Which famous guy is more important to Aviation?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Gotta give credit to Ron Levy for coming up with this question: When operating an aircraft, put these well known Italians (and a Swiss guy with an Italian name) in the proper order:

• Guglielmo Marconi
  • Amerigo Vespucci
  • Daniel Bernoulli

It's a fun way to remember an important principle of being a pilot. :yes:

Gotta give credit to Ron Levy for coming up with this question: When operating an aircraft, put these well known Italians (and a Swiss guy with an Italian name) in the proper order:

• Guglielmo Marconi
  • Amerigo Vespucci
  • Daniel Bernoulli

It's a fun way to remember an important principle of being a pilot. :yes:
Bernoulli
Vespucci
Marconi

(Aviate, navigate, communicate....).

(In the case of Vespucci, there's something about falsifying the logbooks....)

Ron Wanttaja

And Bernoulli effect is actually a consequence of the conservation of energy.
Air has two types of energy of interest to flight: potential (due to pressure) and kinetic (due to air moving across the wings). If one increases, the other must decrease according to the conservation of energy. If the speed of the air goes up, the pressure goes down = lift.

I never did think much of the Bernoulli effect. It always seemed merely a description of what happens rather than how it happens.

I'd substitute Prince Henry the Navigator for Vespucci.

I'd substitute James Clerk Maxwell for Marconi.

Last edited:
Otto L. And the Brothers Wright. Before them Icarus and Daedalus. People that did, Marconi and company were all talk. Although I do soar the dunes of Marconi beach.:)

For shear testicle size I'd nominate Sikorsky. The thought of inventing a practical helicopter and then strapping yourself into the prototype and learning how to fly it gives me cold sweats.

if talking Italians, personally I must add Guiseppe. Bellanca.
Well, an italian immigrant. Pretty important in my book!

For shear testicle size I'd nominate Sikorsky. The thought of inventing a practical helicopter and then strapping yourself into the prototype and learning how to fly it gives me cold sweats.

Flying it while wearing a suit, tie, and dress hat. (I guess the Wrights, did, too.)

Back