Which aircraft has the noisiest cockpit?

I've measured 100 dB in my Luscombe at full throttle. I don't fly her without a headset!

Is yours an E model? Seems like the lesser hp ones would be somewhat quieter, and someone mentioned that the F models are not as bad.

Why would you be looking for the loudest cockpit??

I'm not, just curious is all. I forgot to mention that I once rode in an Ayres Thrush Commander (a cropduster). Not bad with ear protection on, but even louder than the 8E without them. I took the headsets off for a few seconds just out of curiousity.

Is yours an E model? Seems like the lesser hp ones would be somewhat quieter, and someone mentioned that the F models are not as bad.

No, it's a 8A, but it has a cruise prop and minimal sound proofing, which probably contributes to the din. I have not checked the levels since replacing the exhaust system a year ago, so it may be a little less.

My friend says his Formula One racer is the loudest cockpit he has been in. At full race power he can't hear and it drowns out the mike if he want's to transmit. He has a state of the art helmet with earbuds. Don

On the outside it's pretty much any Garrett powered airplane!

P-51. Noisy, smelly and vibrates.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 31
B25 was the loudest plane I have ever been in. Cessna 207 spinning 2850 at takeoff on a -30 day is pretty damn loud too.

Love some of the quotes in that Wiki article:

"It was unsuited to combat due to the engine's 30 minute warm up time"

"[Test pilot] Hendrix also told the formidable Republic project engineer, 'You aren't big enough and there aren't enough of you to get me in that thing again.'"

"Test pilot Hank Beaird took the XF-84H up 11 times, with 10 of these flights ending in forced landings."

"The shock wave was actually powerful enough to knock a man down; an unfortunate crew chief who was inside a nearby C-47 was severely incapacitated during a 30-minute ground run. Coupled with the already considerable noise from the subsonic aspect of the propeller and the dual turbines, the aircraft was notorious for inducing severe nausea and headaches among ground crews. In one report, a Republic engineer suffered a seizure after close range exposure to the shock waves emanating from a powered-up XF-84H."

( ... and they never even used the afterburner that was installed in it!) :eek:

Found some video, 900 sonic booms per minute from the prop, lol.

Discussion about noise levels starts at 2:30.

Last edited:
Learfan. Idea scrapped after Lear's death due to noise.

What an unfortunate sentence construction. You had me google Bill Lear's cause of death.

A185F with the "bare" interior, full power takeoff can get a little loud, especially on smooth water.

I flew in a B-17 once and holy h*ll was that thing loud in the cockpit.

Strange. I flew in one once and was surprised at how (relatively) quiet it was. I figured it would be as loud as the hammers of hell, but it wasn't bad.

Strange. I flew in one once and was surprised at how (relatively) quiet it was. I figured it would be as loud as the hammers of hell, but it wasn't bad.

They may have added insulation, or perhaps it could depent on which part of the aircraft you're in. (I'm only guessing as I've never ridden in one and don't know anything about them).

I would guess that any of the top unlimiteds at Reno (Strega, Voodoo, Rare Bear) would be ridiculous in the noise dept as well.

Back