Which plane and Bax's last column

jkaduk said:
I've always liked the Starduster Too. It looks cool and I hear it flies great. I haven't had a chance to ride in one yet unfortunately. But I've found that what looks good, flies good.
I think the Pitts misses on # 6. I understand you have to stay sharp in that plane on landings.

I've got maybe 50 hours in a Starduster Too plus a few landings in a Pitts S-2 and IIRC there's not much difference in the skill needed to land either. They have about the same approach and stall speeds (80-90 and 55-58 mph respectively) and about the same (lack of) visibility from the rear (pilot's) seat. Touch down in either one with any drift on pavement and you'll leave tire marks all over the runway (BTDT). The SA300 we had couldn't be fully stalled in the 3 point attitude and that combined with the fairly stiff main gear meant it was awfully easy to bounce.

IOW, I don't think either an S-2 or an SA300 fits the "no effort to maintain proficiency" criteria very well and I'm certain that neither would fit in the "comfortable to sit in" category. After two hours in the 'Duster my back and legs were usually pretty sore.

I think a Citabria would cover most of the criteria except the romance part. I like Citabrias, but I don't think many of them will turn heads.

That said, unless the budget is pretty good, I'd go for a Citabria or Cub depending on your, ah, stature. A Citabria can handle a six foot 200+ lb pilot, but a J-3 was designed for a smaller generation.

And if you are thinking more along the lines of open cockpit biplanes, Waco's are nicer than Stearmans but I think they cost more. A Travel Air is another interesting biplane with room for two normal sized people in the front seat (or one very large one).

gibbons said:
How many in your family?

3, Me (200lbs), Sherry (<120lbs), and Holly (about 30lbs now, but lets suppose we need capability for 3 adults)

lancefisher said:
IOW, I don't think either an S-2 or an SA300 fits the "no effort to maintain proficiency" criteria very well and I'm certain that neither would fit in the "comfortable to sit in" category. After two hours in the 'Duster my back and legs were usually pretty sore.

I think a Citabria would cover most of the criteria except the romance part. I like Citabrias, but I don't think many of them will turn heads.

That said, unless the budget is pretty good, I'd go for a Citabria or Cub depending on your, ah, stature. A Citabria can handle a six foot 200+ lb pilot, but a J-3 was designed for a smaller generation.

And if you are thinking more along the lines of open cockpit biplanes, Waco's are nicer than Stearmans but I think they cost more. A Travel Air is another interesting biplane with room for two normal sized people in the front seat (or one very large one).
I didn't realize the II was that difficult to land. So is there a cheap, easy to fly/land biplane?

Bill Jennings said:
3, Me (200lbs), Sherry (<120lbs), and Holly (about 30lbs now, but lets suppose we need capability for 3 adults)
Meeting all of your requirements except one - probably the most important one - is the Siai Marchetti SF260.

This is a great flying airplane, light on the controls and very responsive. And when configured with a rear seat it can haul three people (if the third one is a child). It cruses at a pretty good clip (about 155 kts true) and is a blast to fly. Very aerobatic and easy to land - tricycle gear. The problem will be with the $$$. A good SF260 will run from $160K to $200K.

Here's a web site but a very poor one: http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/7348/

It may give you some additional information. I flew a SF260 in Las Vegas at Air Combat USA. I really wanted to purchase one after that but had a hard time finding a clean one in my price range.

If I felt I had to go to the Champ line, I'd find a strong Super D. The HP, the CS prop, and the wing are much more favorable to aerobatics than those on the Citabria or even the straight Decathlon.

gibbons said:
The problem will be with the $$$. A good SF260 will run from $160K to $200K.

Thanks, Chip!

What I really need to find is a couple of partnerships. A 1/4 share each of a Bo and an S2C (or Extra) would be great. Too bad this is a smaller metro area, but I am going to try and put the word out.

Bill Jennings said:
Thanks, Chip!

What I really need to find is a couple of partnerships. A 1/4 share each of a Bo and an S2C (or Extra) would be great. Too bad this is a smaller metro area, but I am going to try and put the word out.
I have been looking for such a combination for more than 10 years in 3 different cities...

I hope you have better luck than I have had.

Back