Which way to Bluetooth?

mjburian

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Marty
I managed to obtain my instrument rating last weekend and, to celebrate, figured I'd reward myself with some new flying gear. One thing I've considered is adding Bluetooth to my headset (for music and/or calling for clearances), and I'm wondering what you guys think about the options I'm considering.

I've had the QT Halos for a few years now and really enjoy using them. However, they've just returned from their second service call thanks to severing the wire by closing the door on it (first call was free, second one ran me $50). Other than the longer, thinner wire (and my apparent inability to always make sure it's clear of the door) the in-ear style is much preferred to the old headset I was using. Lightweight, quiet, no clamping, can easily wear a hat and sunglasses without sacrificing comfort or noise dampening, etc.

So the question is, would you add something like the BluLink to the existing headset or pick up a Clarity Aloft Link? There's an obvious price difference between the two options, but hearing the wife complain about her headset recently (and her enjoyment when using the QTs) has me wondering if we won't be buying her a new headset soon, anyway (thereby taking away any cost difference). Any other options not mentioned here that I should consider?

The Clarity Aloft Link and the BluLink are the same thing as far as the bluetooth module goes.
For what you're describing as your wants and needs, it appears you are headed down the right path. You may not like the Clarity's as you do your QT's, so take that into consideration.
Hopefully, like us, Clarity offers some type of 30 day trial period so that you can determine whether they will work for you.

Hope you find what you need, and you can't go wrong with the Bluelink system. We've been carrying them in our store for a little over a year now, and we can't keep them on the shelf. I'll never give mine up.

The Clarity Aloft Link and the BluLink are the same thing as far as the bluetooth module goes.

Are you saying that the Clarity Aloft Link actually uses a BluLink inline? Or just that the functionality is essentially the same? If it's literally the same piece of hardware then I'd probably be best served getting a BluLink to use with my current headset and then let my wife decide what she wants to buy.

Are you saying that the Clarity Aloft Link actually uses a BluLink inline? Or just that the functionality is essentially the same? If it's literally the same piece of hardware then I'd probably be best served getting a BluLink to use with my current headset and then let my wife decide what she wants to buy.

It is the exact piece of hardware. If you look at the zoomed in photos of the Link it actually says BluLink on it :)

Shane
The Squawk Shoppe
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I feel pretty dumb for not having realized that this whole time. I think that makes the decision easier, I'll grab a BluLink and let my wife pick out her own headset (vs giving her a hand me down set of Halos).

Shane - I received a PM from another user offering a used (but fully functional) BluLink for a discounted price. If that falls though, though, I'll be sure to order from your shop. Thanks a lot for your help!

Just so all bases are covered, you could install an audio panel with Bluetooth, such as the PMA8000BT

I appreciate the idea, but that looks to be a fairly expensive route to take. As much as a new audio panel would be sweet, ours works fine so I'm guessing I won't be able to sell it to the other club members.

I appreciate the out-of-the-box thinking, though!

I appreciate the idea, but that looks to be a fairly expensive route to take. As much as a new audio panel would be sweet, ours works fine so I'm guessing I won't be able to sell it to the other club members.

I appreciate the out-of-the-box thinking, though!

Well, since it is a club plane, it could actually work out cheaper, amortized amongst all the members ;)

Shane - I received a PM from another user offering a used (but fully functional) BluLink for a discounted price. If that falls though, though, I'll be sure to order from your shop. Thanks a lot for your help!

Glad to help, and we'll be here if you need us. :) Remember, we always ship to PoA members for free. Code: PILOTSOFAMERICAMEMBERS

Thanks again for your help, guys. I got the BluLink earlier in the week and it works exactly as I'd hoped. Still not sure if I'll use it for music in-flight or not (seemed a little distracting on the short flights I was on, but may try again on longer solo flights), but the ability to call for a clearance from the runup area will really things easy in the future.

Back