Which receiver for a KI-208

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
I am replacing the old cdi's with newer ones. The old ones had internal receivers. I have a KN-75 to go with the KI209 (GS/LOC). But i cannot find definitavely which receiver goes with the KI208 (VOR). Is it the KN-73 or-72? Or will both work?

Thanks in advance.

The KI209 will go directly to

KX-170 series NAV/COMM
KX-175 series NAV/COMM
KX-155 NAV/COMM
KX-155A NAV/COMM
KN-53 NAV Receiver

The KN-73 will work for the glideslope part as will the KN-75
The KN-72 is a VOR LOC converter. This is completely different.

OK, Sorry for being obtuse, but do I need to get a KN-72 to make my, new to me, KI-209 and 208 work? I already have the KN-75. My previous cdi's were a KI-214 and KI-210 which each had an internal receiver but are basically unrepairable.

OK, Sorry for being obtuse, but do I need to get a KN-72 to make my, new to me, KI-209 and 208 work? I already have the KN-75. My previous cdi's were a KI-214 and KI-210 which each had an internal receiver but are basically unrepairable.

Nothing is unrepairable.

Jim

Ron listed some radios. What radio do you have?

Nav 1 is a TKM MX-170
Nav 2 is a King KX-170

Perhaps I need to come at this from the other end. What, other than being a VOR converter, does a KN 72 do? Does it run the localizer?

You're misusing terms. The KI-214, KI-209, and KI-208 all include a internal VOR-LOC CONVERTER (they don't have any "receiver" in them). The KI-209 should work everywhere the 214 does. You specifically do not need the KN-72 which is an extern VOR-LOC converter with either of these indicators. I've never heard of a KI-210, I presume you meant the KI-201.

Given the combo of the KI-214 and the KN-75, I suspect he has either a KX-170 or 175 (hopefully the B models as the earlier ones aren't likely to be legal to transmit with anymore).

The 208 won't go with anything with a glideslope receiver (internal to the radio or external like the KN-75), it lacks the glide slope needle

The indicators that work with the KX-170/175 and the KN-75 are the KI-209, 209A, and 214.
The ones that work with out the glide slope are the KI-201, 208, and 208A.
These are all available and as Jim says all still serviceable.

Last edited:

Doubt it. Try Bevan-Rabell in Wichita.

What nav radios do you have? Oh never mind I see you have the mitchell slide in replacement for the KX170.
So, if the mitchell does not have a GS receiver, then the KN-75 will do for the 209, you should not need anything extra for the 208, as the mx170 will drive the localizer.

I'm dissapointed Jim. I would have expected someone of your experience to have encountered Lucas electric equipment at some point.

Even Lucas switches have a 3-way position on them:

• DIM
  • FLICKER
  • OFF
Lucas, prince of darkness.

Lucas refrigerators are the reason Brits drink their beer warm.

Jim

Back