Which Airport? - Ormond Beach, FL Area

focal_plane

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
focal_plane
I visit family periodically in Ormond. Over the past 15 years, I could find a hangar for a week or two (I think through MAC charters). That seems to be a thing of the past. The response I get now is: wait list in the hundreds, have a nice day. The Sunrise ramp at OMN seems a disaster with the flight training school and virtually no place to park transients. And there is some concern with the ramp/training activity that the plane gets some incidental punishment if you did find a spot. So, to the folks who visit like this or those who know the area, what do you do?

Other options:

Daytona
Flagler
Palatka
New Smyrna
?

I grew up in Ormond. Worked line at Daytona Beach Aviation in late 70s/early 80s. Learned to fly in an old Riddle 172 club plane then out of Ormond in a fellow’s 172, These airports have really changed over the years.

Just went through this with my father in law at OMN. Sunrise wasn't very interested in having him on their ramp for extended periods (2-3 weeks). Flagler was much more friendly/accommodating, and also more convenient in his case.

I"m based at KOMN. I wish I could recommend it to you. But it depends on your situation.

Sunrise is not an FBO. They are a flight school. They are nice enough people and they treat me ok, but if you are not a student, you are a distraction. They offer very few transient services. No courtesy car, no rental car, no local restaurant or hotel assistance. Tie down space if available, which is not always the case. I had a fellow POAer visit me one time and found out there was no tie down space even for one night in a 172. Fortunately, I knew someone on field that had a private tie-down they allowed her to use.

If you call ahead and they can reserve you a space, you may be ok if you need no other services besides fuel. (SS is $4.14). There are decent mechanics (A&P/IA) on field if you need sudden maintenance. But you will probably need to arrange your own transportation. I would only suggest KOMN if it is real convenient to your family. One possibility is that I could pick you up or drop you off if I'm free. And since I'm retired, that is a good possibility, especially if I have advance notice, so there is that.

KDAB (class Charlie) is not too bad and have pretty good facilities and services. But if you try to depart at the wrong time you may find your are #30 for take off behind all the Embry Riddle planes. But you can tell ground that you are not a student and request an intersection takeoff or an alternate runway in front of the crowd. Sometimes that works.

You didn't mention Deland (KDED). They are a non-towered airport with a decent FBO, but they are also pretty busy and you might have to dodge parachutes. I think they have six runways, but three of them are closed so you have to pay attention.

There are plenty of tiedowns at Flagler (FIN) these days. The puppy mill that's based here seems to have scaled back a bit. Self serve fuel is down, they have been honoring the SS price with full serve. Hangars are pretty tight, not sure if any short term options exist.

Thank you all for the inputs. The last few years I opted not to do the Christmas AZ to FL in the plane due to time and no hangar at OMN. Yeah, I know, it’s a spoiled plane, but I’ve seen too many Central FL Christmas tornados/hailstorms ruin things. We just have flown commercially into Orlando lately. With a little more time and flexibility now, we’re likely going to do a week or so in May in Ormond. I will make some calls to work some of these options but I won’t be bothering with Ormond anymore. Then off to WI.

Deland is on the list too.

One other offer I might make is that we do take occasional trips ranging from2 or 3 days to 3 weeks. We plan an 18 day trip in May and another similar one in late summer. We may take more later in the year.

If we happen to be out of town when you are here, I could allow you to use my T-Hangar at KOMN.

One other offer I might make is that we do take occasional trips ranging from2 or 3 days to 3 weeks. We plan an 18 day trip in May and another similar one in late summer. We may take more later in the year.

If we happen to be out of town when you are here, I could allow you to use my T-Hangar at KOMN.

Well, I wasn't quite expecting that; I'm picking jaw up. I can reciprocate if you all travel to AZ (Tucson/Marana/AVQ) or WI (Antigo/AIG). I usually expect to pay ~1 month rent for a week or two so I'll give a personal message to see if timing works.

Back