Which One is Better? Yaesu FTA-720 vs. Sporty's SP-400

Uranus

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dr.NoPe
Which One is Better? Yaesu FTA-720 vs. Icom IC-A24 vs. Sporty's SP-400

Need your help/feedback/comment on comparing those three handhelds.

The only difference/advanatge of Sporty's SP-400 is that it has Localizer/ILS capability.

The rest two DON't have.

And Icom IC-A24 NAV-COM seems "in-between" (based on features, price, battery life, etc.)

Last edited:
I have the Vertex Standard (same company) FTA-720 that had the two meter ham band and the thing is fine. I never use the nav side of it really but the com is fine.

I have the Icom, and although the request was for the others, that radio has served me well. I have never used the LOC function on the radio.

I have a Sporty's air band receiver, and it in no way even approaches the quality of any Icom radio.

You will never use the NAV feature since you most likely have a hand held GPS device that is a million times better.

ICOM can't be beat for quality, but Yaesu has it's proponents.

Thanks for above input, I am now choosing b/t Yaesu FTA-720 and Icom IC-A24, however, Yaesu seems sturdy enough and bit lighter (whole set including battery), would like to hear more from you guys!

I have the small vertex nav/com with NOAA and FM, metal body, submersible, rechargeable and made in Japan.

I think the sporties is made out of plastic and made in China.

Also keep in mind the nav capability of those things is iffy to start with, in a pinch I'd shoot a VOR or LOC, but a ILS with a handheld sounds a little too sporty for my taste.

The Yaesu won't die if it gets wet, which could come in REALLY handy if you are ever downed and trying to communicate with rescuers. For this reason alone, I would pick it over anything else that isn't as durable.

It uses the same accessories as the VX7 ham HTs, so you can get batteries, speaker/mics, etc from Ham Radio Outlet for a lot less than from flying-stuff stores.

I hope Yaesu has learned how to print legends on soft keys so that the ink doesn't wear off. My VX-5 (amateur tri-band) has this problem and I have to dig out the manual to remember what button is what. Didn't have this problem with my OLD FT-727R or my Sporty's airband radio. Nor any other radio I have.

I have the small vertex nav/com with NOAA and FM, metal body, submersible, rechargeable and made in Japan.

Also keep in mind the nav capability of those things is iffy to start with, in a pinch I'd shoot a VOR or LOC, but a ILS with a handheld sounds a little too sporty for my taste.

Trust me 95%+ of Sporty's products are made in China..LOL..

Thanks for above input, I am now choosing b/t Yaesu FTA-720 and Icom IC-A24, however, Yaesu seems sturdy enough and bit lighter (whole set including battery), would like to hear more from you guys!
My wife got me a Yaesu FTA-310 for my birthday. So far, I have no complaints. I have no experience with the Icom, but the Yaesu was significantly cheaper, and comes with the accessories I wanted (alkaline battery pack, cigarette-lighter adapter), which would have made the Icom even more expensive.

How are you going to use it?
If this is an emergency radio, be sure you check out how easy it is to use. With one hand. When things are not going well. Some radios can't be easily programmed, especially in the air. Some are not even easy to enter a specific frequency. How easy is it to change frequencies if told to do so by ATC?
The buttons are so little. And hard to read when the light is not good and you are distracted. And you can't hand it to your wife and say, "punch in this number".
There is something to be said for a big radio with big battery and big buttons.
How much power does it put out? One the alkaline battery pack? 0.5W? ??
Would it be easy to fasten this thing to your panel so you can at least not have to hold it? Does it give a good battery level indication? Does it use a standrad antenna plug in so you can use a longer antenna or even an antenna mounted on the plane?
I have an Icom A6 and have a Yaesu VX5 handheld. Neither is easy to use one handed when you haven't used it for a while.
ARe they easy to use for dialing in AWOS on the way to the airport?
Frankly, I don't like any of them very much, but Sporty's is surprisingly practical.

Trust me 95%+ of Sporty's products are made in China..LOL..
:no: You are wrong sir. I purchased an upgraded display version of SP-400A and it clearly says in the back: Made in Japan. I guess SP-400 falls in less than 5% of your prediction. Sorry :nono: I also bought the Sporty's GA adapter plugs, and they were also Made in Japan as well.

Last edited:

I got an upgraded display version of SP-400A and it says in the back: Made in Japan. FCC ID: DY7RT8059 . NOT made in China

I have tested Sporty's SP-400A last Saturday during KFPR ILS RWY 10R APP. Cross checked with on-board ILS NAV display. ILS needles showing a perfect match. If this unit had a DME, that would've been more amazing.
ILS (LOC, GS) and VOR OBS can be easily accessed by simply pressing the frequency (It automatically senses appropriate NAV mode and displays proper needle). No other user input is required.
Also checked comm both on ground and air. 5/5 loud and clear. Volume loud enough to be heard inside the cockpit during flight.

Back