Which way did he go?!

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Ever wonder what route you're likely to get if you file between two airports?

FlightAware.com just added a really cool feature... enter two airports, and it will show you the cleared route for the most recent flights between those two airports:

http://flightaware.com/statistics/ifr-route/

For example, if I were to file between KFTW (Fort Worth Meacham) and KSAT (San Antonio International), it tells me I'm likely to get this (it even tells me how many times each route has been assigned):

JPOOL3 WINDU MARCS8

Now, that's cool.

They've also added a new "download all the charts" bundled procedures link on each airport information page:

http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KFTW

Right click and save all the approaches, print and take them with you. The "All Procedures (with diagram)" link has everything for that airport (approaches, departures, airport diagram, taxi diagram). Guaranteed to always be the current plates.

That is cool. Too bad it has no route for my flight this Friday from 10C to KSMD. I know the preferred route is over Lake Michigan but I don't want that one. So I will be given RV to EON then direct KSMD

Except that as a bugsmasher you generally won't get WINDU. Turbines will. Generally it'll be the airway, sometimes direct, CWK, MARCS8. ANd when Gray Approach hands you off to Austin, ask for direct MARCS, then MARCS8. It will usually be granted.

The feature is pretty nice, but (like everything in aviation) has its limitations....

"...depart MARCS on a 290 heading for sequencing..."

SCCutler said:
"...depart MARCS on a 290 heading for sequencing..."

"Depart CRISS intersection heading 290, vectors for the approach" ;)

wsuffa said:
"Depart CRISS intersection heading 290, vectors for the approach" ;)

That's what they always give me... it's noted to "expect that" in the Arrival.

Aiyee!

That's what I get for recalling that detail from memory, instead of looking at the STAR.

(Put soundly in his place, Spike slinks off to sulk...)

SCCutler said:
Aiyee!

That's what I get for recalling that detail from memory, instead of looking at the STAR.

(Put soundly in his place, Spike slinks off to sulk...)

I can't count the number of times I've flown it. Heaven forbid that they change it....

wsuffa said:
I can't count the number of times I've flown it. Heaven forbid that they change it....
So they give you the exact same instruction when you're headed for SSF (I have only flown into SAT, which is generally too pleasant to be called a big airport, despite its size)?

SCCutler said:
So they give you the exact same instruction when you're headed for SSF (I have only flown into SAT, which is generally too pleasant to be called a big airport, despite its size)?

No, I get different instructions for SSF. Sometimes I get CRISS, sometimes I get direct to Stinson VOR, sometimes I get direct to Stinson Airport, and sometimes I go to SAT. Sometimes I get vectors to EBFE. But I'm on the frequency, and everybody going to SAT gets the instruction....

Yeah, but any insight into the mysteries of FDC routing is better than none at all. I'm still waiting for a "cleared as filed" (although my IFR experience is admittedly limited.)

Back