Which active traffic system????

jonrood

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jonrood
I am purchasing a new plane that doesn't have a traffic system on it. I want an installed system not a portable I want to know your opinion on which one is the best in regards to performance and cost......Go

Eye balls :dunno:

I have TIS on my plane, doubt I'll go beyond that, I'm ether low level where most other folks aren't, or I'm IFR and separation is on the controllers screen.

Eyeballs are important, but it is a big sky and it is easy to miss something. Just yesterday we were entering a busy airport and the Ipad w Stratus came in very helpful with finding the three planes that were cleared to land in front of us, and the one cleared behind us. But I would like to have a separate display for traffic. When traffic get's close, our 530w switches to the TIS screen, but then we lose the moving map for a few minutes, so I would like to have dedicated traffic screen. Except for the $$$ and the panel space.

Garmin Aera with GDL39 - or something similar. It's portable, and you can take it to a rental plane if you need to and you get weather additionally.

Garmin Aera with GDL39 - or something similar. It's portable, and you can take it to a rental plane if you need to and you get weather additionally.

I agree, stick with a portable solution. If you have your own plane, then the 796 in an AirGizmo dock with GDL-9 3D feeding it makes a very nice right side panel. With the money you save over a dedicated Cerified installation, you can get and install a digital engine display that opens up a lot of panel space and gets you fuel flow.

Probably depends a bit on what kind of plane and how much you are willing to spend. Portable with ADS-B may very well be your best solution depending on budget but isn't as robust as a permanently installed, active traffic system.

I have a Garmin GTS800 active system and it catches a lot more traffic than I pick up from my Stratus 2 on my iPad. And that's with an active ADS-B out 1090ES transponder. Before I had ADS-B out, I'd pick up very little traffic - maybe 1/4- 1/5 of what I would see on the Garmin system. Now with ADS-B out, it's probably close to 60-70% but it still misses some. On the flipside, I have never seen a situation where the traffic is picked up on ADS-B but not on the built in traffic.

It is also much better integrated into my avionics with multiple displays of traffic and visual and audio callouts when things get close. But that may not be relevant depending on your panel.

Last edited:
I wonder why you're still missing traffic on the Stratus? Supposedly, if you are in ADS-B range, you should see everything the controller sees, right?

I wonder why you're still missing traffic on the Stratus? Supposedly, if you are in ADS-B range, you should see everything the controller sees, right?
Unless your airplane is equipped with ADS-B Out (configured to show you have 978 in) traffic is hit or miss.

If you consider ADS-B in/out to be 'active traffic' then the NGT-9000 Lynx MSS would seem to be a good solution. It's certainly nice to have a full time traffic display right in your scan, with no wires or consumer devices involved.

If you consider ADS-B in/out to be 'active traffic' then the NGT-9000 Lynx MSS would seem to be a good solution. It's certainly nice to have a full time traffic display right in your scan, with no wires or consumer devices involved.

Over eight grand plus installation! It would be nice to have this, but frankly it is priced beyond what I am prepared to pay!

GTS 800. I can't depend on ADS-B as coverage is limited in Utah. I have found the GTS 800 to work very well.

I am purchasing a new plane that doesn't have a traffic system on it. I want an installed system not a portable I want to know your opinion on which one is the best in regards to performance and cost......Go

Not enough information. What avionics are in the plane? Do you have WAAS GPS installed? That will play into your options.

ADSB-In is nice, but unreliable.

So, ADSB via a Stratus or clone *and* a PCAS system such as Monroy ATD-300 like I just picked up used here on POA. ;-)

Go portable and fixed. Stratus on foreflight,and Garmin 330 es ADSB out,shows on my 430,530 w units.

GTS 800. I can't depend on ADS-B as coverage is limited in Utah. I have found the GTS 800 to work very well.

I wonder why they shafted the west, but there are towers all over the east coast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back