Which model Keurig?

Save your money and buy a 4 cup brewer. I've had Keurigs for many years now and am thinking about switching back to a small brewer. My wife likes it because she drinks coffee all day and a brewer is a pain in the butt for that, but I drink coffee in the morning and that is it. The Keurig coffee is expensive and mostly not that great. I also shudder to think the amount of plasticizers I have consumed from the K cups.
We have a pod (there are several designs out there) into which you put your own coffee, which then fits into the K-cup receptacle. It turns the Keurig into a single serving machine of acceptable quality. I think it was 10 bucks at Bed Bath and Beyond.

But I use the expresso machine most of the time.

I got my Jura right before the models flipped to the next year.

Buy the Jura refurbished. It's about 50% off.

I've bought 2 refurbished Z9's from www.1stincoffee.com at different times over the last year or so. (One for the house, one for the RV...). On both of them I couldn't tell the difference between refurbished and new, it's pretty much in perfect condition with all of its accessories shipping as new in box.

Was hesitant at first since it's still expensive even after the discount, but they're otherwise SO expensive that it's hard to justify. 50% off takes the sting out of it somewhat.

Of course, the next thing you'll want with a Super Automatic coffee maker is a milk cooler... We buy milk once a week, pour it in the cooler that's connected to the Jura, and for about a week you have maintenance free fresh coffee - just push a button.
I typically get 3 to 5 years out of these low end models, but I am 5 years in and this one is still going strong. This is partly because I am now the only coffee drinker in the house. I don’t put anything in my coffee, so I only frothe milk for guests, maybe once or twice a year. My GF doesn’t do caffeine. I do wish I had a bypass doser on it. My next one will. I picked this one up on closeout for $299, so I couldn’t pass it up (Fry’s).

and there are people who can't understand why others buy bottled water.

If you had crap water, you'd buy bottled water as well. I have my own well now and I still treat it (mostly removing iron and acid). I can then fill the coffee maker, water bottles, or anything else with impunity from the tap.

and there are people who can't understand why others buy bottled water.

I don't understand it if you have good water. If you have ****ty water that a filter can't fix, then I understand it. Another thing I don't understand is when out-of-towners at our local Speedway complain about the gas prices out here in the boonies (currently about $2.69 gallon for regular), but have no problem shelling out the equivalent of $10.00 / gallon for water. Makes no sense to me.

My niblings, godchildren, and other young people who visit me are appalled that I drink well water from the tap. You'd think I was drinking poison. I have a PUR filter on it that I mainly use for making coffee (it slows the mineral deposits in the machine). Not even that will persuade them to drink it. It's baffling to me.

Rich

Keurig is great if you like stale average coffee hehe. V60, Chemex, French Press, AeroPress, etc (yes I have all 4 of these lol). Good single origin beans, freshly roasted, and a Lido ET is what you need :) and a good gooseneck kettle. Oh and a good quality digital scale. Good water makes a massive difference. I use distilled water from the store and use Third Wave Water packets to get the right mineral content. Sounds insane, but if you really get into coffee it is a science.

You can also use canekickers water "recipe" to make good coffee water for cheap. Don't kid yourself. Good water makes a huge difference.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coffee/com..._wizard_making_water/?st=jayhdq4v&sh=d86c18d5

Last edited:
+1 for the Jura. Once you go Jura you never go back. Have a Z9 myself.

Have yet to start roasting my own beans, but I follow the 15-15-15 rule. (Coffee is to be had within 15 months of harvesting, within 15 days of roasting, and within 15 minutes of grinding).

YES! People don't realize this. Find a good quality coffee shop that roasts their own beans and has good quality single origin varieties. I myself use Cartel Coffee, but there are good roasters all over the country. Angel's Cup is really cool as you can get (4) 3 ounce bags of coffee from all different regions of the world - it is a subscription based service. You can choose every week, two weeks, etc.

I had some Geisha a few weeks back. Incredible. Had hints of mango and chocolate.

Last edited:
None. V60, Chemex, French Press, AeroPress, etc (yes I have all 4 of these lol). Good single origin beans, freshly roasted...
Say yes to the press! I'm going to qualify the 'freshly roasted' part - I see local shops advertising 'fresh beans roasted daily' and such...I roast my own (Kyle drum FTW) and find that the flavor is far better after a day or two. It gets richer (for lack of a better word) and less grassy. I also love the smell of roasED coffee but don't care for the smell of roastING coffee.

Don't get me wrong, I'll also drink swill, but I'm going to call out swill that tries to pass itself off as boutique coffee.

Nauga,
who lives by the 3-word coffee rule.

Say yes to the press! I'm going to qualify the 'freshly roasted' part - I see local shops advertising 'fresh beans roasted daily' and such...I roast my own (Kyle drum FTW) and find that the flavor is far better after a day or two. It gets richer (for lack of a better word) and less grassy. I also love the smell of roasED coffee but don't care for the smell of roastING coffee.

Don't get me wrong, I'll also drink swill, but I'm going to call out swill that tries to pass itself off as boutique coffee.

Nauga,
who lives by the 3-word coffee rule.

I would love to roast myself. I don’t buy coffee from anywhere that doesn’t label the roast date on the bag. And yes better to let the beans off gas for a few days after roasting.

Cool to see some fellow coffee nerds on here

17D1F6BB-0DE0-49CE-AD01-BD69CAF5D6AD.jpeg

I don’t buy coffee from anywhere that doesn’t label the roast date on the bag.
I'll take good coffee roasted 1+ month ago over bad coffee roasted last week. I buy my beans from the lady across the street, it comes out of a big unmarked burlap bag she gets from Ethiopia. I tried a small batch first. :D

One online seller used to carry some kind of Vietnamese beans (green) he sold with a disclaimer. He said it should only be used as an example of how bad coffee could really be. I never tried it.

Nauga,
with beans, greens, tangerines and low cholesterol margarines

I'll take good coffee roasted 1+ month ago over bad coffee roasted last week. I buy my beans from the lady across the street, it comes out of a big unmarked burlap bag she gets from Ethiopia. I tried a small batch first. :D

One online seller used to carry some kind of Vietnamese beans (green) he sold with a disclaimer. He said it should only be used as an example of how bad coffee could really be. I never tried it.

Nauga,
with beans, greens, tangerines and low cholesterol margarines

Trust me Cartel isn’t selling crappy beans haha. They really are a great local roaster here in AZ. Ethiopian is one of my favorite varieties. Had one that had a nice blueberry hint to it...another that had a floral taste...very unique almost tea like.

But yes there are a lot of local coffee shops that “roast” beans that aren’t any good. Cartel has a very good reputation

Never heard of Vietnamese beans haha

Here is my coffee setup. Looks like Sam got into the coffee beans last night and tried to make himself a Chemex brew.

9280D53F-DB1D-4822-9E47-2707ACC1123D.jpeg

Keurig is okay.

My dislike for it is that if people use flavored coffees the next use gets a bit of that flavor. I preferred Flavia for that reason, since the Flavia packets don't seem to contaminate the system the way Keurig does.

With any of these convenience machines you tend to get less variety in the coffee used. Some will argue you're giving up flavor and/or quality, but what you like is what you like.

...people use flavored coffees...
That right there is both an oxymoron and a contradiction. Coffee is coffee-flavored. Flavored coffee is not coffee. Unless it's coffee-flavored coffee. But people drink coffee flavor so that don't have to taste coffee-flavored coffee. I don't understand why.

Nauga,
and his dented keyboard

Last edited:
Why would anyone pay so much for Keurig coffee? Because it's fast and convenient. Close as you can get to having someone make it for you.

As to wasteful, yes it is. But so is boring holes in the sky burning 14gph. :)

Why would anyone pay so much for Keurig coffee? Because it's fast and convenient. Close as you can get to having someone make it for you.

As to wasteful, yes it is. But so is boring holes in the sky burning 14gph. :)

My the mini expresso I can make a real latte faster, cheaper and better.

Yeah, I'm a coffee snob ... Me and Mrs. Olson, we're like this || :) Folgers! It's Mountain Grown!

my son worked at starbucks and I stopped in once just to mess with a snobby co-worker he told me about.
I asked "don't you have any real coffee? You know, like Folgers?"
I got the Seinfeld Soup Nazi treatment - "You! No coffee for you! Out!"

I always like John Pinette's comment. Starbuck's has great coffee but the line is too long. He stops off at Dunkin Donuts for a coffee to drink while he's standing in line at Starbucks. The other customers are going "I wish I thought of that."

Give me a can of Maxwell House and a stove top percolator and I am happy.
MaxwellHouseLogo.jpg

By the way Starbucks is not good coffee. Sorry I had to be a snob. They do make good sugary drinks though :p

Last edited:
That right there is both an oxymoron and a contradiction. Coffee is coffee-flavored. Flavored coffee is not coffee. Unless it's coffee-flavored coffee. But people drink coffee flavor so that don't have to taste coffee-flavored coffee. I don't understand why.

Nauga,
and his dented keyboard
This is the time of year that I always have to tell people, "I like coffee flavored coffee and beer flavored beer" with every pumpkin-spiced, peppermint schnapps infused coffee and beer I'm offered. Forget it...

We had one of these in the States before we moved:
41ejvnd3GRL.jpg

Not a Keurig, but same idea (coffee disks). I liked the convenience, and each puck had a bar code so the machine knew what it was brewing. Espresso puck, got you 1-1/2 oz of a fairly nice espresso. Large coffee pod... 12-oz of coffee. Regular... 8 oz. The machine knew and they also had tea pucks and could froth milk. The coffee was way better than the K-cups, in my opinion. Also, the machine was quiet and quick, something I found the Keurigs were none of.

Now that we're living overseas, we have one of these:
saeco-exprelia-evo-superautomatic-coffee-machine-1f3.jpg

Makes great espressos, cappuccinos and lattes. Grinds the beans fresh. The black coffee is more like an Americano than drip, which is fine by me.

With both of thee machines, we still bust out the French Press on the weekends, but you can't beat the machines (especially the Saeco) for convenience.

I second the Jura. I got one a year ago and have been very happy with it. Makes a solid espresso or coffee, and also does a nice job with the sugary drinks for guests.

Back