Which forum for Hops and $100 Hamburgers?

Where would you like to see "Cool Places to Fly" type threads?

• In a forum of its own.

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • In an existing forum.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • No Opinion.

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Which forum do you recommend we post about traveling to different places and about fly-in's. Don't know whether to use Hangar Talk or Flight Following.

And hey, how did I get a reputation already? I don't know what that means. Have I been bad?

Diana said:
Which forum do you recommend we post about traveling to different places and about fly-in's. Don't know whether to use Hangar Talk or Flight Following.

Flight Following if you want to post in an av-only forum. Hangar Talk is ANY topic, aviation-related or not. Personally, I use Flight Following.

Diana said:
And hey, how did I get a reputation already? I don't know what that means. Have I been bad?
Others add or subtract to your reputation, based on your posts. No, you haven't been bad. It's not a system that affects your role here. It lets readers know how your input is valued by others.

Diana said:

I did that :) It's a positive thing.

We currently don't have a designated "Hops and $100 Hamburgers" type forum, although such a thing is certainly possible.

The nature of this softare, however, allows us to retain posts as long as we want. Now in some forums - the casual conversation forums for example - we would not want that feature as the database would bloat to beyond our limits.

A forum for "Destinations of Interest" however would be a good candidate for indefinite retention - and possibly organized into sub forums by region or even state (gads, 50 sub forums...ewwww).

The reason that we haven't set it up yet, however, is because from my own experience of other sites, there hasn't been a tremendous amount of activity in similar forums in comparison to other topics. As demand increases for specific sub-categories, we can respond to meet the demand. :)

We do - two kinds actually - one of them for us - and one of them is Search Engine friendly.

And we've also been submitted to approximately 50 internet search engines, including Google, Yahoo, and MSN. It may take a few weeks (months?) before they "crawl" our site, but they will. :) This should help us draw in other pilots from the net who may not have been regulars on some of the sites our management team used regularly. :)

And hey, how did I get a reputation already? I don't know what that means. Have I been bad?[/QUOTE]

Diana -- where do you see reputation? (I'm having trouble figuring things out here.)

Toby

Toby said:

Diana -- where do you see reputation? (I'm having trouble figuring things out here.)

Toby[/QUOTE]
Toby,

The little green square near your name is your reputation. Double click on the square and you'll get a pop-up that says how many points you have. Everyone starts off with 10 positive reputation points. After you post a few messages, you can add to or subtract from the reputation of others, but not your own. There is a description of how it works in another thread.

Actually double clicking the reputation bar, for me anyway, doesnt do anything. Hovering the mouse over the bar shows your text description of your reputation. Clicking the reputation icon
reputation.gif
on your own post shows a popup with your reputation. Clicking the same icon on someone elses post lets you add/subtract reputation (but if you do not meet the required criteria - 50 posts, reputation > 10, your opinion will have no influence on that person's reputation.)

See the "Thread Ratings and Reputation" thread in "Forum Support" for the full details. :)

just my $0.02, but I'd love to see a "places to fly" forum. I'm always looking for the odd, fun "local" spot on my cross country flyabouts.

If we had enough input from members, they could list "cool" spots in their neck of the woods.

S.

sshekels said:
just my $0.02, but I'd love to see a "places to fly" forum. I'm always looking for the odd, fun "local" spot on my cross country flyabouts.

If we had enough input from members, they could list "cool" spots in their neck of the woods.

S.

I think that's a great idea....

I may regret this, and I don't know how this group works things, but I could be persuaded to help moderate such a forum. (Would that give me a valid reason to tell my family I HAVE to fly? LOL)

sshekels said:
I may regret this, and I don't know how this group works things, but I could be persuaded to help moderate such a forum. (Would that give me a valid reason to tell my family I HAVE to fly? LOL)
Stick around and keep participating. We're working on just such a program as things progress. You're right, you may regret it. ;)

In the interest of serving the public demand, I have added a poll to this thread. If the demand is sufficient to warrant a "Cool Places to Fly" forum, we'll add it. :)

Please cast your votes!

Can we consider it a "majority" with 11 votes? LOL - Hopefully this post will "bump" this topic and get more input!

S.

sshekels said:
Can we consider it a "majority" with 11 votes? LOL - Hopefully this post will "bump" this topic and get more input!

S.

Is there some way to vote twice? I can't figure out how to do that. :)

Back