Where's Dr. Bruce?

Bill and Jim, here is my experience. My son's medical, for a healthy 21 year old with NO medical issues, cost $175. My Canadian medical cost $250. My medical with Dr. Bruce was less than my son's medical, and the medical PLUS the consulting was slightly higher than my Canadian medical.

Dr. Bruce spent time on a work up as to my issues. Gave me a list of things I needed, i.e. letters, reports of tests, reports of CPAP compliance etc. Spent time emailing back and forth. He spent an hour on the phone with me prior to me filling out the MedXpress and explaining how to do it AND telling me that even though it wasn't obvious, the OSA was required to be disclosed. I then came down to Peoria, and had the exam. He submitted it to the FAA right then while I waited, and discussed my particulars with the FAA doctor on the other end of the phone. He must have spent probably 4 hours on my case. I figure the hourly rate was about $75. The fact that I got my medical was priceless. Dr. Bruce in my opinion, is a saint when it comes to AME stuff. I really don't care about his reaction to RV flyers, or other non-medical stuff. He is perhaps one of the best AMEs out there, and in my opinion, we on this board lost a valuable resource because of the ignorance and stupidity of a few. I am thankful I have Dr. Bruce as a resource and friend.

When visiting Dr Bruce in October for my Class III medical, I learned that my SI has been dropped. :) :) :) I don't ever have to see him again! But I asked him if he would mind if I still used him for my lowly Class III, and he said absolutely. And that's what I plan to do, for as long as I can continue to fly, or as long as Dr Bruce stays in business. Why not support the guy who supported me?

When visiting Dr Bruce in October for my Class III medical, I learned that my SI has been dropped. :) :) :) I don't ever have to see him again! But I asked him if he would mind if I still used him for my lowly Class III, and he said absolutely. And that's what I plan to do, for as long as I can continue to fly, or as long as Dr Bruce stays in business. Why not support the guy who supported me?
You may develop a SI type medical problem in the future so still not a bad idea to go to him for your routine exams.

You may develop a SI type medical problem in the future so still not a bad idea to go to him for your routine exams.

Well, there's that too, but I try not to think about it. ;)

But that's a good point. I know numerous examples of people who have gone to "ordinary" AMEs only to be tossed into FAA hell for months and months at a time while it gets sorted out, if it can be sorted out at all.

Back