Which route to ADS-B compliance

TimRF79

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I got in my plane a 430W and a GTX330; I also have a GDL52 an a tablet running Garmin Pilot.
I could upgrade the GTX330 to a GTX330ES and get ADS-B out this way.

Or would it make more sense to replace the GTX330 with a GTX345 and then sell the GTX330 and the GDL52?

Any ideas on the net cost of either option?

I got in my plane a 430W and a GTX330; I also have a GDL52 an a tablet running Garmin Pilot.
I could upgrade the GTX330 to a GTX330ES and get ADS-B out this way.

Or would it make more sense to replace the GTX330 with a GTX345 and then sell the GTX330 and the GDL52?

Any ideas on the net cost of either option?

Get the ES upgrade, and you should be out the door for well under $2,000.

Pulling the 330 and adding the 345 is probably going to be more like $6-7K, if not more, minus whatever you get get on the used market for the other gear. And all it'll gain you over what you'd have with the 330ES/GDL setup is traffic and weather on your tiny 430 screen.

If it's worth several thousand dollars to you to have traffic and weather actually in the panel as opposed to on the tablet, then get the 345. Otherwise, you're one of the luckier people when it comes to ADS-B equipage - The 330ES upgrade is easy peasy.

Just ES it and plug it into the GNS.

Much of the other stuff is kinda whiz bang, like the flight stream and all that, not really that much value for,the dollar.

Getting traffic in would be nice, but there are options for that without having to buy a new and expensive transponder.

Upgrade the 330 to the ES,simple ,economical fix.

Back