use of the plane (remember the price of the oil change)... If you do buy you have some peace of mind and a fresh oil change which it needs anyway...

Disclaimer: due to the magic of computers the above posted here in error...

It can be done. I did mine with about 1 lesson per month over a 4 year period. Total time 52 hours.

But, my mind was certainly on flying more than once a month...

It can be done. I did mine with about 1 lesson per month over a 4 year period. Total time 52 hours.

But, my mind was certainly on flying more than once a month...
Just out of curiosity, what kind of other activities did you engage in to keep your mind fresh between those lessons?

I'm not sure if you have any experience with simulators, but I fly X Plane in between lessons to stay "sensitive". I bought the pedals and yoke on Ebay. It helps more to retain procedures than it does the "seat of the pants" muscle memory stuff, but it can be fun and keep flying in the forefront of your mind. It's an economically feasible substitute from month to month lessons or while you save for an extended period of time. You can even fly the same aircraft model that you train in and memorize specific checklists, etc. Just a thought...

That brings up a question, for you sim useres. Which is really better, X-Plane or MSFS.
I used to play it a lot, but when i started flying for real, I realized how it didn't help with VFR flying at all. But I do realized it can still help with remembering procedures...and just to have som fun when you can't fly.

I have been a MSFS user...but I have heard some people say XPlane is better...what say you?:dunno:

Back