Where's Greebo been?

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Been sick for days. :dunno: Going to try to work from home and go to the doctors today.
evileye.gif
Had to go to DC yesterday for work with a fever of 102.1.
icon_evil.gif
icon_evil.gif
icon_evil.gif
(My baseline is (or was) around 97 so thats a HIGH fever for me).
icon_redface.gif

Haven't been reading or posting other than threads I'm really interested in.:dunno: Haven't been up for much of anything.:dunno: Sure as heck haven't been up for doing anything constructive here... :hairraise: Hope you are all better than I am right now. :frog: See you soon.
floored.gif

Greebo said:
Been sick for days. :dunno: Going to try to work from home and go to the doctors today.
evileye.gif
Had to go to DC yesterday for work with a fever of 102.1.
icon_evil.gif
icon_evil.gif
icon_evil.gif
(My baseline is (or was) around 97 so thats a HIGH fever for me).
icon_redface.gif

Haven't been reading or posting other than threads I'm really interested in.:dunno: Haven't been up for much of anything.:dunno: Sure as heck haven't been up for doing anything constructive here... :hairraise: Hope you are all better than I am right now. :frog: See you soon.
floored.gif

I hope you get better soon.

side note: wow - thats a lot of emoticons in one post! :D

Good gravy. You're sporting quite an infection there. Been there, including the on the road part. A hand full of asprin (or advil) and a hot lemonaide will fix you right up. Well, that and a good 12 hour snooze.
Be well.

yuck! glad you are a little better. going to DC at any time is daunting let alone with a raging fever.

Sorry to hear about your illness. Get well soon.

Well Chuck ,my 2 cents. Drink lots of Tequilla and Tabasco. It will either cure you or Kill you. Dave
P.S. hope you feel better soon.

Can I skip the Tobasco?

And thanks gang! I'm feeling loads better today. Got to the doc's (Patient First, actually) yesterday and got loaded up on antibiotics. This has, believe it or not, just been another sinus infection. I get them from time to time, but this one was worse than any in recent memory. My normal temp is 97.2 or so and on several days my fever was at or over 102.4. Yesterday it finally came down below 99, and now that I'm on Biaxin I'm sure I'll keep feeling better as the days pass. The thing with sinus infections is they NEVER go away without antibiotic help.

Hmm - I wonder - is there anything out there one can use to ... I dunno.. flush ones sinuses? Sounds disgusting, I know but...dang if I'm not convinced it would help me recover... Esp. if I were to flush with saline and just a touch of alcohol. ;)

Greetings from a fellow Biaxin user! Yes, I am recovering from a sinus infection, too. I don't think there is a lot you can do to prevent them.... I've tried everything, including the operation (septoplasty and partial turbinectomy) which helped a lot (reduced the frequency of acute infections) but did not "cure" me.

So I'm sufferin' right along with you!

-Skip :( :( :(

including the operation (septoplasty and partial turbinectomy)
What does this involve and what does it do?

I've heard of sinus operations (I'm an allergy sufferer and am perpetually clogged, thus the regular infections) and am curious.

Please to be enlightening me!

Greebo said:
What does this involve and what does it do?

I've heard of sinus operations (I'm an allergy sufferer and am perpetually clogged, thus the regular infections) and am curious.

Please to be enlightening me!

First, my problem is frequent acute sinusitis that is NOT allergy related. So the cause-effect path for your situation may be completely different. Definitely, YMMV.

A septoplasty is to cure a deviated septum. Mine was deviated when I broke my nose in a car accident many years ago. It was slightly deviated and the advice from several MDs consulted over the years was that the deviation was too small so that repairing would not make a material difference. I respected that advice for years but finally went forward out of desperation.

The turbinates are the fleshy gizmos in your upper nose. Some of them were removed.

The operation was outpatient. I was home that afternoon. Pretty darn painless; I had a bandage on my nose for a few days and looked like WC Fields for a few days until the swelling went down.

I went from 8 - 10 infections per year (MD diagnosed and treated, I don't count the little ones) to maybe two per year. I consider the operation a succss and I would have it again knowing what I know now.

Mostly when I get hammered with an infection now, I can't believe that I felt this bad for all those years before the operation. As you well know, they are very debilitating!

-Skip

Greebo said:
Hmm - I wonder - is there anything out there one can use to ... I dunno.. flush ones sinuses?
Snort a saline solution. I've done it many times and it doesn't seem to help!

I have also had my sinus cavity irrigated. This was done by a doctor who was legendary among medical professionals. Dr. Max Som, now deceased. He was 85 when he worked on me.

The treatment involved inserting a thin tube into the sinus through the natural opening and flushing it out with a medicated saline solution. As a profession, the ENT guys (that is what they used to call themselves, now they are Otolaryngoligists and can charge more because of the more impressive title :D ) gave up on this treatment because the results, although good, were temporary and the procedure was so painful that the patient would march out of the office never to be seen again.

Dr. Som was a craftsman among those in his profession. There was some discomfort but no pain. And ... infection free for 6 months!:goofy:

Then he had to go and die. I'm sure he would have rather been irrigating sinuses....

-Skip

Last edited:
Greebo said:
Hmm - I wonder - is there anything out there one can use to ... I dunno.. flush ones sinuses? Sounds disgusting, I know but...dang if I'm not convinced it would help me recover... Esp. if I were to flush with saline and just a touch of alcohol. ;)

Irrigator
http://www.alerg.com/page/A/PROD/SST/SST2000?gclid=CP-3zt3HpIICFUUBGgod6lPmhw

How to do one without an irrigator
http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/allergiesasthma/a/SinusIrrigation.html

another set of instructions
http://www.onlineallergycenter.com/nasalirrigation/

I've never done this or seen anyone do it. Neither set of instructions says anything about alcohol.

Thanks, Skip - I only usually get 1 to 2 infections a year, so I think I'll pass on surgery.

And Thanks Carol, I'll check those out! :)

I had the septoplasty and turbinate reduction, as well as polyps removed from the sinuses, after years of sinus infections and killing my digestive system and (I think) my immune system by chronic and nearly constant doses of antibiotics. I'm pleased to report that I've not had a sinus infection in the 7 years since the operation. I occasionally use a netti pot for sinus flushes when I get the occasional congestion and cold symptoms.

Back