which one to keep: 496 or Tablet?

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
I have a 530 (non WAAS) in the panel on my Bonanza. Currently there is a Garmin 496 RAM mounted to the center yoke, but I am considering replacing the 496 with my tablet (Nexus 7 with GDL 39). I don't really have room for both mounted.
I know I could leave the 496 alone and put the tablet on the seat or a knee board, but realistically I don't see needing both units and I don't want so much clutter.

Which one should I keep on the center mount? Why

I say keep the tablet. You already have a nice GPS in the panel, and the tablet gives you charting and approach plates, among other things.

I don't yet have the GDL 39, but selling the 496 would raise some $$$.

I'm thinking in case of an electrical failure of the panel, which one would I rather have...the 496 does have a virtual 6 pack and 'nearest' feature, but as mentioned above, the tablet has charting, plates.

I don't yet have the GDL 39, but selling the 496 would raise some $$$.

I'm thinking in case of an electrical failure of the panel, which one would I rather have...the 496 does have a virtual 6 pack and 'nearest' feature, but as mentioned above, the tablet has charting, plates.
...and a virtual 6 pack too if it is iOS or Android-based.

FWIW I found a way to keep both in my Bonanza. My 496 is now in an Air Gizmos mount in the upper center of the instrument panel. My tablet uses a portable mount in the area you are using.

Reason for keeping the 496? Mine is set to crossfill from my 430W so there is no effort having it display my flight and having and additional gps in case of a primary failure is nice. There is of course the the xm music and weather, etc. But the sweetest of all is having two of the data fields set to display track and bearing. This is so cool on an instrument approach as a quick reference and an easy way to make perfect corrections for drift the first time. If one gets a little to the right or left of the final approach course there is no guessing, just a quick glance to see how many degrees your track differs from your bearing. Then you know exactly how many degrees of correction will stop the drift, and can make an informed decision on how many degrees of correction you will use to get back on a centered needle and once centered again what correction will keep you there. It makes an approach so much easier than chasing a needle and then waiting to see how it worked out, and then trying again and again. Throwing away this feature would be a huge mistake IMO having flown with mine set up this way. I love the silly thing for this alone. Everything else it does is gravy.

Reason to keep the tablet? Should be obvious. It is your everything isn't it? Flight planning, take it with you, charts, weather, plates, etc. Keep them both, your worth it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I still prefer the in-air advantages of my 296 and am keeping that on my yoke even though I really like Foreflight. Part of that reason is because of my flying in Canada.

I'd put the nexus on the yoke and sell the 496. I use garmin pilot for i OS and it has a nice HSI for VFR navigation.

The yoke mounted nexus will have all the nav and weather display capabilities of the 496 PLUS charts and approach plates.

Back