Which plane for this mission?

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I need to carry 350 people and their baggage (50-75# for each person) from Southern California to the Northeast. Which would be the better option?

747-400
RV-10

Or do you think I could get by with something smaller like an RV-7?

Which engine are you planning to use in the RV? Does it have extended baggage?

I need to carry 350 people and their baggage (50-75# for each person) from Southern California to the Northeast. Which would be the better option?

747-400
RV-10

Wayne, Ed:

You both owe me a new keyboard.

Which engine are you planning to use in the RV? Does it have extended baggage?

It doesn't matter what engine. Once you install any engine in an RV it actually makes its own fuel.

We can use them both

Take the engines off, extend the wings, fill the tanks with 100LL and I know my -10 can tow it non-stop.

The stuff in the hangar smells like methane but it's hard to get it in the tanks.

It doesn't matter what engine. Once you install any engine in an RV it actually makes its own fuel.

Anyone got an idea what a typical annual on a -400 would run? And have they done all the required paperwork to allow the airplane to be flown under 91???

Anyone got an idea what a typical annual on a -400 would run? And have they done all the required paperwork to allow the airplane to be flown under 91???

The annual is only $350. But that only includes an AD check and a once over. :D

The annual on my pawnee typically costs me a case of oil, some brake pads, and a case of beer for the IA. The pawnee seats one. So extrapolating, I'd say 350 cases of beer should do it.

747-400
RV-10

How long do I have? :dunno:

:rofl:

UPS the luggage, carry 3 at a time, use a fuel bladder for extended range. hmmmmm. :lol:

Wayne will be along shortly to say it's illegal to use experimentals for commercial work, or are you claiming 350 as your family? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I wouldn't use them as target drones, why would I care about anything else?:D

How long do I have? :dunno:

UPS the luggage, carry 3 at a time, use a fuel bladder for extended range. hmmmmm. :lol:

Wayne will be along shortly to say it's illegal to use experimentals for commercial work, or are you claiming 350 as your family? :rolleyes:

Well it might be cheaper in the long run to buy a small country and register it there with what ever maintenance requirements you like:goofy:

No reason why a -400 couldn't be flown 91. Done regularly for ferry flights.

The annual on my pawnee typically costs me a case of oil, some brake pads, and a case of beer for the IA. The pawnee seats one. So extrapolating, I'd say 350 cases of beer should do it.

Ahh, that's how you get a cheap annual. Once the IA dips into his third six pack everything looking pretty good. Does the signature have to legible?

Once the IA dips into his third six pack everything looking pretty good. Does the signature have to legible?

Yes, in fact it does. If not legible, the IA is supposed to print in block letters behind the signature. Don't know if it's a rule, regulation and I'm not looking it up, but there is some blow back on that kind of thing.

BTW, the RV-10 is too much plane for this mission. I say go for a Pietenpol or maybe a Jenny. That's 350 trips, and you can strap the bags to a strut, or maybe the wing. Should get them all there - oh, I don't know within a few months.

No reason why a -400 couldn't be flown 91. Done regularly for ferry flights.
It can certainly be done, but because it is a large transport category aircraft, you can't just buy it used from an airline and operate it personally under 91.....must have the FAA approval to do so. Gotta go through the paperwork drill.

What you really need is a Revell model RV3 with rubber band power source

747-400
RV-10

Actually, according to the US Government who runs this mission quite often, you need 2 747s specially equipped and 6 C-5 Galaxies.

Actually, according to the US Government who runs this mission quite often, you need 2 747s specially equipped and 6 C-5 Galaxies.

I was gonna post a smiley but the truth of it really isn't funny. :mad2:

FlyBaby.

An army of FlyBabies.

Does Dover actually have 6 C-5s that they can get into the air at any given time???

Does Dover actually have 6 C-5s that they can get into the air at any given time???

Apparently, 3 go with AF1 and 3 go with the decoy/backup. We won't get into having Kneecap with each mission and whatever fueling planes are required.

The President should fly in a normal plane, like a G-V. The 747 is just ridiculous.

And send all his staff commercial! I like it!!!!

Or fire them. I think that would be more productive.

"If you can't fit it in a G-V, it doesn't fly."

Leave the C-5s at home. Make him call Hertz.

Naaa....... An RV-10 will be better...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

RV-10 it is! :D

It is perfectly suited for the president's mission!

If it takes him longer to get places, maybe we'll see less getting accomplished! I'm liking this more and more...

OK, well I wasn't going to say anything, but I have some information about the new Van's RV 1001 transport category home built. Modeled after a 747-8l, but able to be constructed in your barn or even outdoors. This aircraft has some impressive performance numbers:

Gross: 1,313,000 lb.
Empty weight: 3,000 lb.
Useful load: 1,310,000 lb.
Performance: Mach .98
Service Ceiling: FL700
Range: Unlimited with solar cell option
Engines: Two Continental IO-470's JATO assisted
Fuel type: 87 Octane Auto Fuel
Fuel burn: 60 lb. per hour
Fuel capacity: All of it
Inspection schedule: Whenever someone gets around to it and never during the playoffs
Pilot: One sober, otherwise two
Construction time estimate: Girl Scout Troop 43 completed one in 14 weeks and are now flying it Denver to Beijing direct

Here's a photo of one of the first completed models, built by two nail techs in their garage apartment:

Attachments

• uglyaircraft.jpg
    uglyaircraft.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 35
OK, well I wasn't going to say anything, but I have some information about the new Van's RV 1001 transport category home built. Modeled after a 747-8l, but able to be constructed in your barn or even outdoors. This aircraft has some impressive performance numbers:

Gross: 1,313,000 lb.
Empty weight: 3,000 lb.
Useful load: 1,310,000 lb.
Performance: Mach .98
Service Ceiling: FL700
Range: Unlimited with solar cell option
Engines: Two Continental IO-470's JATO assisted
Fuel type: 87 Octane Auto Fuel
Fuel burn: 60 lb. per hour
Fuel capacity: All of it
Inspection schedule: Whenever someone gets around to it and never during the playoffs
Pilot: One sober, otherwise two
Construction time estimate: Girl Scout Troop 43 completed one in 14 weeks and are now flying it Denver to Beijing direct

Here's a photo of one of the first completed models, built by two nail techs in their garage apartment:

747-400
RV-10

So, you found 350 people that are going to go from 75 and sunny to -10 and snowing voluntarily?

Some folks here should read and understand FAR 91,409 (e)..

And the president should stay his a$$ in the White House and do his job.

And you could use the RV, It's just a matter of how many trips you would like to make.

Some folks here should read and understand FAR 91,409 (e)..

And the president should stay his a$$ in the White House and do his job.

And you could use the RV, It's just a matter of how many trips you would like to make.

Buzzkill :)

Back