Which planes fit my mission?

MountainDude

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MountainDude
I have a C182 with a 260 HP engine. Amazing plane. Have taken it to Alaska and the Caribbean, will climb to 18K with no problem, will fly for 6 hrs + 1 hr reserve, etc.
This is a partnership, so it makes sense financially. But if I wanted to own a plane by myself, I wonder if there may be less expensive options than a C182.

Requirements:
- 2 seats (4 works too)
- able to climb well at gross (DAs at my field are regularly at 9-10K, and often at 11K in the summer)
- ceiling at 18K
- full-fuel payload of 500 lbs
- large baggage compartment (think multi-week trips with camping and cooking gear)
- long range (the longer the better)
- purchase price under 100K
- high wing for enjoying aerial views and photography (would prefer no strut)
- significantly cheaper to own and operate than a C182 (otherwise there is no point)

Would like to have:
- slow stall speed (I am OK with slow cruise speed)
- BRS
- easy maintenance

Please let me know what models I should consider. Thanks.

Five posts into this thread and nobody has suggested a Bo. :eek:

Seriously, is there a better indication that Cessna pretty well got it right with the 180/182?

I have a C182 with a 260 HP engine. Amazing plane. Have taken it to Alaska and the Caribbean, will climb to 18K with no problem, will fly for 6 hrs + 1 hr reserve, etc.
This is a partnership, so it makes sense financially. But if I wanted to own a plane by myself, I wonder if there may be less expensive options than a C182.

Probably not any that'll do everything the 182 will. I thought about it and my Ovation will be as cheap on a per-mile basis, but you aren't going to find one for under $100K.

- 2 seats (4 works too)
- able to climb well at gross (DAs at my field are regularly at 9-10K, and often at 11K in the summer)
- ceiling at 18K

This is going to rule out pretty much anything at or below 200hp. You need either something with a lot of hp to start with, or a turbo. Mooney M20K might be had for less than $100K, but I think the 182 is a better bird for those camping trips you mentioned. And anything with a turbo is going to be hard to operate for less than the normally aspirated 182.

- full-fuel payload of 500 lbs
- large baggage compartment (think multi-week trips with camping and cooking gear)
- long range (the longer the better)
- purchase price under 100K
- high wing for enjoying aerial views and photography (would prefer no strut)

High wing only eliminates a LOT of options. Since you mentioned 2+ seats, a Super Cub would meet most of your requirements, but even those might be hard to find for under $100K. And it's going to be a fair bit slower than the 182.

For strutless, you'd be looking at either a Cardinal (RG would be best both to have no gear in the way AND because it has more horsepower and thus would climb better than the other Cardinals) or a 210, but the 210 isn't going to be as cheap to operate as the 182.

- significantly cheaper to own and operate than a C182 (otherwise there is no point)

So, yeah. That 260hp 182 you have is a great airplane and meets your mission quite well!

LongEZ with baggage pods. Far, far better vis than a 182, but then most dungeons have better vis than a 182. The Long is far cheaper to operate and maintain, is much faster, and has much longer legs. An extraordinarily well equipped (and well built) Long might/might cost you a bit north of $50K.

But you mentioned a BRS, so you might not be the correct demographic - also, most owners operate Longs off of pavement, vice grass/short fields.

You know you want to move up.. Just do it
CESSNA 195 MINT

LOL, this statement should give you pause: "Never been on it's back or nose extremely rare for a 195"

To the OP, almost nothing owned by yourself is going to be cheaper that the 182 owned with a partner, and certainly wont fulfill the mission the 182 will

A 172 with the 180hp upgrade will do that mission if you can find one with the bigger fuel tanks. Even at high density altitudes it'll climb well with 2 people and bags. Won't be a rocket, but will perform reasonably.

It'll consume about 20% less fuel, engine and prop overhauls will be significantly cheaper. Otherwise it'll cost about the same to operate as the 182.

Last edited:
You are going to have to go experimental to get cheaper operating cost than a 182 with the other requirements. A Bearhawk would be about perfect. I have seen a couple for sale under 100k, other options would be a compair, or Murphy. The only certified airplane I can't think of that meets those requirements is a Maule, but it will not be any cheaper to operate than a 182.

https://www.pipistrel-usa.com/virus-sw/#technical_data
Virus SW is very close to all my specs. The only iffy one is the baggage compartment size.
When I looked inside of one, the cabin is tight (I think that it measures as wide as the front row of a Skylane, but it's shaped differently). But it cruises at a good speed (and you'd have to build your own to do so, as they only sell it assembled as a light sport.) I looked at the kit prices, good luck on finding one under $100K.

Another vote for the 182... BUT a Citabria/Scout would also fit the bill, albeit significantly slower.

Only a 230HP 182 will be a bit cheaper to run with similar performance. Your spoiled.
Why you looking to own?? Sounds like you have a pretty sweet deal going already.

I was thinking stiff legged Cardinal with the pants off. Not sure I would RG it to the unimproved places

Please let me know what models I should consider
Based on your requirements, outside of the BRS you basically already have the right plane for your mission... a 182

Five posts into this thread and nobody has suggested a Bo. :eek:

Seriously, is there a better indication that Cessna pretty well got it right with the 180/182?
Yup, they got the 182 on the money. I have limited time in them, but I can really get the appeal of it. If I wasn't flying what I'm flying now I'd be renting the 182 at our club exclusively. And, frankly, the 210 Cessna did a good job with as well. As a side note, I never understood the obsession with the Bonanza.. nice looking plane but narrow-ish cabin and not the best useful load with a sometimes delicate CG range, all things considered. Someone at some point (AOPA?) did a fly off between two very well and nice equipped 210 and Bonanza, and the 210 beat it in I think every category. The OP's point about BRS kind of does illustrate the point that while it may not be an option everybody wants, there are buyers out there who do put it on their wish list

A 172 with the 180hp upgrade will do that mission if you can find one with the bigger fuel tanks. Even at high density altitudes it'll climb well with 2 people and bags. Won't be a rocket, but will perform reasonably.

It'll consume about 20% less fuel, engine and prop overhauls will be significantly cheaper. Otherwise it'll cost about the same to operate as the 182.

No way that will get up to 18K!

Back