Which browser

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
My Windows Internet explorer keeps locking up--it's getting very frustrating. Any suggestons on alternatives. I understand some of the alternatives are getting hacked now also.

Best,

Dave

I like Firefox. It has some very nice features which cut down on pop-ups and other adds.

I've been using Firefox for several months now and really like it. I installed the spell checker which made it even better.

Diana said:
I've been using Firefox for several months now and really like it. I installed the spell checker which made it even better.

How did you do that?

I'm using Firefox at work (Mac) and at home (PC). Saturday morning I launch Firefox only to discover that all of my bookmarked pages except the pre-loaded bookmarks were gone. I reloaded some of the pages into the bookmarked folder, but on Sunday morning all gone again. :confused::confused: Any ideas??

Frank, I don't think Firefox is completely closing when you close it out. If you are familiar, do a ctrl+alt+delete and look at the processes to see if FF is still running after you close the window.

Either way, make sure you're on the latest version.

Also, you can backup your bookmarks every once in a while by going to Bookmarks->Manage Bookmarks->File->Export.

I actually have an extension loaded up that exports my bookmarks to a file on the internet via FTP. This way I can synchronize my bookmarks between 3 different computers.

I've used FF for a long time now. It's the first browser that I was happy to leave Internet Explorer for. Much more secure and of course you can download all the goodies (extensions) from their website to further customize it for your needs.

+1 for FF

I like NetCaptor.

http://www.netcaptor.com

It is tabbed, has a good popup blocker, and uses "Mouse Gestures" which I have come to use so much I found a free application called "StrokeIt" which allows mouse gestures to be used in all windows apps. Basically you right click and draw shapes on the screen to execute commands like back, forward, search, save, close and such. You can "train" StrokeIt to do about anything you want.

NetCaptor also uses aliases for any website which allows you to type a letter or two to go to addresses. It'll also let you launch a search for example, with 1 letter. To google "airplanes" I just type g airplanes. It will launch Google and pass "airplanes" to the search engine.
I'm just plain lazy when it comes to typing.

Dave I would uninstall IE and then reinstall it first.

(make sure you have the exe file downloaded first - and better yet, another browser up and running like Netscape in case there are any problems!)

I have had similar problems with my browser so I uninstall it and a fresh reinstall fixes it, about every 6 months.

be careful about losing mail and bookmarks.

mmilano said:
Frank, I don't think Firefox is completely closing when you close it out. If you are familiar, do a ctrl+alt+delete and look at the processes to see if FF is still running after you close the window.

Either way, make sure you're on the latest version.

Also, you can backup your bookmarks every once in a while by going to Bookmarks->Manage Bookmarks->File->Export.

I actually have an extension loaded up that exports my bookmarks to a file on the internet via FTP. This way I can synchronize my bookmarks between 3 different computers.

I've used FF for a long time now. It's the first browser that I was happy to leave Internet Explorer for. Much more secure and of course you can download all the goodies (extensions) from their website to further customize it for your needs.

+1 for FF

Thank you Mike! I'll do that. Could it be a virus causing that to happen? I'm not much on PC's. They confuse me as opposed to Macs. I run Microsoft Antispyware and I have the Servise Pac II Windows update installed. Thanks.

i don't think it's a virus. Firefox has been through a few updates over the last few months. just un-install/re-install the latest and see if it works.

just fyi, the bookmarks directory is here: (replace things in <> with what applies to your computer)

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<some random string>.default\bookmarks.xml

you might want to check that file to identify exactly when it deletes the information, or if it ever wrote the information in the first place if the problem persists.

mmilano said:
i don't think it's a virus. Firefox has been through a few updates over the last few months. just un-install/re-install the latest and see if it works.

just fyi, the bookmarks directory is here: (replace things in <> with what applies to your computer)

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<some random string>.default\bookmarks.xml

you might want to check that file to identify exactly when it deletes the information, or if it ever wrote the information in the first place if the problem persists.

You da man! Thanks again Mike!:yes:

Dave Siciliano said:
My Windows Internet explorer keeps locking up--it's getting very frustrating. Any suggestons on alternatives. I understand some of the alternatives are getting hacked now also.

Best,

Dave

Use Firefox. If IE is locking up it's probably one or more pieces of crapware are fighting to see who gets to own IE and your PC. Run some spyware scanners, Spybot, AdAdware, and Microsoft's spyware fixer.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

mmilano said:

I've seen this problem when the Firefox task doesn't quit cleanly also.

Netscape version 8 which runs either the firefox or IE engine. Kind of schizophrenic. Tabbed browsing is included.
You might also upgrade your IE. IE is now some level of version 6.

Back