Whew!

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Send something in for annual inspection and required repairs to make it airworthy, and you hold your breath....

This years laundry list of things that needed to be done:

ELT battery replacement
Air filter replacement
O-ring replacement on parking brake set valve.
Adjust shims on oil pump (pressure was higher than I wanted it)

That's it. :D

Sounds like an afternoon's worth of work with parts from AutoZone... Oh wait.. You fly one of those 'certified' planes. Good luck with that! :D

The real question, though: What things are there that aren't required but that you're interested in doing are there?

Most of the work at my annuals/100-hours aren't need-to-haves, they're want-to-haves.

The real question, though: What things are there that aren't required but that you're interested in doing are there?

Most of the work at my annuals/100-hours aren't need-to-haves, they're want-to-haves.

Oh we already took care of those with the oil cooler and the push pull rods...
And starting the process on the capacitance senders for the fuel instead of the floats.

Oh we already took care of those with the oil cooler and the push pull rods...
And starting the process on the capacitance senders for the fuel instead of the floats.

Yeah, but it's still ugly. :D

Send something in for annual inspection and required repairs to make it airworthy, and you hold your breath....

ELT battery replacement
Air filter replacement

Could that last one ( shims on the oil pump) have been the cause of the stoppage in the filter in Tennessee?

I'm going to be doing some corrosion proofing this year I think, and might get my gap seals back. I asked my mechanic for an estimate on that.

Could that last one ( shims on the oil pump) have been the cause of the stoppage in the filter in Tennessee?

Nope. Was from the oil filter itself. Would have been impossible for it to have been anything else. My oil pressure was just higher than I'd normally like it. Was at 95 PSI during normal ops.

I'm going to be doing some corrosion proofing this year I think, and might get my gap seals back. I asked my mechanic for an estimate on that.

Gap seals will VASTLY improve takeoff and landing distances - and speeds.

Gap seals will VASTLY improve takeoff and landing distances - and speeds.

Yup. I've just been holding out for the good ones from LoPresti. The stuff I had (tape) wears out. But I did notice the speed deficit when they were removed.

Knots2U worked great on my previous Cherokee. I don't recall if they were cheaper than LoPresti or not. Most stuff is.

Holding my breath, but I expect my list of repairs will be a bit longer. Or maybe everything that was about to break already did and the list will be short.

Nononono. Note to self: don't jinx yourself by saying things like that. :eek:

My airplane partner claims to know LoPresti and says he can get us a good discount. Just gotta get the plane down to Florida.

My airplane partner claims to know LoPresti and says he can get us a good discount. Just gotta get the plane down to Florida.

And how much will the fuel cost to get it down there and back? Sounds like driving from Westerville to Lancaster to save 6 cents on 87 octane. I just had K2u UPS em to me and had the A&P install em at annual.

If you're going to Florida anyway maybe. Around what $900 in fuel to get there and back?

I am working on finishing the squawk list on the NG-1. Hopefully it will be ready for inspection this weekend. Gotta get my Cherokee ready for the season too. It doesn't turn to a pumpkin until May 1 though.

And how much will the fuel cost to get it down there and back? Sounds like driving from Westerville to Lancaster to save 6 cents on 87 octane. I just had K2u UPS em to me and had the A&P install em at annual.

If you're going to Florida anyway maybe. Around what $900 in fuel to get there and back?

About $500. But I do get a trip to Fla. and I get to fly a bunch of hours, which is way different than just cutting a check. It will probably never come to pass, and I'll probably just have that tape crap put back on. But a fellow is allowed to dream a little, isn't he?

Yup. I've just been holding out for the good ones from LoPresti. The stuff I had (tape) wears out. But I did notice the speed deficit when they were removed.

I have Loprestis. Yes, the Art Matteson tape style gap seals wear out, but the anti-chafe tape on the Loprestis wears out as well. That requires removing all the seals and re-applying the chafe tape, then putting them all back on.

I have thought hard about pulling the Loprestis and putting the Art Matteson's on.

ELT battery replacement
Air filter replacement

Know what you mean. Was going to send an oil cooler out for overhaul when Charlie goes in next week. Tick tock. But I found a yellow tagged one instead for about the same cost :)

Ailerons rerigged. Install LED landing lights. Figure out why my single probe CHT gauge stopped working. VFR static and transponder test. Nothing much else.

Except that I'm also considering a top. Yikes.

Last edited:
We bailed on the LED landing lights because our shop says they'll be a Whelen distributor by next Annual.

We could have ordered and he'd put 'em in but we'll just see if we can milk another halogen along for one more year.

One of them will probably pop in a few months and I'll get PO'ed enough to buy the Whelens at Oshkosh on sale from someone.

Back