Which plane to upgrade to?

Odd considering how dominant they are in the market particularly with flying schools.

What makes a good plane on a flight school’s ramp is not the same as what makes a plane good for other missions. Look at the Aero/Twin Commander for example.

Aerostars and other pressurized and/or cabin class piston twins are niche aircraft and need to be fed with lots of money, so 135 land is where many end up.

Maybe. Critical altitude is the altitude above which the turbo can’t maintain max manifold pressure. Since boost air is usually a couple hundred degrees hotter than a standard atmosphere, that also has an impact.

Is it noticeable? Depends on the setup.

But since you don't cruise at full power, the aircraft will fly higher than that. A Mooney 252 has a critical altitude of 24,000 feet, but a max cruise altitude of 28,000 feet.

It’s also not single pilot… so there would also be a battle as to who gets to log PIC.

I got an insurance quote on a Piper PA30 twin. $7000/year with a $10k deductible. 25 hours dual required. So the pressurized 414, 421 and a jet must be much higher. :eek:

I got an insurance quote on a Piper PA30 twin. $7000/year with a $10k deductible. 25 hours dual required. So the pressurized 414, 421 and a jet must be much higher. :eek:
I'm in! Get one with the Ray-Jay turbos!

Based on that, I bet a 421 is 2-3x for first year. What you do is go to IAA and get IOE & some dual in their 421.

I wonder what would the rate be in the second year if you got 100 in type in the first year. Do you have a Commercial or ATP? That may lower the rates as well.

I wonder what would the rate be in the second year if you got 100 in type in the first year. Do you have a Commercial or ATP? That may lower the rates as well.

Quoted as PPL with IR, 280hrs TT, 120hrs complex, no commercial, no multi time or rating, and no time in type.

I’m working on my commercial rating so I can re-quote once I get that done.

Quoted as PPL with IR, 280hrs TT, 120hrs complex, no commercial, no multi time or rating, and no time in type.

Commercial won't matter. The no multi and less than 500 hours is the big one here. A quote on a PA30 for me with less than 10 MEL was half-ish of that for the first year with a a $500 or $1k deductible

Another vote - my insur guy told me the commercial license has a ZERO benefit from his perspective.

It's all about IR - yes/no, total time, time in type, retract time.

Get accustomed to insurance rates in that neighborhood or higher to do what you're asking for. Single engine piston aircraft that aren't pressurized are pretty much the cheapest thing to insure no matter what certificates, ratings, and experience you have, so if a $7,000 policy deters you, you might look at compromising and step up to something like a Lance or A36 Bonanza instead (although I bet first year insurance on one of those might be similar). That said, rates will go down with experience and ratings but they eventually bottom out at some point and more or less become a percentage of hull value.

They certainly were made in high volume. Flying is a compromise, and obviously what Cessna offered works (or at least worked for most people). I'm just not one of them. Incidentally we have a really well equipped 172 now in our club, pretty paint, nice avionics, electric MT prop.. good speed for a 172. I put about 10 hrs on it trying to love it (great price, looks nice) but when push came to shove I just don't like the way they fly.

Most of their twins looks great though, especially the 310, 340, and the 337. The 340 aged well, the 310 just looks fast, and the 337 has the utilitarian look to go with it. But I could never justify owning one any of them. For me those compromises don't balance out in my favor

Having said that, their classic tail draggers really do hit the mark of "this is what a light GA plane should look like" .. so there's that!
308117690_3344138392538091_5971660731169645282_n.jpg

Funny I did see that and I’m thinking it’s either a fake listing or the engines are run out. I would love to get a jet, although this one is a two pilot operation.

7000 hours on 5000 TBO engines. :D

And no ADS-B, so has not been flying for a couple of years.

Back