Which Denver area FBO recommended?

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Which FBO in Denver? Heading into APA or BJC first of March. Looks like APA (Centenial) has many more choices. BJC (Rocky Mountain Regional) has one FBO and prices look pretty high. If I fly into APA, which FBO is recommended? Need Jet A, perhaps a hangar and will need a rental car.

Thanks in advance,

Best,

Dave

I've seen many people here recommend TAC Air although Denver Jet or XJet would probably be OK too. There's JetA and rental cars at all FBOs. You should probably call ahead about the hangar, especially if there's snow forecast.

Are you going to be here long enough for a POA lunch/dinner?

Thanks. Don't know. We're usually in a hurry to get to the Winter Park condo so we can get settled. Some need to rent skis and stuff and I usually have other folks with me, but I can check with them and see if we can eat an early dinner there on the way. Have to eat somewhere. I just know everyone will want to get there, but all of us are pilots. We're planning on coming in on Saturday, March 1. Probably late afternoon, but might be in earlier since it's on Saturday.

Best,

Dave

TAC air at Centennial APA. Best fuel price, excellent service. Always call ahead for car and such. What are you flying in?

IF and I stress IF you were mtn qualified I'd recommend Granby but not in the winter because you can't guarantee the weather.

A C90 King air. It's about an hour and a half drive to Winter Park from Centennial and I'd rather have the better facilities and be out of the mountains.

Thanks,

Dave

If hangar space turns out to be a problem at APA, FTG is a good back-up choice. Competetive pricing, hangar space, rental cars available. Drive time to Winter Park will be within 10 minutes of drive time from APA.

We took the Mustang to Xjet for 2 nights. They took good care of it and had the rental cars for both pax and crew ready on arrival. I don't remember if we had it hangered or not. It was May so I couldn't tell you that part. They had our ETD so it was ready for us when we arrived back at the airport. The FBO is a little small in comparison to the typical Signature or TAC Air but nobody notices if you're not sticking around anyways. They did a good job though so no complaints.

Last edited:
If hangar space turns out to be a problem at APA, FTG is a good back-up choice. Competetive pricing, hangar space, rental cars available. Drive time to Winter Park will be within 10 minutes of drive time from APA.

Thanks, will check there.

Dave

We took the Mustang to Xjet for 2 nights. They took good care of it and had the rental cars for both pax and crew ready on arrival. I don't remember if we had it hangered or not. It was May so I couldn't tell you that part. They had our ETD so it was ready for us when we arrived back at the airport. The FBO is a little small in comparison to the typical Signature or TAC Air but nobody notices if you're not sticking around anyways. They did a good job though so no complaints.

Thanks,

Hope you're enjoying flying the Mustang :)

Best,

Dave

We've gone to BJC several times in the past. There were two FBOs until a few years ago. Current folks were very nice last year but everything is higher. Add that up to ski, rental car and condo, it's making some folks shy away. That's why we're looking at alternatives.

Best,

Dave

A C90 King air. It's about an hour and a half drive to Winter Park from Centennial and I'd rather have the better facilities and be out of the mountains.

Thanks,

Dave

90 min weather and traffic permitting.

Would have liked to have met ya and gawked at your KA, Dave. We won't be available on the 1st. Might be around after that but unsure right now.

Don't have a clue who has the best prices on KA sized hangars but we just bought a 182 sized t-hangar yesterday, moving in around Mar 1st at KAPA.

4 year break even on renting, we should have done it sooner. But then again, prices hadn't bottomed out yet back then and people still thought a tin shed was worth about double what we just agreed to pay. ;)

Would have liked to have met ya and gawked at your KA, Dave. We won't be available on the 1st. Might be around after that but unsure right now.

Don't have a clue who has the best prices on KA sized hangars but we just bought a 182 sized t-hangar yesterday, moving in around Mar 1st at KAPA.

4 year break even on renting, we should have done it sooner. But then again, prices hadn't bottomed out yet back then and people still thought a tin shed was worth about double what we just agreed to pay. ;)
Got electricity?

Thanks folks. I'm pretty sure we went into Tac Air a few years ago when I was out there. Landed runway 35R and turned off almost right into it as we slowed. I\ll look at that and Denver Jet Center. BJC is just a bit easier in and out, but I lean this way this year for several reasons.

Best,

Dave

Thanks. I called Tac Air this morning and it sounds like a go. The do have a hangar shortage; said they could wait list me but it was $275 a night. Uhhh we'll wait until we see what the weather looks like. Maybe put it in the last night if needed. Not sure they can do that and it may change our FBO.

Best,

Dave

Thanks. I called Tac Air this morning and it sounds like a go. The do have a hangar shortage; said they could wait list me but it was $275 a night. Uhhh we'll wait until we see what the weather looks like. Maybe put it in the last night if needed. Not sure they can do that and it may change our FBO.

Best,

Dave

Front Range hangar (unknown if space available this far out) is $867 for the week. Or, $189 first night, $169 following nights. Cars, vans, whatever you need from Hertz. 10 minutes from I-70.

Disadvantage - can't meet at Perfect Landing for lunch or dinner.

Looks like we're going to use Denver Jet. After making several calls and doing some homework, they seem to best meet out hangar, fuel, rental car and parking needs. Tac Air just wasn't as responsive and couldn't offer much as far as a hangar. Fuel is a bit higher here, but the combination of services is what we need.

Thanks for all comments.

Best,

Dave

Looks like we're going to use Denver Jet. After making several calls and doing some homework, they seem to best meet out hangar, fuel, rental car and parking needs. Tac Air just wasn't as responsive and couldn't offer much as far as a hangar. Fuel is a bit higher here, but the combination of services is what we need.

Thanks for all comments.

Best,

Dave
Selfserve at APA is some of the cheapest in Colorado. North on the ramp, look for the pump.

Flying in tonight to miss the frontal system coming in. We'll get in about 8:30 or 9:00 this evening.

Best,

Dave

I appreciate the heads up on the self serv. As has been said, we take Jet A and really don't self refuel. While I could do it, this plane can take almost 400 gallons of fuel. FBOs many times fuel two tanks at a time. One has to climb up on the wing to do the nacelle and Jet A is really stinky and long lasting if it gets on you. We can't move this ourselves on the ground either. So, we pick a good FBO and let the professionals help us.

Best,

Dave

I appreciate the heads up on the self serv. As has been said, we take Jet A and really don't self refuel. While I could do it, this plane can take almost 400 gallons of fuel. FBOs many times fuel two tanks at a time. One has to climb up on the wing to do the nacelle and Jet A is really stinky and long lasting if it gets on you. We can't move this ourselves on the ground either. So, we pick a good FBO and let the professionals help us.

Best,

Dave

Didn't realize 1) King Air and 2) jet only.

Dinner before you leave town next week?

500 foot ceilings last night in the ILS. Here's weather now. Good decision to fly in last night.

Dave
KAPA 011510Z 36011KT 1/2SM FZFG VV002 M08/M09 A2984 RMK AO2 I1001 T10831089
KAPA 011438Z 0115/0212 35010KT 1/4SM FZFG VV001
TEMPO 0117/0118 1SM BR OVC002
FM011800 36010KT 4SM BR SCT004 OVC009
TEMPO 0118/0119 1SM BR OVC005
FM011900 36009KT P6SM OVC009
FM012200 01008KT P6SM VCSH OVC015
TEMPO 0122/0202 1SM -SN BR OVC005
FM020200 36007KT 5SM BR OVC009
FM020600 32005KT 1SM BR OVC005

500 foot ceilings last night in the ILS. Here's weather now. Good decision to fly in last night.

Dave

Got a call from Ft Collins this morning about the vis at Centennial (KAPA). My reply: "Crappy weather. Horizontal snow. Can barely see the IKEA sign on the other side of the airport" which is about 2 sm away.

I thought it was a perfectly accurate report.

Dave
The weather must have gone down pretty quickly after we landed, which was about 7:15 pm. We were #4 for the visual.

Were you able to get a hangar?

Welcome to town, and glad the weather plan to beat it in worked out. I just got back from Florida to our little 12F cold snap. Heh. That'll wake ya up walking from the terminal to the shuttle van to the pickup truck. :)

Welcome to town, and glad the weather plan to beat it in worked out. I just got back from Florida to our little 12F cold snap. Heh. That'll wake ya up walking from the terminal to the shuttle van to the pickup truck. :)
In shorts?

We're planning on getting to Denver Jet for lunch about Noon. Will plan on leaving about 1:30. Happy to link up if anyone would like.

Best,

Dave

No, sorry I wasn't clear. Noon Sunday. In a mogel camp all day Friday and Saturday!
I'll be bumped out :)

Best,

Dave

MOGULS!?!?!?

You're too old for that . . . stuff.

Hell, I gave those up in my douche-bag 30's!

At least joint replacement techniques continue to improve, good luck! :D

Yesterday, I skied with an instructor working on technique. In the afternoon, we skied to Belle Fourche. We traversed from the normal trail and went where we were the only ones skiing. Here's a pic of our tracks. You'll have to blow it up in the middle. The entry was between two large rocks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Yesterday, I skied with an instructor working on technique. In the afternoon, we skied to Belle Fourche. We traversed from the normal trail and went where we were the only ones skiing. Here's a pic of our tracks. You'll have to blow it up in the middle. The entry was between two large rocks.

I hope the snow is safer there.. it is kiiling people right and left here with avalanches..:sad:

Last edited:
Back