which ads b is cheapest for traffic in 530

alaskan9974

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
alaskan9974
which transponder will provide traffic in on a 530? Garmin shop wants to sell a gtx 345, is there anything cheaper that will do traffic in and ads out? Waiting on the field approval for the g3x to finalize and I was hoping to do the transponder at the same time.

If the 530'does not have WAAS, there's more money involved.

which transponder will provide traffic in on a 530? Garmin shop wants to sell a gtx 345, is there anything cheaper that will do traffic in and ads out? Waiting on the field approval for the g3x to finalize and I was hoping to do the transponder at the same time.

If you have ADS-B out (via a transponder or UAT) then any ADS-B in as as good as any other (Garmin GDL39, Stratus, Flightbox, etc.). "Certified" ADS-B in products are no better that portable ones in that regard. If you feel the need, you can even have antennas mounted and connected to your portable unit if it makes you feel better. If you don't have have ADS-B in or out, then a In/Out UAT may be your most economical solution, with your existing transponder. Eventually you'll need replace an older transponder, so it makes sense in the long run to consider the new route with a KT-74, Trig transponder, the Garmin 345, (or upgradeable 330ES) Appareo unit, etc. The first two need WAAS from your GPS for your ADS-B out, and the last two provide both ADS-B in and out. If you already have the ADS-B position out, then it's a waste of money to get an installed ADS-B In solution when you can get a portable solution for under $600.00 with Zero install cost. I installed a KT-74 interfaced with my 430W in 2015 and have "In" with a GDL-39-3D and it works great. Total cost, installed ($3500) and I got $500 in trade for my old KT-76A transponder, making it $3000 even (I already had the GDL39).

It has waas, I use ForeFlight and stratus but would be nice to see traffic, even redundantly on the 530 but I don’t want to buy a 345 just to do it.

Actually Alaskan, you could probably pick up a Navworx 600B (with ARINC429) really cheap, and it would display IN traffic on your 530W, as well as on tablets, etc. Any cheap transponder would work with the unit too as long as the Navworx came with a TransMon. Of course you would utilize the 530W as the position source, therefore complying with the AD using the AMOC. The unit is easy to install or your A&P can do it (but it would require an IA signoff). I bet you could be 2020 compliant for less than $300 if you find someone that can no longer use their 600B and is willing to sell it. Post as a "Looking For" or WTB and see what happens. I had that setup in my Cardinal (with a 430W) and it worked wonderfully.

Back