Which plane to get my CP-SES in?

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
I'm planning to get the commercial add on to my CP-SEL/MEL shortly after the first of the year. I live in central Florida and plan to use either Jone's Bros in Tavares or Jack Brown's in WInter Garden. Jack Brown's has a PA-18 and a 172 either of which can be used for the commercial (apparently the J-4s cannot?) while Jone's Bros has a Searey and (currently down for repair of some sort) a C-185.

Any opinions (on POA? Really? :)) on which would be most interesting? I've got lots of my hours in C-172s and did both my CP and IR in a Diamond DA-40. I do not know if I'll ever have opportunity to fly seaplanes again, but plan to round out all my CP fixed wing certs including MES and glider before I quit adding.

https://www.adventureseaplanes.com/seaplane-ratings/

I did mine here a few years back and had a great time. They had a Cub back then too which doesn't seem to be on the website anymore - not sure what happened. I did the bulk of my training in the 172 but flew the others too just for fun.

Do it in whichever plane appeals more to you! Getting the rating if you don't have a use for it is about the experience. We can't tell you which plane you'd enjoy more, but I can say seaplane flying is addicting!

I’d suggest talking with the CFIs in Tavares and Wtr Hvn first. Pick the CFI you prefer, and then the plane will follow.

I’m based at KGIF. If you come to Wtr Hvn, let me know and we’ll connect for lunch or something.

I’m partial to Super Cubs for flying outside of training but my suggestion would be to pick the airplane that is going to require the most technique to fly. That way you’ll get the most out of the hours you spend in training.

I’d suggest talking with the CFIs in Tavares and Wtr Hvn first. Pick the CFI you prefer, and then the plane will follow.

I’m based at KGIF. If you come to Wtr Hvn, let me know and we’ll connect for lunch or something.
Will definitely do. I'm kind of leaning towards Jack Brown's and the PA-16 anyway. But availability will play a role once I get to scheduling in earnest.

Do you do power off landings in the checkride?

I’m intending to do mine in a husky. But, I have to wait until the water isn’t hard.

Do you do power off landings in the checkride?

I don't recall ever doing a power off landing when I did my SES. But I did mine on my Private, just for fun.

I need to do it again to get it to Commercial with all the rest of my ratings.

Back