Which IFR course?

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I earned my PPL in March and am working to build XC time. I am starting my Instrument course. Which set of books/DVDs should I go with?

Sporty's?

American Flyers? (They sent me a free IFR book after my PPL)

King Schools?

Each has their fans and detractors.

I am working the King Online course, and have copies of the Dogan and Garner books. Each have the same information, but one might cover a topic just a bit better for my style of learning than the others.

I am also considering a classroom setting. The courses you mention and the books do a good job covering the test material. But it's possible a classroom setting would provide some deeper insight because the instructor covers some areas of practical application, or another student asks a good question that I didn't think of.

Also, don't forget the free material from the FAA.

From what I have read most of the courses are real good. I used the Cessna/King course(both the new barely GPS CD version, and the new GPS on line version). I supplemented with the Gleim test book, the FAA books, Dogan's book, and a lot of on line reading, and searches.

I would see what your CFII wants you to use, and then build from there.

some say that hunor helps learning. I enjoyed the King Schools corny humor.

Go with the one which best fits your own learning style. So, what has/has not worked for you in the past?

I like to home study and use Gilem most of the time have also used ASA

While you're trying to decide where to spend your money, take a look at the free tutorials I've posted at www.AvClicks.com. A lot of good info there and more coming soon. I've had to interrupt the development due to illness and death in the family this past year. But! I'm on the case again.

Here's a preview of a few slides in my upcoming lesson on the ILS:
http://www.avclicks.com/Flash2/Test_ALS/index.html

Btw, they're in Flash for now, iPads probaby won't work.

dtuuri

Got my ppl many many years ago and used mostly FAA study guides .for my advanced ratings used mostly books and some dvds

, they're in Flash for now, iPads probably won't work.

dtuuri

Yes it will if you use the Photon Browser for iPad.

That's what I used for viewing the King online course, and that was Flash based.

I'll scope out your creation soon to see how well it works on iPad.

I am using King and Gleim. Supplementing with ASA test book. Also will be taking Aviation Seminars weekend course to close holes closer to test.

King videos and/or Gleim test prep book to help with the written test. From a practical standpoint, I liked ASA'S Pilot's Manual: Instrument flying which is a bit easier to digest than the FAA pubs and offers practical advice as well.

Last edited:
I did the King videos back ages ago when I first did my instrument. I nailed the written. After letting it expire before getting the rating, I redid it with Mr. Gleim (first the red books, and later his PC software) and have done that for every other written since (IFR and others).

As for actually flying, the Peter Dogan book is best for actually conveying information without a bunch of irrelevant stuff that a lot of instrument training manuals feel compelled to insert. I ended up with two copies (because I bought one and then a second came with the PIC course).

TI, just get the Gleim text and the accompanying Test study guide. You are able to study in that manner and it works for you. Very inexpensive and great references after you pass.

Back