Which Aviation Magazines ?

Which aviation Magazines do you get?

• Total voters

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Which aviation magazines or periodicals do you get and why and what are your favorites. If some aren't listed in the poll just ad them here.

I get AOPA Pilot well because it comes with my membership and its not bad. I read some articles

I get Flying and Plane & Pilot because Alon got me a subscription. I do like Both but I have to say that Plane & Pilot is my favorite. Their articles address the type of flying I can do. While King Airs and Phenoms are awesome aircraft they are not really the kind of plans I'm gonna fly. I like AOPA Pilot but thier base is so much broader so they will often include those super expensive aircraft that just don't register in my world. Plane & Pilot seems to consistently address the type of flying that I do.

Oh I almost forgot I also get 'Pilot Get Aways' but the damn thing never shows up a very unreliable subscription in my opinion. Its fun to read when it does arrive but most of the destinations as way to far to make it practical for me to travel too.

Last edited:
Big one (and the most valuabel IMO) that is not on the list is Aviation Safety.

I currently get AOPA Pilot, Flying, Aviation Safety and Light Plane Maintenance.

I'm probably going to drop Flying as soon as my subscription is up - it has gone totally downhill over the last few years and not much worth reading in it anymore.

Being a life member of both EAA and AOPA, I get both. In addition, I get the EAA's Warbirds. I used to get Atlantic Flyer, but only for the articles. Sometimes, when I see it, I'll grab the freebie at the FBO. Pacific Flyer used to be a good one to get in March because they had listings for airshows around the world. Both though, are fairly regional.
I also get Piper Owners Society magazine (boy did I hate to say POS).
If I see Flying or Planes and Pilots on the shelf at the bookstore, I might grab it. They're nice to take along on those rides in the aluminum tubes.

I get AOPA and my Other is Aviation Safety.

AOPA Pilot, (used to get Flt Trng, but it got too redundant), Sport Pilot, Flying, Kitplanes, Aviation Week, Aerospace America(Journal of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics), Air & Space Smithsonian, Cessna Pilots, FAA Safety, and the e-versions

I no longer subscribe to any aviation pubs so I just read what Ted gets, sometimes. I used to really like Midwest Flyer and GA News but haven't read them in years.

Trade a Plane is about the only thing now that I will always pick up and flip through, the rest collect on the coffee table and provide a barrier for dust.

i get pretty much all of them for some reason

Every so often I get a free subscription to one of the aviation magazines, and either don't read it, or read it and discover I've overpaid. I do get the magazines for the organizations to which I belong. I am not long for AOPA, though I still read the EAA magazine. Fun to read about all those folks who built cool airplanes, even if it seems written by grade school students.

In addition to AOPA amd EAA, I also get Soaring and the Bungee Cord (Vintage Soaring newsletter). I Have to say I usually only skim EAA, and AOPA mag, but pretty much read the whole Soaring and VSA mags every time they get here.

I get Flying, EAA, AOPA and ABS (American Bonanza Society).

Enjoy 'em all.

Plane and Pilot
Flying
AOPA Flight Training
Car and Driver
Popular Science
Grassroots Motorsports
Family Handyman
Good Old Boat
Sailing
Sail

I guess I get a lot of magazines. The mailman must love me when the B&H and West Marine catalogs ship , as foe some reason I get two of each (probably because my wife has ordered stuff too from both)

I get Soaring, which I like to read. I also get AOPA Pilot (only because it comes with the membership) and sometimes get around to skimming it.

On occasion an issue of midwest flyer shows up for some reason.

I used to get Atlantic Flyer, but only for the articles.
Sure. "Only for the articles". Nothing to do with the pretty pictures. We believe you. ;)

Pretty much all the type clubs are missing from the list, but I also receive the Cessna Pilot's Association magazine. In fact, I'd keep it over Flying any day of the week.

Alaska Airmen Association is a great organization and they have a good newsletter in tabloid form. Even if I were to leave Alaska I would probably hang on to my membership.

Pretty much all the type clubs are missing from the list, but I also receive the Cessna Pilot's Association magazine. In fact, I'd keep it over Flying any day of the week.

Couldn't make the list that big so thats why "OTHER" appears as an option and folks can fill in why they get and why.

soaring, bungee cord, aopa. i think thats about it. like pete, i barely read aopa but read soaring and bungee cord about 15 times in the first week i have them.

Tony seems like most folks "skim" AOPA. I do as well but read Plane & Pilot cover to cover.

The only reason I get Flying is that it is a membership benefit from NAFI...if it were not for that, I would read it at the library for free. I take Aviation Safety, Aviation Consumer, IFR, EAA Sport Pilot, and Plane and Pilot.

Bob Gardner

Aviation Safety,AOPA Pilot, Flying, Plane & pilot, IFR, Aviation History, Flight Journal, General Aviation News, Air & Space.& Sporty's catalog.

Flying, so I can be reminded what a loser I am for not owning a PC-12, turbo-alley conversion, or the latest Embraer.

:rolleyes2:

AOPA Mag since I'm a member.

EAA Antique Airplanes so I can be reminded I'm not alone. :yes:

AOPA mag
EAA sport pilot
Air and Space
Idaho Aviation assoc
Kitplanes
Contact magazine..

Altho reading them cuts into my flying time.:nonod::rolleyes:

I forgot... The CAP national mag, which isn't exactly about flying but some... And the Colorado Pilot's Association Newsletter. ;)

And of course there's the ARRL magazine for those days you can't go flying...

And if this brand new camera "hobby" keeps up, I'll probably "need" some glossy examples of what a bad photographer I am to get me motivated. ;) Already caught myself looking at a 500mm lens for airshows last night online...

I don't give a crap. Pretty much, if you put pictures of airplanes in it, I'm gonna subscribe.

AOPA
EAA
Flying (yeah, a bit hifalutin, but come on, who didn't like that MU-2 article?)
Plane & Pilot. Yes, Bill Cox is the greatest of all. Ok. I get it.
Air & Space magazine
Trade-a-Plane
Aviation Consumer (great publication)
IFR (ok, but I really don't get why they publish IFR Refresher)

Cancelled
IFR Refresher (because it seemed realllllllllllllly duplicative)
Aviation Safety (because after "Don't run your gas tanks to empty, make sure you have enough room to take off, sump your tanks, and make sure your pax aren't fat. Oh, yeah, and make sure you don't suck as a pilot" what more is there to say??????????????????????

AOPA - because I've been a member forever
Flying - because someone posted info about a very inexpensive subscription recently
Business & Commercial Aviation - free subscription but it's probably the magazine I enjoy the most

I've been avoiding Aviation Consumer just because I know it's well-written by great people and it would convince me I need to buy more **** I don't need -- that should be money spent on AvGas. ;)

No love lost for Jeb and gang though. I really should subscribe just so they have another number to count in their quest for advertisers to pay the bills. Would hate to lose that resource.

Just Flying and AOPA Pilot for me. I've been thinking for a while about IFR or IFR refresher, though.

I used to get the NTSB reporter. I really enjoyed learning about the little mistakes that could kill. It was one of the few magazines that was more about facts and less about editorializing. I suppose some people would consider it dry reading, but then again I'm am one of the types that high school teachers encouraged to read more fiction books and less scientific books.... at least that is what they called the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge that I carried around to read during downtime in class. I just never enjoyed reading fictional books..... so I guess it stands to reason that I'm not a fan of editorials :lol:

I do read an online weather "magazine" if you want to think of it that way. They have several PDF's that are similar to the NTSB reporter's format. Makes for easy printing and reading later on. It's the COMET website, good stuff there :yes:

Otherwise, I find myself reading a lot more in the way of aviation related books then aviation magazines. My latest and greatest find was: Flying the Wing.

Bob

AOPA - because I've been a member forever
Flying - because someone posted info about a very inexpensive subscription recently
Business & Commercial Aviation - free subscription but it's probably the magazine I enjoy the most

Oh, do platell :yes:

Ok, so I really have no idea if that is how you spell that phrase or not, but I'm not really gonna worry about it anyway.

Oh, do platell :yes:

Ok, so I really have no idea if that is how you spell that phrase or not, but I'm not really gonna worry about it anyway.
I forget exactly where I got the free subscription other than it was online, but here is a site. http://techxtra.tradepub.com/free/bca/

You can also google "Business and Commercial Aviation free subscription" and get a number of other sites.

Back