Whew. Finally finished.

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
Well, I'm back.

I finally moved the last of my clients' accounts that were on one server to another server. What a pain.

The connection at the old datacenter had become so unstable that the tarballs kept getting corrupted when I tried to move multiple accounts. So I had to move them one-by-one in the middle of the night. That was the only way I could get good checksums and avoid disruption for the clients. During the day it was hopeless; and it was far from perfect even in the wee hours. Slooooooooow and unreliable.

I actually felt sad when I shut down the old VPS. The server itself was healthy and robust. The datacenter, however, was a nightmare. I kind of felt like I was pulling the plug on an old friend. What a shame.

The hosting company was such a good company for so long, but this new datacenter they moved to is going to put them out of business. They're losing accounts left and right. (If anyone wants to know the name of the DC -- to avoid it at all costs -- PM me. What I have to say about them would likely get me sued were I to say it on a public forum.)

I have VPS's at several different companies and several different datacenters. Jesse is right; I should just take the plunge and either go dedicated or collocate at a local DC (we have some good ones within less than an hour of me). What I pay for the separate VPS's could pay for a dedicated or for collocation.

But until this recent fiasco, I have never had any major problems using VPS's, thank God. I try to choose quality companies and not shop by price alone. But I also like having several different providers, just because I don't like relying on any one company for anything that's mission-critical.

In any case, it's good to be done with the moves. Several dozen accounts were moved with no downtime and no loss of mail except for some mail on the account that was also the hostname of the old VPS, due to permissions problems after the transfer (duh!). Well, live and learn, I always say.

Rich

Back