Which POA fly in?

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
If you had to pick just one POA gathering, which would it be? Preferably East of the Rockies, but if the timing were right, I could find my way to just about anywhere in the US except Hawaii.

I intend to make a least one in the next year, but I have to drag my pilot along so it has to be worth her while too.

I'll be at the one AP, Mari and Mrs. 6PC are at. They smell better than you guys.

About the only "scheduled" one that is PoA centered is Gastons. Airport is Gaston's resort, 3M0, north central Arkansas. October.

Heard these AOPA fly-ins are pretty good. I'm hitting Tullahoma in October. Can't pass up a 30 min flight to go to an aviation event. It'll be my OSH since I missed it this year.

Heard these AOPA fly-ins are pretty good. I'm hitting Tullahoma in October. Can't pass up a 30 min flight to go to an aviation event. It'll be my OSH since I missed it this year.

Wunnerful! And with a cool plane like yours, you know you're gonna get plenty of attention and request for rides.

6Y9 is happening Labor Day weekend 10th one. It is a community event open to the public but for the POA faithful is is a full weekend event. Lots of fun and great hosts.

About the only "scheduled" one that is PoA centered is Gastons. Airport is Gaston's resort, 3M0, north central Arkansas. October.

Whoa, wha....what?

6Y9 is "scheduled." Every year over Labor Day.

The Wings Fly-B-Q is "scheduled." Adam has held it every year less one (iirc). I'd love to attend Adam's event but haven't made it thus far. It's a tad far considering there are closer opportunities (can't go to all of 'em!)

I'm not sure about Winwood, not intimately familiar with it.

I've only attended Gaston's and 6Y9 and they are both equally enjoyable. They both have their unique "feel" so it just depends upon what you're in to.

Diana used to have a birthday on her farm every August. God was that ever a blast. That one hasn't happened for a few years though (afaik...maybe she just quit inviting me! :wink2:).

Last edited:
Wunnerful! And with a cool plane like yours, you know you're gonna get plenty of attention and request for rides.

Lol! Well I don't know about that. There should be a few hundred planes there. I do try and help the future of GA and give rides whenever I can. I need to get off my butt and get involved with Young Eagles. My brother does it and it makes me feel guilty for not getting involved.

I'd do Gastons but I don't think my nose gear would take it. That and the fact I'd probably go skidding off the end of the strip with my brakes smoking. :D

Last edited:
Diana used to have a birthday on her farm every August. God was that ever a blast. That one hasn't happened for a few years though (afaik...maybe she just quit inviting me! :wink2:).

Did she fall of the edge of the planet? I haven't seen her post on the forums I haunt in a loooong time.

I got a chance to meet her when she flew down to Quinlan for one of WaltM's events (same Walt that 6PC knows). Totally enjoyed her company.

Um FlyBQ? 6Y9??

Seriously, the only one is Gastons? GTFO!!

Tim, we miss you! :yes: Next time we have one, you will be one of the first to know! :yes:

August is typically hot and muggy here, so we are thinking of waiting till it cools off. Seems like we have had other issues every September, but maybe when things settle down for us we can plan another one after we get back from Ireland/Scotland in early September, and then on to Peoria to see Bruce in mid-September.

Did she fall of the edge of the planet? I haven't seen her post on the forums I haunt in a loooong time.
I just haven't had much to say. (Tom would disagree, I'm sure!) :D

I got a chance to meet her when she flew down to Quinlan for one of WaltM's events (same Walt that 6PC knows). Totally enjoyed her company.
Aren't you sweet! :) I'd love to get together when we get back into the swing of things. :)

Last edited:
I'm not coming until you get the clear handbag!!! Yes YOU Diana!

I'm not coming until you get the clear handbag!!! Yes YOU Diana!

:D:D:D

Here ya' go, Anthony. I still use my see-through flight bag. I know you really want one too. :D

Attachments

• Flight bag (999 x 710).jpg
    Flight bag (999 x 710).jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Flight bag 010 (1200 x 900).jpg
    Flight bag 010 (1200 x 900).jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 30
Of course, lots of POA denizens are known to show up at Oshkosh now and again...

Hope to make Gastons this year,how far is the nearest paved strip? Not sure my aircraft can handle the grass.

If you had to pick just one POA gathering, which would it be? Preferably East of the Rockies, but if the timing were right, I could find my way to just about anywhere in the US except Hawaii.

I intend to make a least one in the next year, but I have to drag my pilot along so it has to be worth her while too.
If I can get the funds together and the time off, I'm considering driving to Gaston's. Still very up in the air and sadly unlikely (funds) but we'll see. Go big or go home right? :D

Hope to make Gastons this year,how far is the nearest paved strip? Not sure my aircraft can handle the grass.

I am told the nearest paved strip is a few minute flight away.
I plan to fly into whatever the recommended one is.

Not sure if BPK or FLP is better.

I am told the nearest paved strip is a few minute flight away.
I plan to fly into whatever the recommended one is.

Not sure if BPK or FLP is better.

The grass is good, but the best hard-surface option is BPK (Ozark Regional, Mountain Home), which is about 2 minutes away by Bonanza, and about 30 minutes by car. When I take off from BPK, I put the gear up by habit, but it's not really necessary.

4.3NM apart.

The grass is good, but the best hard-surface option is BPK (Ozark Regional, Mountain Home), which is about 2 minutes away by Bonanza, and about 30 minutes by car. When I take off from BPK, I put the gear up by habit, but it's not really necessary.

4.3NM apart.

Thank you.
I will plan for BPK.

EdFred has offered to fairy me from the paved strip to Gaston's as long as I allow him to show me his blue knob whatever that means.

This is shaping up to be quite the fly-in.
I am pretty excited about meeting all the POA'ers

You will be indoctrinated into many different legends.

Ron,

As Spike said, BPK is the closest, it's a nice field. There should be numerous volunteers available to pick you up and fly you down the hill. On the off chance that there's not, Gaston's will shuttle from BPK.

EdFred has offered to fairy me from the paved strip to Gaston's as long as I allow him to show me his blue knob whatever that means.

Some days, it's just so easy, it's not worth pulling the trigger

Ron,

As Spike said, BPK is the closest, it's a nice field. There should be numerous volunteers available to pick you up and fly you down the hill. On the off chance that there's not, Gaston's will shuttle from BPK.

But it is a small rite of passage to fly the dam approach.

I am having custom POA t-shirts made for everyone at the fly in so we have something to remember it by. I got a bunch printed up in different sizes. They look great!

Just let me know your size.

attachment.php

Attachments

• GastonsShirts.jpg
    GastonsShirts.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 50
LOL@Bryan.

Joking aside, we used to have annual T-shirts printed up.

Who wants to do that again?

Spike, JCranford on this board (and member of my flying club) owns an embroidery and screen printing shop. Reach out to him to get this done.

Just to clarify things a bit there really aren't any "POA FlyIns" there are fly ins that POAers attend with regularity and are favorites of the posters such as Gastons, FlyBQ, 6Y9er and some others but none are organized or sponsored by POA.

Any flyin that a POAer attends is a fun fly in!

Back