Which ADSB out solutions have “privacy” options

I am secure in the knowledge that nobody gives a crap where I am.

You (and most everyone else) have particular rights that we don't value. That doesn't mean it is OK for "The man" to incrementally chip away at those rights until only the rights supported by the majority of voters remain standing. Any time a person's rights are challenged (freedom, privacy, religion, whatever), it is important to push back hard lest we lose a bunch of rights over time.

ADS-B will sure put a wrench in the old “accidentally transposed my call sign” approach when you’re flying IFR to see your girlfriend while your wife stays home.

The good news is that ADS-B OUT should prevent the two cases I've had where my plane is logged as flying when and where it wasn't, especially including that time I got an inquiry from an FAA inspector when my plane had been parked in the hangar for days.

I've been fortunate to have infiltrated the system long ago... and I call tell y'all that, unless you're burglarizing houses and robbing people, we don't have the time nor the inclination to bother with the mundane details of everyone lives. Take it for what it's worth.

I do love me some license plate readers though. Makes it REALLY easy to find bad guys and stolen cars.

been known to make plate unreadable when traveling, "accidentally" to remove possibility of redlight cameras and such from getting tag, many stop lights wont trip with motorcycles, & if you go through you risk ticket if it is equipped, so when a few guys ride together, they sometimes make sure their duffle bag "shifts" & covers plate to make it unreadable, not for any other bad reasons, but just to avoid getting a ticket, when the lights wont change. if you do get pulled, a simple tug on duffle bag will reveal plate. but when traveling like that, all road cameras wont pick it up, so I go from 1 place to another hundreds of miles away off camera, but not done a road trip in around 3 years, but usually have done a big one every 2 years for many decades

For everyone here that thinks they have any shred of privacy left........ trust me, you don’t.
If the general public knew how much of what they think is private is actually “fairly” accessible to anyone with the knowledge, there would be outrage.

I sent something to the FAA to block monitoring of my transponder signal. You can't follow me on Flightaware, but you can on other sites.

I hope more products are offered with Privacy mode. It seems strange to me that the lower end Garmin products contain this feature but their higher end transponders do not.

I guess I could always form an LLC somewhere and register and own the aircraft within that. At least that would reduce the risk of seeing my assets and potentially my real-time location when you simply Google my name. Keeping that info somewhat private would reduce my risk of kidnapping / ransom when I travel to strange places.

As strange as it sounds for me to say this I really don’t mind that the FAA knows where I am and who I am. It is the general public with Internet access that scares me more.

Back