Which is the best replacement Vacuum Pump

Policeboss

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Policeboss
0-200 with a airborne 215cc pump that went bad. Im considering an AAA, Tempest or Rapco. All are about the same price. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Karry

Last edited:
0-200 with a airborne 215cc pump that went bad. Im considering an AAA, Tempest or Rapco. All are about the same price. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Karry

Tempest and Rapco both have the vane wear inspection port. The Tempest doesn't require a special tool to measure the wear but their port is in the back of the pump and it can be hard to see the vane. Rapco's port is in the side of the pump and they include the little plastic dipstick measuring tool with the pump. Their port plug is a really short socket head capscrew that will strip the threads out of the hole real easily if it's overtorqued.

I prefer the Tempest, myself, but for that O-200, which has the pump mounted vertically, the Rapco stick will make vane measurement easier. The Tempest relies on gravity to drop the vane into the bottom of the rotor slot for wear measurement, and a vertical pump doesn't do that so well.

Dan

Airwolfe - a little on the spendy side but it will last

I think Rapco makes a 1,000 hr dry pump that makes sense from a parts and labor point of view.

I had the Airwolfe installed on the 'kota. I'm probably on the paranoid side about vacuum loss but better safe than sorry at this point in my life.

Thanks Everyone for your advise! I purchased a new Rapco pump not a rebuilt one with a 3/1300 warranty. Thanks Karry

Back