Where to train for CFI?

BlueSkyz

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
--
I have my commercial, multi, instrument and got those all with the same instructor. He's good, but not great. My last check ride made me realize he didn't do enough to make sure I was prepared, and I'm ready for a new approach. I am trying to decide where to do the CFI training. The catch is that I own a share in the planes where he teaches, so it's cheaper to train there. If I go elsewhere, it's a longer drive and more expensive. Is it worth it?

I've also heard that it's best to train where you want to teach. My current instructor's school is very small, which could be ok, since I'd only be doing it part-time, but the small number of planes is also limiting. One larger school is an option, but has it's own problems with doing maintenance on the cheap and mostly hiring time-builders (which I'm not). Third option has a lot of experienced instructors and good reputation, but I don't know them.

Follow up question: Advice on how to "try out" some other instructors?

Train where you want to teach.

Also don't worry about the instruction for CFI, it's really 95% self study, you're moving from being a student to a teacher, you should already know all the material or at least where to find the answers, as well as how to fly the plane.

Also don't worry about the instruction for CFI, it's really 95% self study, you're moving from being a student to a teacher, you should already know all the material or at least where to find the answers, as well as how to fly the plane.

Agree 100%.

Train where you want to teach.

It's nice if you can, but the job market is such that in most cases you don't really have to anymore.

On the instructor "try out" establish your criteria. Take the time to write it down so that you can evaluate, record results, and modify.

Right now I'm focusing on level of focus on task at hand and ability to train to a standard. I've been disappointed too many times in the past to tolerate much BS.

I think flying with another CFI might be good for you. Get another perspective on training. But if you don't want to fly where Joyce been training, go elsewhere.

Back