Which driving habits did you have to fight during flight training?

I of course did the turn thing during taxi, the other one was trying to look into a non existent rear view mirror in my Warrior.

-John

At least you have a back window!

As a student, I only made the tractor throttle move a couple of times. But still, after long legs, I'm still a little dangerous on the road. Got to watch the speed a little closer, and learn to follow the yellow line out front again. "No stop signs, no speed limits" is part of the fun of flying, and I hate going back to both. Does that mean I'm flying to H-E-double-toothpicks? [apologies to AC/DC]

This is my biggest issue with my landings. I constantly land just a few feet to the left of the centerline, generally so my instructor can look down and see it right under the right wheel, so he can give me crap for the next traffic pattern.

What impresses him the most is that I land exactly the same distance off-center no matter the winds, be it on 10L or 28R the same day, or with strong cross winds from either direction, doing left or right traffic.

It's on my to-fix for my next solo flight.

Go practice on a narrower runway. That'll fix what ails ya! :thumbsup:

True, although two of the runways I land at nearly every flight are 60' and 75' wide. I just need to work on the sight of the runway being perfectly centered instead of a few feet off to the left.

All my instructor expects is perfection, as he likes to tell me.

It didn't take more than once of rolling the throttle the wrong way for me to quit riding my motorcycle to the airport to get in a helicopter.

Not too many problems driving on the street (although I did look to push the prop forward to slow down the other day), but the first time I drove on the AOA at work (LAX) I had to remind myself more than once that I was in the truck, and would NOT be taxiing over to 25R for departure

doesn't everyone lean into their turns?

No, no, I'd NEVER done that. Ever. I have no idea what you're talking about mister. Absolutely no idea, before I saw this post. Nope.

My big problem: driving too fast after flying. The car is so quiet compared to the plane and you're used to landing speeds.....

Me too!

My plane stalls around 60. I find myself driving the 55 speed limit to the airport, and 70mph going home! :lol:

Back