Which iPad for FlyQ EFB?

kgruber

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skywag
I'm thinking to purchasing FlyQ, with the CFI discount.

What is the best iPad to buy? And should I consider something older on eBay?

Best............Karl
jn9270.jpg

I'm using an iPad Mini 4, non-cellular, but with a home-built stratux. Perfect size for using a couple of rubber bands to attach to a sun visor in a Cessna 150.
I purchased an Apple 'refurbished' unit from the Apple website. Full warrantee, and significant savings.

That being said, I'm also looking at the new basic iPad, as a kneeboard thing for using with the Lightspeed Zulu 3 recording app, and as a backup. Too large for the visor, but also reasonable in price.

I use the newest mini and it runs great.

I love flyQ by the way...for the price and functionality you can't beat it.

Just bought a new 6th gen IPAD, cell model. It has a 128GB and is 1/2 inch smaller width than my old IPAD2. I got it for $199 with a 2 year contract from AT&T , and it also has the new tech screen. I use it with FlyQ which I like a lot.

I pad mini seems to work fine. My safety pilot the last flight ,was using a mini with Flyq

If you are a CFI WingX is free for you, so you are zero out of pocket and no annual renew costs..

Do not get anything older than an iPad Air II.
Some of the newer (really neat) features will not run on the older iPads.

I have the PRO 10.5 and it is perfect.
I had a old mini and the glare was horrible.
The new pro models have a very good antiglare and I can read mine perfect in direct sun.
Get the cellular version! It has built in gps.
Some of the cheap asses think they are saving buying the wifi version.... Then they have to buy a stupid external gps. By the time you buy that you can get the cellular version with GPS.
I use wing X for GPS and it is perfect. I love the features and at the same tome it doesnt do so much that it gets confusing.
I tried foreflight and hated it after being used to wing X.
I don't know what FlyQ is??

I have a 9.7pro Ipad I use with FlyQ (it is the older 9.7 pro so I can hook up the magnetic keyboard). It works perfect. I just got a 128 GB with WiFi, since I use my Stratux for ADSB -IN and GPS. I added an anti-glare screen shield which made flying in direct sunlight easy.

I picked up a reconditioned iPad 2 and it actually works just fine with it. It has internal GPS and for my Aeronca it does everything in good fashion.

I use it with an iPad Air 2 and runs great. I have a wifi model because I get the GPS off my ADS-B connection.

I picked up a reconditioned iPad 2 and it actually works just fine with it. It has internal GPS and for my Aeronca it does everything in good fashion.
I was having some starts and stops on startup with this combination. This was one reason I updated to the latest IPad technology. I think that if you keep the extraneous apps to a minimum with a lot of storage left, I'm hoping you have better success.

I was having some starts and stops on startup with this combination. This was one reason I updated to the latest IPad technology. I think that if you keep the extraneous apps to a minimum with a lot of storage left, I'm hoping you have better success.

I've been using it for more than 18 months and not a hiccup. I keep at least 10 GB free HD space and it's basically flying and reading books and magazines as far as apps go. At Aeronca speeds, it's perfect. And at an Aeronca budget, so much more so.

I've been using it for more than 18 months and not a hiccup. I keep at least 10 GB free HD space and it's basically flying and reading books and magazines as far as apps go. At Aeronca speeds, it's perfect. And at an Aeronca budget, so much more so.

After my new 6th gen IPad locked up after a successful flight, I took it and my old IPad2 to the Genius Bar. They had to reinstall the system on both IPads. The result is that the latest system software that the CPU allowed in each case gave me perfectly functioning FLYQs. So now I have the new version IPad and a backup Ipad that will work quite well. The Ipad2 is only slower on startup and 3 times slower on FlyQ dbase updates but worked just fine when left with adequate storage and uncluttered apps.

Back