Which freq for flight following to Carlsbad KCRQ after exiting SFRA?

James Darren

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
James Darren
Hi all,

I'll be heading to Carlsbad KCRQ from Santa Monica. After exiting the SFRA going south, which freq do I use for flight following to Carlsbad?

Looking on my chart, the closest freq listed to the SFRA is 127.2 above 3000ft or 125.35 below 3000ft. Is this the correct freq?...

Can't you request flight following from clearance delivery? They should give your all the information that you need.

I could do that on the ground at Santa Monica. The problem is once I go into the SFRA over LAX airspace I can not get flight following through there (I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Which why I'm asking the question of which freq to use once I exit the SFRA going south...

Can't you request flight following from clearance delivery? They should give your all the information that you need.

Bob - this ain't St. Louis! Go pull the LAX Bravo chart and have at it. . . .

OP: 124.3 - the easy way is to check departure freqs for local airports. . . .

Look at the charts for Hawthorne - thats their departure freq - or- Torrance for that matter.

Last edited:
Or just use the Mini route and get handed off (if SMO doesn't F it up).

I would not count on the tower doing it right - SMO and HHR are tough spots to be in - but - in a couple years it won't matter since SMO will be closed.

Back