Which is easier: flying or driving?

This really is such a broad question and so freaking conditional to be almost meaningless.

Driving on a twisty steep mountain road with a loaded pickup and trailer in ice and snow in the dark is more difficult than cruising on a dead calm morning VFR in class G.

Holding position over a pitching rolling fishing boat in a gale at night trying to land a basket on deck without a trail line is more difficult than driving across a flat farm field.

:dunno:

You know that, I know that. It's very difficult to compare the two. Really though, aviation takes more knowledge, skill, and expertise. The question was what's an easy way to compare the two to simple folk (non aviators)? I use the video game chess metaphor; there's got to be a better one.

I personally feel a lot more stressed when I drive than when I fly. And driving is a lot more draining than flying for me, so I'm in the camp that driving is more difficult. That being said, tearing up the pattern for an hour gets pretty tiring, as does hood work (I'm not instrument rated, but I bet flying in the clouds is more tiring). It depends what phase of flight you're looking at...as if we haven't established that already.

IMC is much easier than hood work. No artificial restrictions, just push a couple of buttons and watch the show.

I personally feel a lot more stressed when I drive than when I fly. And driving is a lot more draining than flying for me, so I'm in the camp that driving is more difficult. That being said, tearing up the pattern for an hour gets pretty tiring, as does hood work (I'm not instrument rated, but I bet flying in the clouds is more tiring). It depends what phase of flight you're looking at...as if we haven't established that already.

The question was what's an easy way to compare the two to simple folk (non aviators)?
You can also cite number of accidents as measurement what is more difficult when talking to your non-pilot friends.
Clearly GA is more dangerous than driving (about 10 times) and accident statistics are clear about that even though on the road you are at the mercy of other drivers.
Only when you advance to the next level of highly structured & regulated commercial flying when things get reversed in terms of safety.

Last edited:
I drive mostly on the DC Beltway. Flying is easier. Far fewer people trying to kill me........

You can also cite number of accidents as measurement what is more difficult when talking to your non-pilot friends.
Clearly GA is more dangerous than driving (about 10 times) and accident statistics are clear about that even though on the road you are at the mercy of other drivers.
Only when you advance to the next level of highly structured & regulated commercial flying when things get reversed in terms of safety.

I do NOT need help convincing anyone GA is dangerous.

That's BS if you know what you're doing and follow about three basic rules the rates aren't all that different.

That's BS if you know what you're doing and follow about three basic rules the rates aren't all that different.
Sure.. if you follow a few basic rules in driving you can also reduce rates, sorry, it is total BS, the rates are what they are. The pilots who crashed also probably believed they "knew what they were doing".

Read the NTSB reports and report your findings. How smart do you have to be to stay sober, keep fuel in the tanks, stay away from weather you can't handle, refrain from buzzing and flying into IMC unless you're rated and current?

Sure.. if you follow a few basic rules in driving you can also reduce rates, sorry, it is total BS, the rates are what they are. The pilots who crashed also probably believed they "knew what they were doing".

Also, crash stats are not a good way to gauge difficulty. Flying a 747 is more difficult but they have great crash stats. I think I'm just going to say "flying takes more skill" and call it a day.

Driving is easier when deciding to go. Short of a blizzard, just get in and drive.

A blizzard has never stopped me from driving anywhere. But I've not had the blizzards like folks have by them rocks out west - those might get me to not drive.

With driving, I am FORCED into close proximity to and constant near collisions with a whole bunch of other vehicles (near collisions meaning inches of clearance between vehicles traveling the opposite direction at over 100mph closure rates).

With an airplane, I can fly from Denver to the Atlantic Ocean and see a handful of planes on the way (including the ones in the pattern at fuel stops). If I pick my fuel stops carefully, I can never see another plane.
Heading does not have to be held within 1 degree like a car on the interstate. I am not having to constantly adjust heading and speed to avoid other airplanes (like passing).

Flying is less fatiguing, more enjoyable, less workload, and there's no such thing as a traffic jam or construction zone.
It's also noisier, dirtier, requires more planning, and is less tolerant of weather problems.
And it's a whole lot faster.

When everything works, flying jets is actually much easier.

Also, crash stats are not a good way to gauge difficulty. Flying a 747 is more difficult but they have great crash stats. I think I'm just going to say "flying takes more skill" and call it a day.

You might want to consider using the interstate highway system for driving trips.

With driving, I am FORCED into close proximity to and constant near collisions with a whole bunch of other vehicles (near collisions meaning inches of clearance between vehicles traveling the opposite direction at over 100mph closure rates).

With an airplane, I can fly from Denver to the Atlantic Ocean and see a handful of planes on the way (including the ones in the pattern at fuel stops). If I pick my fuel stops carefully, I can never see another plane.
Heading does not have to be held within 1 degree like a car on the interstate. I am not having to constantly adjust heading and speed to avoid other airplanes (like passing).

Flying is less fatiguing, more enjoyable, less workload, and there's no such thing as a traffic jam or construction zone.
It's also noisier, dirtier, requires more planning, and is less tolerant of weather problems.
And it's a whole lot faster.

You might want to consider using the interstate highway system for driving trips.

Other than head-on closure, the issues remain. A semi 24 inches away in windy conditions is more concerning that most things that happen in a plane.
Plus there's lots of placed the interstates don't go.

It's all relative.

I've never been cut off by a bicycle messenger while flying.

I've never been hit by an old lady on a rickshaw piled ten feet high with beer and soda bottles while flying.

I've never operated an aircraft within inches of four other aircraft, whose operators I didn't know.

I've never had the pilot of an airplane open his door into the traffic lane right in front of me.

I've never seen an airplane cut across three lanes of traffic so the kids could pee in the bushes.

I've never had an aircraft in front of me suddenly stop and shift into reverse because the pilot missed his exit.

I've never had another aircraft try to ride my draft to save gas.

I've never had a drunk stagger in front of me while flying.

If you consider the act of driving in terms of the sheer number of observations, decisions, and corrections we have to make -- several every second in typical city traffic -- it's a lot harder than most people think. It's just that we do it so much that we don't really think about it.

-Rich

Have you ever drawn bulls-eyes around the bullet holes?

It's all relative.

I've never been cut off by a bicycle messenger while flying.

I've never been hit by an old lady on a rickshaw piled ten feet high with beer and soda bottles while flying.

I've never operated an aircraft within inches of four other aircraft, whose operators I didn't know.

I've never had the pilot of an airplane open his door into the traffic lane right in front of me.

I've never seen an airplane cut across three lanes of traffic so the kids could pee in the bushes.

I've never had an aircraft in front of me suddenly stop and shift into reverse because the pilot missed his exit.

I've never had another aircraft try to ride my draft to save gas.

I've never had a drunk stagger in front of me while flying.

If you consider the act of driving in terms of the sheer number of observations, decisions, and corrections we have to make -- several every second in typical city traffic -- it's a lot harder than most people think. It's just that we do it so much that we don't really think about it.

-Rich

I drive mostly on the DC Beltway. Flying is easier. Far fewer people trying to kill me........

:yeahthat:

I get out of the plane, cruise down Rt 50, and then get on the beltway, and it's right about then that I wish I flew at an airport closer to home. I hate the beltway with a fiery passion. But the views over on the Eastern Shore are magnificent...not to mention that the prices are much lower :).

How smart do you have to be to stay sober, keep fuel in the tanks, stay away from weather you can't handle, refrain from buzzing and flying into IMC unless you're rated and current?
Good try but this line of argumentation is lost on me. There were far too many 'smart' pilots that crashed in 'dumb' circumstances, I don't even think being 'smart' or 'dumb' has anything to do with it, there are a lot more subtle traits of human nature like overconfidence, urge to accomplish task, sense of invincibility, misplaced attention, lack of discipline (all could be temporary), etc. I don't think those two ATPs with every possible rating in their logbooks and about 40,000 hrs of combined flight experience that flew a brand new G1000 equipped (with TAWS) Cessna 172 into the side of the mountain on a clear night outside Vegas were 'dumb'.

Last edited:
A blizzard has never stopped me from driving anywhere. But I've not had the blizzards like folks have by them rocks out west - those might get me to not drive.

It might not really be a blizzard unless you can't drive...I-80 in Wyoming in a winter storm...it's an experience, I'll say that. I-70 & I-90 have equal or worse weather but they don't have the truck traffic.

It might not really be a blizzard unless you can't drive...I-80 in Wyoming in a winter storm...it's an experience, I'll say that. I-70 & I-90 have equal or worse weather but they don't have the truck traffic.

Yeah, out east the wimpy weathermen call it a blizard if we have 9" of snow. The nice part is I'm the only one on the roads then.

Yeah, out east the wimpy weathermen call it a blizard if we have 9" of snow. The nice part is I'm the only one on the roads then.

Driving is like flying in that you have to have the right equipment. I feel pretty good driving in bad snow and ice conditions, of course I have 4wd and fresh Blizzak's. The guy driving the 82' Regal with four bald Sears Road Handler tires is probably not going to have a good experience even in 1" of snow.

Yet there's always that guy out there, JUST like flying!

LOL at the people from Dallas saying they know how to drive in snow. 1/2" of the stuff and your whole city shuts down.

LOL at the people from Dallas saying they know how to drive in snow. 1/2" of the stuff and your whole city shuts down.

Why would I need 4WD and Blizzak's in Dallas? I don't even think you can buy snow tires in Dallas anyway.

I must be talking about somewhere else I spend a lot of time.

Hey, I'm just going by what you have listed:

Alexb2000
(User ID: Alexb2000)
Pattern Altitude

While very true, I would imagine that they are better at driving on sheet ice than many others.

What amazes me is the artifical boundies we put in place. Driving in Kentucky in a mild snow storm is hell, cross the bridge into Ohio and the same weather is NBD:dunno:

While very true, I would imagine that they are better at driving on sheet ice than many others.

What amazes me is the artifical boundies we put in place. Driving in Kentucky in a mild snow storm is hell, cross the bridge into Ohio and the same weather is NBD:dunno:

I remember back in college there was a spring break snow storm that was wreaking havoc in KY, TN, and possibly GA. The cops were stopping cars on 75 and not letting anyone through, unless they had MI or OH license plates.

Couple years ago we got, oh about 1/2 inch of snow.

Driving on it in NKY scared the hell out of me, it was scary slick and the interstates were rightly shut down.

Ohio the roads were clear and dry.

Kentucky had sprayed brine on the roads, so the first little bit of snow had melted, then frozen and they had a skating rink of snow on top of slush on top of ice.

ODOT just plowed the crap off :lol:

Studded snow tires FTW. :)

Studded snow tires FTW. :)

About the only thing that would have helped.

As it happened I stopped on the interstate in KY, as soon as I stopped moving the car slid left downgrade untill I came to rest against the curb. This was just the normal crowing of the road for drainage

That's why if I bother with winter tires, I get studded. Worked great in PA.

Hey, I'm just going by what you have listed:

Alexb2000
(User ID: Alexb2000)
Pattern Altitude

Fair enough.

I'll be looking for your comments next BBQ discussion.:D

Couple years ago we got, oh about 1/2 inch of snow.

Driving on it in NKY scared the hell out of me, it was scary slick and the interstates were rightly shut down.

Ohio the roads were clear and dry.

Kentucky had sprayed brine on the roads, so the first little bit of snow had melted, then frozen and they had a skating rink of snow on top of slush on top of ice.

ODOT just plowed the crap off :lol:

We get our share of snow around here, no doubt about it. But the authorities usually do a very good job clearing it up. That, a good set of snow tires or A/Ts, and some common sense, are really all you need. I also took winter driving training two or three decades ago when I was with EMS in the Central New York area (where it's measured in feet), and that training has stuck with me.

It's really not hard. Winter driving courses go into a lot of detail, but the most important differences are doing things more gradually (accelerating, decelerating, preparing for turns, etc.), learning to understand and control the vehicle's momentum, allowing more stopping time, learning how to avoid and recover from a skid (not doing stupid stuff like braking in turns, for example), and that sort of thing.

Long story short, in Upstate New York, I don't remember a time when I couldn't go somewhere, if I had to, because of snow. There have, however, been many trips that I chose not to make because, well, it's kind of idiotic to drive 25 miles through white-out conditions, or on a night when the snow is coming down faster than they can plow it away, just because you feel like a Big Mac.

If you take driving at all seriously, then go / no-go decisions are a part of it, just as with flying. In my case, they're pretty typical because almost all my driving is either recreational or photography-related, both of which take me on less-than-wonderful roads and trails much of the time. A rainstorm could be a very serious thing on a road like this one:

tom1.jpg

tom2.jpg

-Rich

Last edited:
Yep, just like driving fast in the dry it boils down to traction the circle, you just have less of it, waaaaay less

Yep, just like driving fast in the dry it boils down to traction the circle, you just have less of it, waaaaay less

Exactly. Momentum, on the other hand, is unchanged; so you have to learn to understand, control, and use it.

-Rich

Exactly. Momentum, on the other hand, is unchanged; so you have to learn to understand, control, and use it.

Too many people don't understand that ABS and electronic stability control do not exempt one from the laws of physics.

Back